Abortion

Want a headache? Come here!

Abortion

Postby Grams » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:23 am

Decided this would be Debate Area worthy.

I've pretty much always been pro-choice. Too many people conclude that pro-choice = enjoyment of dead fetuses, which obviously is not the case. It's just I don't think it's my business to dictate what someone else should do with their unborn child. I don't understand their circumstances, so I shouldn't make that choice for them. Hence, pro-choice.

However, as of recently, I've come to realize there seems to be a decadence of young teenage girls becoming pregnant. 15, 16, 17. Now, although I believe personal ordeals to a degree such as this should not be decided by me, most individuals this young are not mature enough to make a rational decision. It would be apparent that their intention was not to get preggers, which they failed to do by some means. Accidents happen, condoms break, they were the 1%, whatever. I get that. I just feel that too many of them get frightened and overwhelmed by the position they're in and get an abortion. I do my best to stay objective, but this is a potential life being discussed. Put simply, it seems wrong to have a future human being not get a say in whether they have the ability to live or not because some adolescents were horny and didn't think something through. Again, shit happens. Still.

There are other factors in my thought process, but that's the main point.
Still on the fence about this. What do you guys think?
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Re: Abortion

Postby Stickid » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:36 am

i'm against abortion, purely because of the potential a human life holds
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Lord » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:29 am

Same as pretty much everyone else, abortion shouldn't be allowed.
Unless, the mother won't survive child birth, then exceptions can be made.

(Here in Ireland there was actually a big referendum about this, abortion is still illegal unless if the mother is in danger)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby tuna » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 am

abortion is fine within a certain age (eg: when the unborn child has nothing that could call it life like consciousness and brain activity ect)
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Daniël » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:05 am

Stickid wrote:i'm against abortion, purely because of the potential a human life holds

With that logic you should just go around impregnating everyone you can.

I'm against abortion, because, even though I think it's a sad thing, one shouldn't have to have a child if they deem themselves unfit to raise one.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby tuna » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:19 am

Daniël wrote:
Stickid wrote:i'm against abortion, purely because of the potential a human life holds

[b]With that logic you should just go around impregnating everyone you can.

Condoms and contraceptives should be banned because they're preventing life from happening :'(

but seriously, if you accidently get someone pregnant/get yourself pregnant, yes that really sucks and you're probably an idiot, but it's not worth having to raise a child when they can't afford it/are in the middle of their education/don't have the skills. by terminating something that doesn't have any properties of something we'd call living to avoid it growing into a family/environment where it would suffer and make the family suffer too, I think it's worth it.
ideally, don't get pregnant in the first place, but accidents happen y'all.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:13 am

I'm not against abortion. I'd rather be aborted than grow up in a family that I was just an accident that can't be cared for properly. I do think adoption is a better option though. Worked pretty well for me.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Stickid » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:09 am

Daniël wrote:

come on
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Daniël » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 am

Stickid wrote:
Daniël wrote:

come on

No, I'm actually serious. What increases the value of the potential of human life after the child is conceived as opposed to before?
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Josh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Mat wrote:I'm not against abortion. I'd rather be aborted than grow up in a family that I was just an accident that can't be cared for properly.

This is pretty much my stance. I'd rather a kid be aborted than live a shitty life.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Alca » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 pm

Minifrij wrote:
Mat wrote:I'm not against abortion. I'd rather be aborted than grow up in a family that I was just an accident that can't be cared for properly.

This is pretty much my stance. I'd rather a kid be aborted than live a shitty life.

I agree to some extent. But as Mat said, Adoption is an option. I'm sure that there's many families out there who aren't able to have children and would be delighted to raise a kid. Adoption doesn't really effect the quality of a child's life. Adoptive parents can be even more loving than their original parents, so there's that to think about.

I think life is pretty important, so it annoys me when people sleep around then get an abortion like it's nothing. Fair enough if the mother is ill or was a victim of rape, that's completely understandable. But when you have such flimsy reasons such as not being bothered to raise a child, it'd be better to allow the child to be adopted by someone who genuinely wants to take care of them.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby MCToast » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:33 pm

If your against abortion, you should be against masturbation and condoms. It doesn't matter if there's brain activity yet, there would be if it didn't end up in a tissue.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Tosh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:00 pm

MCToast wrote:If your against abortion, you should be against masturbation and condoms. It doesn't matter if there's brain activity yet, there would be if it didn't end up in a tissue.

MCToast actually has a point. What qualifies as a potential human life?

As someone mentioned, I believe abortion should be an option if the child shows signs that it has problems or if the mother is in risk of not surviving the birth.
ToshOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Alca » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Mr Tosh wrote:
MCToast wrote:If your against abortion, you should be against masturbation and condoms. It doesn't matter if there's brain activity yet, there would be if it didn't end up in a tissue.

MCToast actually has a point. What qualifies as a potential human life?

As someone mentioned, I believe abortion should be an option if the child shows signs that it has problems or if the mother is in risk of not surviving the birth.

This is probably the most predictable argument from the 'pro-abortion' side. There's a difference between sperm and a developing fetus. Making the leap to from a living organism to sperm is ridiculous.

Human sperm is not alive. And I think many who are pro-abortion confuse "life" with "a functioning cell". A sperm is a functioning cell; a viable, fertilized egg performs life functions.

Motion doesn't constitute life. A sperm doesn't whip it's tail consciously, it does it reflexively. A sperm cell doesn't eat, grow, or self/replicate. Viruses are not considered to be alive but they exhibit more properties of a living organism than sperm cells.

Sperm cells are created, manufactured, by a living organism; they're only a method of DNA transfer and a means to a reproductive end of a living organism. Sperm are not, and never were, "themselves", examples of "life." When you abort a fetus you're terminating a living organism. It's ridiculous to conflate that with masturbating or wearing a condom.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Sperms are living organisms though.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Next

Return to Debate Area