Friends

Random discussions belong here.

Friends

Postby Lord » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm

I was thinking a while ago and the thought resurfaced...

Would you consider others here on DD... friends?

I was thinking if I would consider people here as friends, the reason why I never thought about it before was because I simply liked being here because of the interesting things that happen. But then I started to think more about it (something I do too much with nearly everything, sometimes yielding results that nobody else got, sometimes starting obsessions) and I thought about all the names of the people I see hear, and I wonder, 'could I trust anyone here with my personal life? are these people any more to me than just a name on a screen?'

I'm still thinking about it, hopefully this doesn't get me going on an obsession and cloud my mind for the next few days.
What do you think about it?

Here's the definition of a friend if it might be of any help, to you and me.
'A person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection'

Just something to think about.

(Also, this probably belongs in the debate section or something but since I thought it was a random discussion, I thought I'd put it here)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Re: Friends

Postby Caleb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm

The people that I talk to frequently here I would definitely consider friends. I mean, I've never seen them in real life, but I've talked with them a ton and it's just cool to hang around with people from here. I'd be sad if I suddenly didn't get to talk with someone anymore too, for whatever reason that'd be.

Yup, they're definitely friends.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Grams » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 pm

If you mean in general, certainly. People who have been members for years and years have built bonds and relationships on here. It probably wouldn't be a stretch to say some have met their closest friends on here.

Personally, I haven't been on the site very long, so I wouldn't say I have really any "friends" on here. But, I suppose I have a couple acquaintances. As you said, I just like being here. It's an interesting place.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Caleb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Grams wrote:If you mean in general, certainly. People who have been members for years and years have built bonds and relationships on here. It probably wouldn't be a stretch to say some have met their closest friends on here.

Personally, I haven't been on the site very long, so I wouldn't say I have really any "friends" on here. But, I suppose I have a couple acquaintances. As you said, I just like being here. It's an interesting place.

Yeah, I suppose time does play a pretty big role here. Although I started talking with Steve (Koolcid) like a couple months ago and I'd consider him a friend now too. I guess it's just about happening upon the right people.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Lord » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Another factor I'd consider is the peoples names. Like, I don't really have a clue who most of you are beyond which continent you live on.
The Post a picture of yourself thread helps too with that, I'd need more than just a name and an avatar to have anything more than a neutral relationship with someone.
I think we're all familiar with Mat now in the PAPOY thread. XD

But seriously though, as an example I'd use Jojishi and Mat.
Now, I'm not trying to say bad things about either, but Mat frequently posts pictures and occasionally some facts about his personal life, whilst Jojishi hasn't uploaded a single picture and shares close to nothing about his personal life.
Now, I am NOT saying that Mat is in some way better than Joji, (or maybe he is, I dunno') I really like both of you for different reasons, but I feel more of a social connection with Mat than Joji.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Josh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:23 pm

LordPivot wrote:Jojishi hasn't uploaded a single picture and shares close to nothing about his personal life.

He has uploaded a picture of himself before and shared info about his personal life. He just doesn't do it as often as Mat.

I can find very good friendship in people, tbh it helps more if I don't know what they look like. As much as I hate myself for it, I am somewhat shallow and will have trouble talking to you to begin if you're not up to the standards of my brain. Once I've spoken to you I couldn't care less, but it's the initial confrontation that would put me off.

I can't really say I have many people on here that I can call a friend, but Tuna is certainly the man that comes to mind when I think of friends on DD. I don't really talk to many people that are a member here too often, apart from TheRavenHouse, Psyclon and sometimes Krust and Strider.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby MCToast » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Joji has shared plenty about his life, I wish we could talk more often than once a year.

Mat's a cunt.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Mat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:40 pm

MCToast wrote:Joji has shared plenty about his life, I wish we could talk more often than once a year.

Mat's a cunt.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Lord » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Okay, maybe I stretched it too far about Mat and Joji, but I think you all know what I'm trying to say.
Ma' thread
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Gary » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:25 pm

I consider people that I talk to on here friends. I could trust all of them, for the most part as well.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Daniël » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Gary wrote:I consider people that I talk to on here friends. I could trust all of them, for the most part as well.

Just don't let Josh hold your wallet.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Making friends online has it's ups and downs. On a positive note, I've met some people on here that I can definitely call a friend. People I trust quite a bit. However it can also work against you, because just as fast as you can make friends online, you can lose them. Like 6 years ago when I first joined DarkDemon, I met some friends and got close with a few members, but fast forward to today, I've lost touch with a lot of them because they either stopped posting here, forgot about the place, or weren't around when we migrated servers and may not even know about this place. So in that sense it sucks, because you can lose some pretty good friends unless you have other ways of contacting each other like Skype. One good example of this is Oliver. A lot of you probably remember him, he was a cool, level headed, active member on the forums, but then just vanished. A lot of people would ask where he went from time to time, but I have no clue and I do miss the guy. :(

This thread makes me think back to the time when I lied about rotoscoping. I remember the day Pyro Mecha found out I was lieing and I thought everyone was going to hate me from there on out. Some of you did, but a lot of you were understanding and forgave me for it. I held up my end of the deal and never lied about it again, but the fact that random people I met online could be so understanding and sympathetic made me feel pretty good. As time went by I met more friends and now I can name off most of you in my head and remember who you are.

It's funny because if I don't know what you look like I will correlate your name with either your avatar or the animations you make and that's usually how I remember you guys. But I've been on here so long now, I've even picked up on some of your personalities.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby socks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Raymond wrote:-snips-

Damn Ray, I thought we were internet friendo's. :(
But yeah, i can say that a couple of you are "friends" on here.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm

i've been good friends with some people on this website for awhile now. i would be down to see them in real life and i've strongly considered it honestly
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 pm

socks wrote:
Raymond wrote:-snips-

Damn Ray, I thought we were internet friendo's. :(

I think were more than just internet friends yo. :)
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Next

Return to Spam Pit Everything & Anything