What books are you reading?

Imaginative / creative writing goes here.

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby Lord » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Just finished The Subtle Knife in His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I was also wondering what the series might be like after my English teacher suggested it to me, and then I remember seeing bits of the movie and remembering that there was controversy of the series being 'anti-christian' or something like that.
Spoiler:
Which is now apparent to me, as (I won't give anything too much away) but killing God is a theme that's been coming up a bit

So now I move on to the last in the trilogy, the Amber Spyglass. Should be good. XD
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Grams » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:22 am

finally got a replacement copy of Catch-22

It's been a couple years since I've read it, so catching the little nuances and slips of wit that I missed before makes me appreciate it all the more.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Lord » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 am

I'm about to start reading the Amber Spyglass of His Dark Materials. Really looking forward to it. :D
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby lordkazari » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I still only read joyce
lordkazariOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:14 am

Reading Lord of the Flies.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Grams » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Just finished Soldier Boys.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby lordkazari » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:43 pm

I'm mostly reading Joyce these days
lordkazariOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Grams » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Almost done with The Red Badge of Courage.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Winnythepoof » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 am

Currently reading Metro 2033. After that I'm continuing on with The Wheel of Time, more specifically The Dragon Reborn.
WinnythepoofOffline

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:15 pm

H2O is pretty good. Lots of gruesome deaths.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Grams » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:23 am

I have Slaughter House-Five sitting next to me, should probably get on that
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:00 am

The Satanic Verse by Salman Rushdie. Interesting so far.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Alca » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Been reading a lot of Haruki Murakami, almost finished the short story collection Blind Willow. Sleeping Woman. Incredibly thought provoking. Man-Eating Cats and Airplane are probably my favourite pieces from the book. I need to get around to reading Kafka on the Shore sometime too.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Daniël » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Alca wrote:Been reading a lot of Haruki Murakami, almost finished the short story collection Blind Willow. Sleeping Woman. Incredibly thought provoking. Man-Eating Cats and Airplane are probably my favourite pieces from the book. I need to get around to reading Kafka on the Shore sometime too.

I'm reading 'Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World' from him right now and it's an excellent read so far. It reads away very easily and has a most original story so far.

Before this I finished 'The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman', which is definitely one of my favorite books I've ever read. Clean writing style with a bit of humor and a great ending. Would highly recommend it.

Before that I read 'Naamloos' by Pijn Lanen or Faberyayo, which was pretty alright. Dutch book though.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Alca » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Daniël wrote:
Alca wrote:Been reading a lot of Haruki Murakami, almost finished the short story collection Blind Willow. Sleeping Woman. Incredibly thought provoking. Man-Eating Cats and Airplane are probably my favourite pieces from the book. I need to get around to reading Kafka on the Shore sometime too.

I'm reading 'Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World' from him right now and it's an excellent read so far. It reads away very easily and has a most original story so far.

Before this I finished 'The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman', which is definitely one of my favorite books I've ever read. Clean writing style with a bit of humor and a great ending. Would highly recommend it.

Before that I read 'Naamloos' by Pijn Lanen or Faberyayo, which was pretty alright. Dutch book though.

Nice to see someone else reading Haruki Murakami. I haven't read Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World yet but I should get around to it. Murakami writes quite smooth prose and it doesn't take me long to read through his books. I recently read 'Sleep' from The Elephant Vanishes and it was quite interesting. Quite a surreal ending though, which seems to be a habit with most of his short stories.

Other than that I'm reading The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemmingway for one of my University classes. Unlike a lot of the authors we study his writing style is really easy to read which is a plus. So far I'm quite enjoying it.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Literature Section