Burning out

Random discussions belong here.

Burning out

Postby ThaP1vMaster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Every once and a while, I get a really good idea for a pivot animation, and know pretty much right off the bat what it should look like and play like. Unfortunately, after I finish writing a script for the animation, I almost always get burned out just from thinking of how much work is ahead of me (I animate the first 10 seconds and that's it). There's also school and personal responsibilities, and I don't have a computer, so I'm using my brother's computer which he occupies half the time. So I quit the project (I don't delete my scripts) and a few weeks pass when another great idea comes to mind, and the vicious cycle repeats. Does anyone here who has created a video longer than 30 seconds have a solution to this? I'd like for this vicious cycle to go stop and be put to bed. And possibly smuthered with a pillow while it's asleep. Helpful feedback is appreciated!
ThaP1vMasterOffline

Re: Burning out

Postby Grams » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Perseverance is the bane of any animators existence. I know that doesn't help, but there isn't much you can do to motivate yourself.
The only advice I have is to not blow all of your load in a short period of time. As in, don't go so ham on an animation that you lose interest within a couple days. Keep a steady pace. Tell yourself to complete 10, 20, or 30 frames a day and stick to that, even when you aren't feeling it.
Hope this helps.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby ThaP1vMaster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:29 pm

ThaP1vMasterOffline

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:22 pm

The best advice that I was given, is if your tired of working on an animation, get up and go do something else for 15 minutes. Grab a drink, go outside, watch a short video. Just something to take your mind off the animation. Then come back and you'll probably want to work on it a little more. I used to and still do animate for like 2-3 hours at a time. It's really not a good idea to do that, but I still do on occasion. It just depends on how interested you are in finishing the project you had in mind.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Caleb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Raymond wrote:The best advice that I was given, is if your tired of working on an animation, get up and go do something else for 15 minutes. Grab a drink, go outside, watch a short video. Just something to take your mind off the animation. Then come back and you'll probably want to work on it a little more. I used to and still do animate for like 2-3 hours at a time. It's really not a good idea to do that, but I still do on occasion. It just depends on how interested you are in finishing the project you had in mind.

This. It applies to anything outside of animation too. I try to work hard for 45 minutes to an hour, then I take a 10-15 minute break. Whenever I find myself without inspiration, I just do something else for a couple minutes then come back to see if it's better now.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Return to Spam Pit Everything & Anything