Gay Rights

Want a headache? Come here!

Gay Rights

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:05 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 32599.html

I thought this video was pretty interesting. I'm someone who believes in justified equality. I hate any sort of PDA's (public displays of affection) that are overtly over the top, whether they're straight, gay, bi or whatever, particularly in a restaurant.
I'm not pro-gay rights, I'm not anti-gay rights, I'm neither. It doesn't affect me if they can get married or if they can't, in my eyes, it's their choice, and has nothing to do with me.

But what I do dislike, is these overly "gay" people, those who throw it in your face. I found this really good picture / description in "Humans of New York", a facebook page.

"I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm gay, and I don't think there's nearly as much discrimination as people claim. Don't get me wrong, I've experienced discrimination. But it hasn't been a huge factor in my life. I feel like a lot of people bring discrimination on themselves by getting in people's faces too much. They like to say: 'Accept me or else!' They go around demanding respect as a member of a group, instead of earning respect as an individual. And that sort of behavior invites discrimination. I've never demanded respect because I was gay, and I haven't experienced much discrimination when people find out that I am."

This is one of the best things I have seen. It really highlighted my opinion to it. I have nothing against gay people, nor against them wanting rights like everyone else, but those who demand acceptance JUST because they're gay, don't sit well with me.

Anyway, rant over. Would love to get some opinions on this.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Re: Gay Rights

Postby Behemoth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Jon wrote:I thought this video was pretty interesting. I'm someone who believes in justified equality. I hate any sort of PDA's (public displays of affection) that are overtly over the top, whether they're straight, gay, bi or whatever, particularly in a restaurant.

Just wondering, why? What makes you hate it?

As for me, I'm an egalitarian, people should deserve the same rights as everyone else does. I've had one or two friends who are homosexual that have been bullied by a couple teens before which is pretty fucking annoying to see. I just don't understand what makes people angered or annoyed by their existence, mainly strict theists who believe they have to change the person's lifestyle just to satisfy their own belief system even though its not hurting anyone. Its fucking obnoxious. Although I support homosexual rights, I really don't like people who show their support for homosexuals by mocking heterosexuals, saying how they can't help in the cause because "they would never understand the pain cause their not homosexual" or say "all heterosexual are scum." It seems hypocritical since their acting in the same dumb emotional spite as homophobes do, the only difference being their view points. It's not that I'm "offended" by those types of comments cause really, I don't care, but to stoop down to the same idiocy of a person that uses ad hominems to try to get their point across is just pathetic, whether you believe in the "right" thing or not.
BehemothOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby MCToast » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 pm

People have the rights to hate gays as much as they have the rights to be gay.

Nice posting this in 2 separate forums.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21 pm

SHUT UP MCTOAST!
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 pm

MCToast wrote:People have the rights to hate gays as much as they have the rights to be gay.

I posted this in two separate forums to get a wider perspective and a multitude of opinions. I thought that would be pretty obvious.

As for my dislike of PDA's, I just don't think it is necessary to be all over each other in public. Sure putting your arm around someones shoulder and such is fine, but full on hooking up in public is just weird to me.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby MCToast » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:29 am

It was obvious and I complimented you for this, learn to take a compliment...

If there's a special moment going on in their relationship, it's more than ok to kiss.
What I understood, you believe people are groping and kissing loudly every time they're doing it, and that some of them do it just for attention? You're a horrible human being, nothing wrong in public love.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Lord » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 pm

MCToast wrote:You're a horrible human being

...um... anyone want waffles?
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Peebles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:17 pm

MCToast wrote:It was obvious and I complimented you for this, learn to take a compliment...

If there's a special moment going on in their relationship, it's more than ok to kiss.
What I understood, you believe people are groping and kissing loudly every time they're doing it, and that some of them do it just for attention? You're a horrible human being, nothing wrong in public love.

thank you based Toast. im all about that.

anyway, just felt like dropping in to say that. im all for gay rights, let them wed, lettem' do whatever the fuck they want. i think it's absolutely absurd at this point that more states/countries still don't allow it.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Gage » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:59 pm

People seem to think that gay rights only involves male on male type of stuff
Most lesbians I have met are pretty awesome people although a lot of them do, do a whole bunch of nasty stuff just for attention and yell in public about how horny they are and how much they want to do it with their GF, gotta hate those types of people. Although I will say it's also the same as if some straight girl and guy started yelling in public about that stuff.

From what I have already typed out, it seems as though I don't like homosexuals, but I am neutral when it comes to that sort of thing and I believe that Gay Rights shouldn't even be a thing to be honest, everyone is equal and should have the same rights as everyone else, you don't see an act upon what you are allowed to believe in, so why should we have some act on gay rights? I also do very much agree with the quote that Jon has laid out, it seems as though people do seem to over react when it comes to this kind of stuff
same goes with rape and how only men can do it but thats for another kind of thread
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Jon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:01 pm

MCToast wrote:It was obvious and I complimented you for this, learn to take a compliment...

I never said anything about attention. Kissing is fine, but when its overtly over done, then it's ridiculous. I don't want to see a girl getting finger bashed with a tongue down her throat whilst I'm out to dinner with my family or at lunch with my friends. It's happened, and it makes myself, and my family / friends uneasy.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Jojishi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:06 pm

I find the PDAs you're talking about to be quite disgusting as well. It just is not appropriate at all and I think the law is far too lax about that sort of thing. It should classify under the disturbance of peace law, much like if someone decides to run around nude, start yelling at an imaginary friend, or whatever else. Extreme PDAs disturb people and like any disturbance of the public, it should be dealt with. Unfortunately, the problem here is more of a societal one and I doubt the law will change regarding this. Everyone seems to avert their eyes and not think about it, but don't want to do anything because it's love.

The quote you found summed up my thoughts quite well. It's my major gripe with the whole gay rights movement. Just the other day, YouTube had put another one of their rainbow themes on the site when they'd just done that a few months ago. Okay Google, we get that you support gay people. There's no need to shove it in everyone's face repetitively. Doing that sort of thing annoys people and pushes them away. I've seen this happen for myself when people will state how annoyed they are with the gay rights movement and then they're only pushed away further by being called a homophobe or ignorant.

You also mentioned that certain gay people demand respect on the sole basis of their sexuality. I agree with you on this, since it's basically the same thing as demanding respect for having brown hair. These people are just the most vocal of the group and in no way represent the entire community. You will find that the most vocal of groups are always the most confronting (religion, race, etc.). You'll find these people everywhere and the best thing you can do is try to ignore them. I get extremely annoyed by these people too.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Gays are fine, but they shouldn't be public with it. It gives them sideways looks, watered down treatment, and makes even them uncomfortable sometimes. Especially gay men. Do you notice how they look around a lot in stores, and it is almost garunteed you will lock eye contact with them some time or another? Insecurity.
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby Gary » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:40 pm

My opinions on this really, if you're gay, cool. Go on and do whatever you feel like doing. I couldn't give less of a shit really. Your life is your life, and my life is my life, and I have no right to judge or impair what they want.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:43 pm

I agree with you Gary. Just don't let me know if you're gay, be gay and keep it out of my thoughts.
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby Stickid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:11 am

lezzies are kay, they can stay
gay guys are gay, go away
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Next