Pivot Tweening

Want a headache? Come here!

Re: Pivot Tweening

Postby tenks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 am

I think all the tween-hater depend purely on the "wow-how-did-he-do-that-in-pivot-omg-i-could-never-do-that"-effect in their animations, instead of having something of actual value to show.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby ipwnall » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 am

tenks wrote:I think all the tween-hater depend purely on the "wow-how-did-he-do-that-in-pivot-omg-i-could-never-do-that"-effect in their animations, instead of having something of actual value to show.
Yep, I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Perhaps this statement is going to seem outside of the realm of this discussion, but I think there's a certain point that pivot becomes more about doing a lot with few resources than it is about actually making a good animation by "regular" animation standards. I honestly think some of the people in the higher ranks are just shooting themselves in the foot by trying to do all of these drawing-based animations in a program clearly not designed for it.

Like, I was lurking around and I ended up watching the Run Tribute Joint that's in the stickies ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQNwzMgnFpY ). If you watch horsies part, it's SUPER cool! But if that fire effect was made with the .stk builder like we all did back in the old day, that's just insanity. Just think about how much quicker you could achieve this effect if you were to use a brush tool that is actually designed for this type of work, instead of working with a clunky stick builder that is clearly not designed for such a purpose. (I have not used the more recent versions of pivot, perhaps there is a brush tool now that allows this to be done more easily? If that is the case than disregard this paragraph).

At the end of the day, I guess there is just one question:

Is pivot meant to make great animations, or is it meant to prove that you can accomplish a lot with only a few tools?

I prefer the former. And adding tools like this contributes to the former. If you honestly believe pivot should stay simple just for the sake of keeping the program in the stone age, than I suppose you prefer the latter.
ipwnallOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Ashero wrote:I like it
now we can also add shapes
brush tool
lines
gradients
and more
then we can put a sign saying pivot and cross out the flash symbol next to it
not flash, just pivot

Nawh, pivot isn't about drawing stuff. lines would be ok, but the brush tool would be too much. If you are able to draw in pivot, we can say our goodbyes to the usage of nodes.

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Mitch » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 am

Ya the whole credit complex thing is dumb, using pivot just to say "I made this awesome animation with shit all tools at my disposal" is pretty fucking egotistical justification for using the program.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Coweetie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:42 am

ipwnall wrote:
Is pivot meant to make great animations, or is it meant to prove that you can accomplish a lot with only a few tools?

I prefer the former. And adding tools like this contributes to the former. If you honestly believe pivot should stay simple just for the sake of keeping the program in the stone age, than I suppose you prefer the latter.

totally agree. This is exactly what I think too.

On another side, i find it really funny how everyone complained about stykz being "too easy" (making the animations, not learning the program), while pivot is (now) getting nearly exact the same features, especially the already existing stretch tool, which most people complained to be being too easy. And that it can not be ranked like a pivot animation (still is not ranked just like a pivot animation, even though it has almost the same features now)
But at the same time, pivot 4 animations get ranked like alwaysw(maybe with other standards, but still), even though it hast stykz-like features now .
I guess it only was because it was not peter who made stykz. and it wasnt the name pivot on it. (:P
But, I find this phenomenon interesting.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain. no hate :)
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby Caleb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:36 am

Uh, I said it before, but I'll repeat it. Just because it's quicker now, doesn't mean 3d should be ranked differently. The thing that made Stykz too hard to rank was things like polyfill and general difference in appearance, making it really hard to see whether they just used something of the program right or is actually a skilled animator. There's a pretty big difference between that, and with the rank team not being familiar with Stykz, stuff like that would be too difficult to actually rank.

I think that should about clear that up.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Coweetie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 pm

sorry then that I didn't see your comment.
I understand that the rank team didn't know about this program. polyfill was basically the same timesparing feature as the stretching tool, you simply didn't have to fill up everything in the editmode, just like you don't have to edit the length of a segment in the editmode in pivot 4 now. I maybe should have been trying to explain that in the stykz times.

I get the point, thanks for writing it again (thumbsup
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby Царица Луна » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Option to tween? Fully support it. Can make animate easier or, more importantly, less tedious. Has potential for better animations to be made. Ultimately, I'll care more about final product than the process of creating said animation.
ImageImageImage
Царица ЛунаOffline
Луна
Луна

Previous

Return to Debate Area