Abortion

Want a headache? Come here!

Re: Abortion

Postby Alca » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Mat wrote:Sperms are living organisms though.

Yes, but they're not alive in the sense that a developing fetus is. They might be living organisms, but to what extent could we consider them alive? As I already said, we wouldn't consider viruses to be alive, but they show more properties of a living organism than sperm cells do. Comparing sperm cells to a fertilized egg is still ridiculous. Sperm cells only carry the potential for a human life. It's merely a functioning cell which acts on reflex. A developing fetus actually has the ability to grow; it's still a leap to compare it to sperm cells.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Grams » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Mr Tosh wrote:
MCToast wrote:If your against abortion, you should be against masturbation and condoms. It doesn't matter if there's brain activity yet, there would be if it didn't end up in a tissue.

MCToast actually has a point. What qualifies as a potential human life?

As someone mentioned, I believe abortion should be an option if the child shows signs that it has problems or if the mother is in risk of not surviving the birth.

I'm going to use a rough analogy here, but that's kind of like saying if you're against killing someone's dog/cat, then you should be against killing spiders or flies. I know this comparison isn't exactly on the same playing field, and that bugs don't form into household pets like sperm forms into a fetus. But, you get my point. As much as I don't like "rating" stages of life, sperm doesn't have the significance that a partially formed fetus has.

Although, I do agree with having certain criteria to be met. Mother could die in conception, child is immensely deformed, rape, etc. This seems to make the most sense to me so far. This isn't really a black and white subject.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Alca wrote:but to what extent could we consider them alive?

Probably to the extent that they are in fact alive. Without sperm there would be no fetus for you to defend. I don't think it's too farfetched to make that comparison.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Tosh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Alca wrote:
Mat wrote:Sperms are living organisms though.

Comparing sperm cells to a fertilized egg is still ridiculous.

No. Comparing sperm cells to a well formed baby is ridiculous. This might sound a bit heartless but here's my take on abortion: in my opinion what makes us who we are is what's in our brain, that's what makes us a "person", I don't believe in souls or any of that so to me, I only see it as a human life when it shows some semblance to a brain. Which is why I think having an abortion should be legal in some cases, up to a certain number of weeks which is how it's being done in the places where abortion is legal.
ToshOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Gage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:32 pm

If people say abortions are wrong then you must think that masturbation is wrong, if you don't then you're just fucking stupid

Yes, this is a reply
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Alca » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 pm

DragonCheesecake wrote:If people say abortions are wrong then you must think that masturbation is wrong, if you don't then you're just fucking stupid

Yes, this is a reply

A sperm or egg on their own do not contain the necessary code for life. Failure to fertilize is not ending a life. But a fertilized egg has something extremely rare in it across the entire physical universe: the functioning code for a specific, unique person. The topic of abortion isn't straight forward at all and that's my opinion. People are constantly debating about when life really begins, but I don't think anyone's going to be able to prove it either way because it's largely subjective.
Last edited by Alca on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Alca wrote:
DragonCheesecake wrote:If people say abortions are wrong then you must think that masturbation is wrong, if you don't then you're just fucking stupid

Yes, this is a reply

Is it? I thought it was just the nonsensical babblings of a moron. That has to be the most generalized statement I've ever read. Holy fuck.

The argument about abortion doesn't even matter at this point. To claim that "If you think X is wrong, you must think that Y is wrong" is stupid beyond words. How did you manage to pull that out of your ass? It doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong. Learn to fucking form your arguments instead of saying something so generalized without anything to back it up.

A sperm or egg on their own do not contain the necessary code for life. Failure to fertilize is not ending a life. But a fertilized egg has something extremely rare in it across the entire physical universe: the functioning code for a specific, unique person. The topic of abortion isn't straight forward at all and that's my opinion. People are constantly debating about when life really begins, but I don't think anyone's going to be able to prove it either way because it's largely subjective.

Simply because you don't consider a sperm or egg to be alive does not change the scientific fact that they are just as alive as anything else.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Alca » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Mat wrote:
Alca wrote:

Yes, this is a reply

Is it? I thought it was just the nonsensical babblings of a moron. That has to be the most generalized statement I've ever read. Holy fuck.

The argument about abortion doesn't even matter at this point. To claim that "If you think X is wrong, you must think that Y is wrong" is stupid beyond words. How did you manage to pull that out of your ass? It doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong. Learn to fucking form your arguments instead of saying something so generalized without anything to back it up.

Simply because you don't consider a sperm or egg to be alive does not change the scientific fact that they are just as alive as anything else.

Of course sperm is alive, but why would you care if it got flushed away? It's simply a collection of cells which acts on reflex. Sperm on its own does not have the potential to develop into a human being, nor does an egg. Both are indeed irrefutably alive. That's not really the point. I was actually talking more about social perception of what counts for life.

What Dragon just said was 'If people say abortions are wrong then you must think that masturbation is wrong.' Why is that? The difference between sperm and a fertilized egg is that the egg contains all the necessary DNA to make up a human being, which must give it more value than a collection of sperm cells. Can you tell me why in order to be against abortion, you also have to be against masturbation?

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby MatureZoom Zoom » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:56 pm

As far as abortion is concerned, I am pro-choice as well, but I suppose it's limited? I think that if you get an abortion in the early stages, you should be able to, but if you wait, then you need to take responsibility for the life you made. In the end, it just comes down to responsibility in my eyes.

Though even through my beliefs, it isn't my life, so it doesn't have too much of an effect on me.
MatureZoom ZoomOffline
Active
Active

Postby Skype » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 am

Women should be allowed to have abortions. Anyone thinking otherwise is a moron. A foetus is not a human being, and it is not always as black and white as "she shouldn't have gotten pregnant then."

I also hate children, so hell yeah abort the shit out of everything.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby tuna » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:32 am

Skype wrote:Women should be allowed to have abortions. Anyone thinking otherwise is a moron. A foetus is not a human being, and it is not always as black and white as "she shouldn't have gotten pregnant then."

pretty much this unless it's a late abortion, i'd say within the first 8 weeks is okay but from then on it gets a bit uncomfortable.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Will » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:40 am

A lot of people seem to forget that, although the foetus may be considered living, it knows nothing and therefore doesn't give the slightest flying fuck about whether it lives or dies because it has no grasp of such concepts.

The foetus feels warm and then it feels nothing. Abortion isn't inhumane and it isn't ethically ambiguous, it is fine. The only people upset or emotionally affected in any way are the parents.
WillOffline
Professional

Postby Skype » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:41 am

Tuna wrote:
Skype wrote:Women should be allowed to have abortions. Anyone thinking otherwise is a moron. A foetus is not a human being, and it is not always as black and white as "she shouldn't have gotten pregnant then."

pretty much this unless it's a late abortion, i'd say within the first 8 weeks is okay but from then on it gets a bit uncomfortable.

It's still a glorified clump of cells at 8 weeks. Pull it out with a coat hanger.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby tuna » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 am

Skype wrote:
Tuna wrote:

It's still a glorified clump of cells at 8 weeks. Pull it out with a coat hanger.

i'm revising my statement to anything under 16 weeks actually.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Alca » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Skype wrote:
Tuna wrote:

So edgy.

I'm actually for abortion as long as it's done early. If you wait several months until it's actually started growing into what you'd consider a child, it's inexcusable. The legal limit is 24 weeks which is absolutely sickening.

I just think it's still a sad thing to abort your child though

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Area