what happens after death

Want a headache? Come here!

Re: what happens after death

Postby Skype » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:39 am

Alca wrote:Remember what it was like before you were born? No? That's pretty much how I see death. Just a state of non-existence. You don't feel anything. You just cease to be.

Remember when you were just a little baby? Like literally just after you were ejected from the womb? Of course you don't. Not remembering is not the same as not being.

The best thing about this topic is that no one knows. Near death experiences aren't the same. Neither is being "technically dead". The thing is, death is literally nothing. But it's not even nothing, because nothing is something. The concept of death is completely incomprehensible to a living being, which is why it's so interesting.

You can speculate on what happens to make yourself feel better about death but I think the excitement is in the absolute uncertainty.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Caleb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:11 am

Skype basically wrapped it up. Adding to it I think all those theories about the afterlife are simply people trying to feel better about the dead people that they were once close to, or the fact that they themselves will at some point die. We don't have a soul, personalities and emotions are merely fragments of the mind to help us identify and order situations around us.

Honestly if you just take enough time to think about it rationally, you will inevitably end up realising that after death, you're merely a rotting body, an object.

PS: Anyone that thinks otherwise is free to debate it with me, but you won't change my mind unless you can throw in some really good points. If you feel better thinking there's something after death then go ahead and believe it, I don't mean to make anyone feel bad.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Jojishi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:31 am

I wish there was more out there. Mostly because existence in general is incomprehensibly complex. Just think about all of the laws of physics that have to work out so anything can exist at all, then all the galaxies, solar systems and planets. Then out of the billions of planets out there, we are on the only one we know of which supports a delicate ecosystem and our own lives. Then the fact that we've evolved enough so that we can contemplate these questions.

I don't know. It's just so crazy that a nihilistic view towards reality can seem as unfounded as one which places meaning in everything. I'm going a little off topic here though. My point is that everything is so complex and that we try to act like we know everything, that we can't exactly say for certain what happens after death although we do have a good understanding. We've barely scratched the surface of knowledge in this universe or of our own planet, yet we're still trying to crack the mystery of death or even the conscious mind itself.

If we want there to be anything after death, we'd have to bend the laws of physics and in a way become our own gods. The type v civilisation that would be capable of such things would think nothing of the petty squabbles going on in the world or the fact that people worry over relationships, money or other things of that nature. They would face problems much scarier than our own, such as dealing with the ultimate nature of the universe and having to create simulated realities or other universes to keep thriving.

But, being a human at this point in time is sweet in a way. Some times, thinking about those things gives me a headache and it scares me knowing that a future civilisation which has evolved to that point may have to deal with such problems. I like getting frustrated over the latest game delay or anything like that. I'm an animal and at the end of the day I just want to live a comfortable life.

So I've probably rambled slightly, but I hope that has at least sparked some ideas of just how complex the very nature of everything can be. If the brain is one of the most complex objects we know of, then we can't figure out the nature of consciousness itself until we build up from things such as worms or ants. If we learn the patterns of those neurons firing off in much simpler brains, then we can move onto learning more about the human brain. When we've figured out consciousness we'll have a much greater understanding of life and death in general (but we already have a strong idea at the moment anyway).

I wish there was something more. Mostly because I find it hard to accept that everything we've worked for as a species serves no purpose to the dead. Just thousands of years of blood, sweat and tears. All the things I've learned in my own life. It feels like a story that has no climax and stories without any climatic conclusion suck. At least that's how I feel. I've come to accept death but I'm not going to act like it's no big deal or like just before I was born. I'm alive now and have the perspective to know that existing is preferable to not existing. I like being able to think, feel and experience. The only solace I find is that when it happens I won't know it's happened.

Still, I'm 50/50 on the subject (or more accurately, 70/30 with leaning more towards there being nothing) so I don't know at the end of the day. All I can hope for is that I get to live a full life and I don't die a horrible death.

So to truthfully answer your question (again, my apologies for rambling) I honestly don't know. Whatever you think about it is up to you. Do some searching, read up on philosophy and spirituality, experiment with your consciousness (through meditation or other means) and just do whatever works for you. I guess that's the beauty of it all. You come up with your own answer.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Grams » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Skype wrote:
Alca wrote:Remember what it was like before you were born? No? That's pretty much how I see death. Just a state of non-existence. You don't feel anything. You just cease to be.

Remember when you were just a little baby? Like literally just after you were ejected from the womb? Of course you don't. Not remembering is not the same as not being.

I believe the feeling would be the same. Or at least that's the best example he can give to what his version of "afterlife" would be. But, I see what you mean.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Lord » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Well, I'm a Christian, and I should believe that there is a life after death.

But I'm doubtful,

Some days I'm almost certain there is, whilst others I'm on the edge of just giving up on that idea. Some days it makes so much sense and then other days I feel like it's just a lie.

Like you, Jojishi, I'm happy to be alive here in this time, I'm happy to be living in the Digital Age unfolding itself and to see what will happen in the world in years to come.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby FLIPit949 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Honestly, I dont think there is anything after a person dies. Sometimes i like to think about stupid mumbo-jumbo but its really just for fun, not really what I believe in. I also agree with a lot that Jojishi said, life is for living and people need to enjoy life in its fullest, because when we're 80 years old and have back, eye, ears, leg, whatever, problems, we can't really enoy life anymore. So just live life to the fullest while you can, no regrets, just be happy and don't wake up the next day wondering "oh what if I had done that...?". This is what I really believe in, just living life to the fullest and enjoy while you can
Check out my animation thread over here!
http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2445

BBoDDV - 34/250+ frames (cheesygrin
FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby Alca » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Grams wrote:
Skype wrote:

I believe the feeling would be the same. Or at least that's the best example he can give to what his version of "afterlife" would be. But, I see what you mean.

This is pretty much what I meant. I didn't mean to suggest that not remembering is the same as not being. But the general concept of having absolutely no awareness before you were born would be similar. I think it's the most accurate comparison to make.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Jojishi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Anyone else prefer their life when they believed in something more? I used to be Christian when I was a kid but that stopped when I was about 14. It just made everything simpler and like I didn't have to worry about anything. Knowing what I know adds an extra layer of complexity to my life and as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't go back to that but I do miss it in a certain way. That said, I miss a lot of things about my past.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Alca » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Jojishi wrote:Anyone else prefer their life when they believed in something more? I used to be Christian when I was a kid but that stopped when I was about 14. It just made everything simpler and like I didn't have to worry about anything. Knowing what I know adds an extra layer of complexity to my life and as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't go back to that but I do miss it in a certain way. That said, I miss a lot of things about my past.

Despite the fact that I used to go to a Christian school as a kid and went to church every Sunday, there wasn't a single moment that I actually believed in God, or the concept of an afterlife. I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't process the idea of life after death, so I've pretty much had this viewpoint my entire life. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I can definitely see how it might be comforting for some people. But then again, believing that there's nothing waiting afterwards does give you all the more reason to make the most out of life, rather than being complacent because of the promise of some reward at the end. I think I'd still choose this over ignorance.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Caleb » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Jojishi wrote:Anyone else prefer their life when they believed in something more? I used to be Christian when I was a kid but that stopped when I was about 14. It just made everything simpler and like I didn't have to worry about anything. Knowing what I know adds an extra layer of complexity to my life and as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't go back to that but I do miss it in a certain way. That said, I miss a lot of things about my past.

It's not being dumb/ignorant that makes your life more positive, it's positivity. No matter how smart or dumb anyone is, it's equally frustrating if you're only thinking others are happier. The grass always seems greener on the other side, just use it as inspiration instead of letting it get you down. This is the real world, everyone has stress and problems they're struggling with and true happiness is extremely rare. Of course, some have it worse than others, but in Africa there's people that have to walk a mile barefoot to get their hands on clean water and they're most likely happier than you.

Also, I know you're a nihilist. You know there's no point in griefing regardless of how bad shit gets, yet you acknowledge it so much. You only have a short time on the planet, might as well enjoy it while you're here.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Demise » Tue May 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Has anyone ever slept and seemingly didn't have a dream? Like you just wake up as if the time you were asleep was skipped over?

That's basically how being dead is, except you don't wake up. At least, that's the closest parallel I can make. One's brain controls one's emotions, thoughts, and literally everything. Therefore, once the brain dies, the person can be considered completely dead. It doesn't make sense for a soul to rise or something -- the brain is what controls thoughts, so how could a soul think without a brain?

Also, near death experiences have been "cracked" in a way. You know, with people saying they saw a white light when they "died," and then survived to tell the tale? It's actual a chemical that is released in the brain at times where one is almost dead. The chemical causes hallucinations which explain the "white lights" or "heaven" people witness. Source: http://wondergressive.com/death-solved- ... ial-gland/

I wish there was more too, or really, I wish I was capable of believing in more. But the facts are too loud.
DemiseOffline

Postby Gage » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I hope when I die I can do what ever I want. Then I can sleep for as long as I want, also pizza parties every day
GageOffline
VIP

Previous

Return to Debate Area