Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Post your media interests here.

Re: Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Postby Shad Shadson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am

To Pimp a Butterfly is beautiful, in a word. Mortal Man is definitely one of the high points on the album for me, followed by U, These Walls, King Kunta,Alright,How Much A Dollar Cost (just because it really reminds me of the roots for some reason I think) and The Blacker The Berry in no real order. That's not to say the other songs are lack luster or bad; in fact they're just as well made. I feel like this album will be one of those where my 'fave songs in the album' constantly switch, a lot like it was with Oxymoron, Good Kid MAAD City and Undun.

I don't think mr. Needledrap Fantano's final score is correct personally, but I would definitely give it a high 8-solid 9, and definitely call it the best album kendrick has dropped thus far.

Best Albums of 2015 so far:

1.To Pimp a Butterfly
2.Tetsuo and Youth
3.???

We'll see what happens this year, but I have this strange feeling that my top 3 is gonna have both To Pimp a Butterfly and Tetsuo and Youth on it. Mural ALONE probably makes this album worth a spot in my top 5-10 this year I think (it's easily probably gonna top my best single of the year unless a miracle happens, because imo NOTHING in TPAB even touches Mural, albeit the album on a whole is just better overall.)

I was really hoping 700 fill would be worth a spot on my list, but it's just an out an out disappointment from a group who dropped such a stellar album not 6 months ago.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby socks » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:35 am

I found myself really trying to like 700 Fill, like a lot. I have a soft spot for Wiki's music and the disappointment of 700 Fill made me sad.
To Pimp A Butterfly on the other hand is a Solid 9, but i really didn't listen to anything from Kendrick prior to it and thought it was going to be shit, so i was heavily surprised at how much i liked it. While it has a spot for my favorite albums right now i don't think it's going to be #1. I mean, unless every other artist gave up this year. Also Mural is pretty good.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Daniël » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Just started listening to Jarren Benton's new album and that shit is pretty raw so far. Anyone else listened to it yet?

As for To Pimp a Butterfly, I reckon it's a really great album, but slightly over-hyped. Some of the best tracks on it were already released before the album, but there are still some classics on it. I really can't get into For Free? and King Kunta though, they're (in my personal opinion) some of Kendrick's most garbage tracks he released thusfar.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Daniël » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:03 am

phpBB [video]
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Pistol » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am

Hopsin sucks, shitty rapper for angsty white kids who can't properly into hiphop.

Did anyone listen to Summertime '06 yet? I thought it was pretty good but none of the tracks were as good as the stuff Vince released on his EP last year. Very excited for more Vince Staples releases in the future though, he has huge potential.
phpBB [video]
PistolOffline
VIP

Postby Gage » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Pistol wrote:Hopsin sucks, shitty rapper for angsty white kids who can't properly into hiphop.

same

Not really hiphop but I've been digging a lot of garage I've been finding with MC in them
phpBB [video]
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Lolzafish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 am

garage? is this 1995 in London wtf
LolzafishOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Daniël » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

Pistol wrote:Hopsin sucks, shitty rapper for angsty white kids who can't properly into hiphop.

I reckon his lyrics have more content than anything Staples has ever produced.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Pistol » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Daniël wrote:I reckon his lyrics have more content than anything Staples has ever produced.

Based on what? He's the rapping equivalent of a self-help book, he doesn't say anything of any particular meaning, just points out obvious flaws in society as if he's such a genius that people couldnt figure them out, then again maybe Hopsin's audience is as stupid as he assumes if they eat up the shit he writes. Not to mention, are you familiar with all of Staples' work? That's such a ridiculous claim.

Not to mention the terrible cliché and melodramatic production Hopsin used on that track that's just an embarrassing attempt to make what he's saying profound.
PistolOffline
VIP

Postby Four » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:14 pm

ok
FourOffline
VIP

Postby Lolzafish » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

http://www.soundflaw.com/index.php?a=tr ... &song=vvvv

when drake destroys your whole career (what career)
LolzafishOffline
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Media