Amidst the Clouds

Imaginative / creative writing goes here.

Amidst the Clouds

Postby Alca » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Wrote this a while ago. Might post some more stuff soon.

Amidst the Clouds

Through the vast expanse, Elrich could make out several opaque shapes in the distance. As he increased the throttle, they began to focus into view. Amidst the rolling green hills, there stood a town of moderate size, and beneath the rippling clouds, he noticed a tall spire that protruded into the sky.

Elrich banked the plane to the left, aiming for a wide field less than a mile away from the town. He couldn't see any kind of landing strip, but planes were a rarity, after all. Releasing the throttle, he carefully glided the aircraft towards the field, making a perfect landing. Stepping outside, he tapped the side of the plane, and took off his goggles, as if to congratulate the vehicle on another flight well done. The aircraft itself was a two-seat biplane, with a machine gun attached to the rear, though he had little use for it.

He hadn't landed too far from the town, it was at least within walking distance. Elrich slung his flight jacket off and threw it onto the seat of the plane. Up among the clouds, the wind had freshened him up. But now, his cheeks turned a fierce read as the sun beat down upon his back. He brushed his scruffy black hair back, and began his journey.

The walk took no less than half an hour, and he soon came to the gates of the town, where he was greeted by two guards.

'Who might you be?' said one guard, who cautiously approached Elrich.

'My name is Elrich. I'm a traveller, and I'd like permission to enter.'

'Traveller? How did you reach this place? You've come quite a long way just to visit.'

'I arrived by air.'

Elrich pointed to the plane out in the distance, which was just about visible to the human eye.

'That's the first time I've seen one of those. I've heard of them, but weren't only a few ever built? You must have come from a pretty advanced country to be travelling around in that.'

'So, may I enter?'

The guard nodded, and signaled a man standing in a nearby guard tower, who raised the gate.

Elrich thanked the men, then entered. The town was fairly quiet, several traders roamed the streets and Elrich could make out several stalls. By now, the sun had begun to set, and he decided to find a nearby hotel for the night.

The next two days passed swiftly. It was a quaint town, but offered a nice distraction for Elrich, who certainly didn't mind the peace and quiet. On the third day, as he was eating outside at a nearby bench, a middle aged man approached him.

'Would you be that traveller by any chance? You don't look like you're from here.'

'That's right. My name is Elrich.'

'Elrich, eh? Well how long are you planning on keeping this up?'

'Huh?'

'Half a mile east, the plane in that field is yours, right?'

'Yes, that's right.'

'Riding in one of those planes, you seem very young. You might think that you're an adult, but you know nothing at all about responsibility. Why don't you go to a university? Or get a job?'

'It's a long story...'

The man sat down next to Elrich, and sighed.

'Is travelling fun?'

'Yes. I enjoy it very much.'

'Did you ever consider that you've been wasting your life?'

Elrich shrugged, as though he were a school boy being scolded.

'What you're doing now may seem fun and exciting, but you're just dodging responsibility. Human beings have duties. We have to work and get a job to contribute to society. You have to start thinking about raising a family. You might think that you're free to do as you please, but where will it take you? You're just a rootless wanderer.'

'...'

Elrich remained silent as he brought a chunk of bread to his lips.

'Look at me. I have qualifications, a good job, and a wonderful family. That's why I wanted to talk to you. I don't want to see you waste your life away.'

'That's very considerate of you.'

'And another thing... that contraption you fly, it's a death trap! You should stop flying it. It's dangerous. Some people might be amazed by the idea of flying. But it's primitive. You can only fit two people on that plane of yours, how could you ever take your family with you? Now trains, that's a reliable method of transportation.'

Elrich finished his meal, then stood up while stretching.

'Thank you very much for your concern, but I'll continue what I'm doing.'

The man stood up angrily, turning to Elrich.

'You haven't listened to a word I've said! You should—'

Checking his watch, the man looked in shock, then spun around in a hurry.

'J-Just remember what I said! Don't waste your life!'

The man dashed off into the distance, leaving Elrich on his own again.

After wandering the town for a short while, Elrich decided that it was time to leave. He nodded to the guards on the way out, then returned to his plane.

From the top of his balcony, the man looked out to the vast expanse wistfully, watching as Elrich entered the plane, and raced off into the distance.

'What are you doing?! I told you to wait here didn't I, What are you looking at over there? It better not be that traveller!'

The voice came from a woman of a similar age, who shouted from below.

'B-But...'

'Don't tell me you still have that stupid dream of travelling by yourself? You told me you gave that up! You have a family now. Don't be so irresponsible!'

'It's not like that! It's my duty to look after you. There's no way I'd want to go on a journey.'

'You always loved planes, didn't you? You know, if I ever see you in one of those things, I'll divorce you on the spot!'

'I-I'd never! They're dangerous! My job is to look after my family... Why would I want to fly around in one of those silly contraptions?'

'Hmph. Get down here. You've got to take the kids shopping! It wouldn't kill you to work a little harder either. That way you could buy them nicer clothes. You promised to look after us, didn't you?!'

'But I'm tired...'

'Oh? Did you say something?'

The man looked at the back of the plane, which gradually faded from sight, then chased after his wife in a flurry.

'Nothing...'

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Return to Literature Section