Nothing.

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Nothing.

Postby Will » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:55 pm

I plan to build me a good gaming PC next year, and I've been doing me some research and planning and stuff and whatnot and everything. I have 4 builds planned here in some different price ranges and I'd like to know some opinions on them. Link.

Now I mostly want to save up for the biggest most expensive one (Link.. Am I wasting my money on this one? If so what are some better choices to make there?
Last edited by Will on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillOffline
Professional

Re: Help with planning a PC build.

Postby Yogurt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:06 pm

jesus christ nigger fuck why would you go so overkill on that, you dont need 2 980s first off, and that monitor is a huge waste.
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby Will » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:36 pm

MrWallace wrote:If so what are some better choices to make there?
WillOffline
Professional

Postby Grams » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:09 pm

32GB RAM also seems overkill. No idea how you could consume that much memory in one instance. 12GB is plenty. 8GB will suffice for almost any current game.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:22 am

Well first off, if you have 2 980s in SLI, you're doing it wrong unless you absolutely need it (and if you're not sure, you don't).

Why do you need:
32GB (if you're not sure, you don't)
Water Cooling (if you're not sure, you don't)
Razor Keyboard and Mouse (holy fuck what a mistake)
A 4790K Processor
A 3tb HDD when the Seagate barracuda and other similar 2tb drives are cheap as chips, just buy two of those
Why is your motherboard 300 fucking pounds what the fuck

Things I don't necessarily agree with Kody on (but I understand why he hates them):

I don't have a problem with windows 8, besides the ABSOLUTELY GOD AWFUL GUI it's actually better (and you can fix that, but you have to buy fucking programs)

I also don't have a problem with buying a disk drive because they're also cheap, or the liquid CPU cooler (but honestly, liquid cooling period is fucking ANNOYING to install and EASY TO FUCK UP), just get fucking noctua fans.

Think about THESE THINGS:
What GAMES/ACTIVITIES DO YOU PLAY/DO RELIABLY (DAILY EVERY DAY).
What resolution do you want to play things on (may require a better monitor)
what settings do you want (probably maxerino, but still)
DO YOU WANT TO OVERCLOCK/KNOW HOW TO OVERCLOCK (this is probably a no which makes life WAY EASIER)
WHAT IS YOUR REASONABLE BUDGET

There's probably a couple other things, but these are the most important.

And if you're talking about LATER next year (like spring/summer) then you might as well fucking wait because GPU and CPU architecture are on the horizon that will probably shit all over this current gen shit (Haswell's FINAL FORM) so you might as well just throw this list away and go back to the drawing board (But fuck haswell nigga I ain't waiting)

In comparison to YOURS, here is MY BUILD. See how it's a LOT more reasonable? See how I'm not buying shit like fucking 300 dollar motherboards for no reason? And even WITH THIS BUILD, I'm STILL thinking about buying one 970 instead of 2 (because I won't be using fucking 1440p monitors) and maybe buying it later, but WE SHALL SEE ON BOXING DAY.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Raymond » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:23 am

I can tell you right now that you don't need two GTX 980s. One alone is enough to run 99% of the games on the market at maxed out settings. The other one will just idle. If anything you will probably end up using it as a back up if your main one dies on you.

The processor in your list isn't bad, it has a really high stock speed and I'm sure you can overclock it (not that you would have to, I don't and mine runs at 3.4Ghz). Shad mentioned the cooler as well. Liquid cooling is a pain in the ass and is more commonly used for GPU's. I would suggest getting a cooler master. You can find them pretty cheap and they work well as long as you know how to apply the right amount of thermal paste and mount it right. I bought mine for $40 I think.

I also agree with GTSYankee, your going overboard with 32GB of ram. 8GB is enough to run any game that is out right now and you can buy 2 4GB sticks for $65 now a days. You can save yourself $200 right there. And if it turns out you need more, you can upgrade later.

I'm not sure why your buying Windows. I guess if you have the money and like to support your products it's up to you, but you could pirate that and save another $80.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is that Asus monitor. Why would you pay $600 for a 27in monitor. The resolution on it is nice, but your not going to notice a huge difference between 1080p and 1440p. I just bought a 32in TV on black Friday for 180$. Most TV's can be used as a monitor anyways. Also why are you buying two monitors? Do you plan to keep one as a back up?

Shad pretty much broke it down for you, just figure out what you plan to do with the computer before you go dropping so much money on it. It's your choice though.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Will » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:46 am

Ok, this is all pretty informative stuff.

The main reason I went for the RoG Swift is because it's 1440p, yes, but also because it's a 144hz monitor with g-sync compatability. I assumed since it was very high resolution, very high framerate, two 980s would help to utilize both those features. 32 gig of ram I have no rebuttal for, I guess I was just excited and assumed more was better.

As for what games I want to play, it's really anything from Minecraft and classic FPS games up to Crysis 3 and the Witcher 2. The reason I went for such overkill is because I want every game I get to look and play as well as it can. Money isn't too much of a factor, I can just save up for longer.

If you have the time, someone, I would really appreciate a build to replace what I planned that will provide a similar experience.I guess I should just go for a1080p 144hz monitor and save £400?

This was the first build I planned. From what you guys have said, this seems like it would be better? I was hoping mainly to spend a lot of money in one go, then not have to worry about extra spending for a few years. Futureproofing I guess.
WillOffline
Professional

Postby Mitch » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:38 am

Go check out alienware bud they will just do all this for u
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Will » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 am

Mitch wrote:Go check out alienware bud they will just do all this for u

WillOffline
Professional

Postby Spock » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:37 am

^ha

Yeah you're kinda killing it with most of this stuff. "Future proofing" as you put it certainly works to a degree but always buying cutting edge stuff isn't the solution either. It's my understanding that buying the absolute newest and best stuff out there might get you an extra month of good performance before you're outdated but it's also gonna cost you a shit ton. As soon as the newer new stuff comes out all this cutting edge shit will be yesterday's news and it'll be half the price of what it is now... And the newer new stuff could come out tomorrow. That being said I could be wrong; I'm no expert like Shad.

Oh, and the 32 gb of ram is neat buf unless you're doing some really high level video editing it shouldn't be necessary (coincidentally I do need ram for just that so if you really want to buy 32 gb of ram just send it to me please :P)
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Raymond » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:53 am

MrWallace wrote:If you have the time, someone, I would really appreciate a build to replace what I planned that will provide a similar experience.I guess I should just go for a1080p 144hz monitor and save £400?

This was the first build I planned. From what you guys have said, this seems like it would be better? I was hoping mainly to spend a lot of money in one go, then not have to worry about extra spending for a few years. Futureproofing I guess.

Once I get a bit more time I can try to design a nice build for you that would be even cheaper than that. I know that I would have really appreciated someone doing that for me with my first build. Your first build looks a lot better. It's nice to see your not set on getting that $300 motherboard.

Two things that still stick out to me in your first build. The case. If you plan to only buy 1 graphics card, you don't need such a large expensive case. You can buy a decent case for $50-$60 that will be perfect for that build.

Also, the GTX 980 is a little more efficient than the older models and uses less power, but you might want to consider getting a 500w, especially if you ever plan to add a CD-Rom Drive. That will use up more power. As is right now, you could probably get away with the 430w without a CD-Rom drive, so long as you get a monitor that doesn't run off your computer's power (most have their own plug now).

I can say that including my 32in monitor which cost $180, I spent about $650-$700 on my build. I just played Crysis 3 not long ago and I could run it at Medium-High settings at 50fps or higher. The thing is, I only have a GTX 660 Ti, which as you can tell is a much older model than the one you plan on getting.

Your processor is also faster than mine. I don't think you would need an i7. i7's are basically quad cores, with 4 virtual cores that mimic the main 4 cores. I have yet to find a game that requires 8 cores, and there are hardly any that require 4. I think you could save some money and buy an i5 instead, which is just the 4 basic cores. I spent 180$ on my processor, and $40 for the cooler, so that's $220 for my CPU and I haven't had any problems with it. (oops, just noticed you have an i5 in your first build, I must be thinking of the i7 you had in your other build)

I think if you have the money, you should build your computer so it's also easy to upgrade when the time comes. Having a nice power supply is something you will always want. 430w will work for you, but a few years down the line if you upgrade your CPU or GPU you may need more power. So you might as well go with something larger than that, considering it's like an extra $30-$40.

You also have 4 memory slots, so if you need another 8GB of ram you could increase that later (ram doesn't use much power and you can probably use 16GB with your 430w power supply.)

That monitor looks a lot more reasonable too. The main things you want to look for is the resolution and the response time, the lower the response time the better.

Sorry to overload you with all of this, you probably know most of it. If you still want me to, I'll try to design a cheaper build for you later.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Just to jump off some of these points (my comments will be in bold)

Raymond wrote:Two things that still stick out to me in your first build. The case. If you plan to only buy 1 graphics card, you don't need such a large expensive case. You can buy a decent case for $50-$60 that will be perfect for that build.

Depends on the GPU, I moved up to a 970 WINDFORCE and th thing is fucking massive, so I could've fit it in my r4 while sacrificing space, so I decided to get a Define r5 for like 30 dollars more. More room and just a nice case overall.

Also, the GTX 980 is a little more efficient than the older models and uses less power, but you might want to consider getting a 500w, especially if you ever plan to add a CD-Rom Drive. That will use up more power. As is right now, you could probably get away with the 430w without a CD-Rom drive, so long as you get a monitor that doesn't run off your computer's power (most have their own plug now.

Thing with this is it's nice to have 100w of headroom for possible overclock/safety, even then, there's just no point in spending 200 extra dollars for a 5% performance increase. That's literally all the 980 is. If you want a massive performance increase it's probably just more worth to SLI 970s, but most people don't need SLI 970s. If you don't think you do, buy ONE 970, and then buy another later (like I'm probably gonna do).

I can say that including my 32in monitor which cost $180, I spent about $650-$700 on my build. I just played Crysis 3 not long ago and I could run it at Medium-High settings at 50fps or higher. The thing is, I only have a GTX 660 Ti, which as you can tell is a much older model than the one you plan on getting.

No comment, this is p much true except at 1440p/4k HD configs, but even THEN, crysis 3 runs like shit on virtually ANYTHING at that point. again, SLId 970s run crysis 3 at like 2560x1440 at like 70-80fps V.High settings... but a single 970 does it at 40 so.

Your processor is also faster than mine. I don't think you would need an i7. i7's are basically quad cores, with 4 virtual cores that mimic the main 4 cores. I have yet to find a game that requires 8 cores, and there are hardly any that require 4. I think you could save some money and buy an i5 instead, which is just the 4 basic cores. I spent 180$ on my processor, and $40 for the cooler, so that's $220 for my CPU and I haven't had any problems with it. (oops, just noticed you have an i5 in your first build, I must be thinking of the i7 you had in your other build)

Reference back to Destiny talking about i7 hyperthreading. It's literally fucking POINTLESS for gaming, and the ONLY thing it's useful for is streaming + gaming at the same time, and that's ONLY if you're rendering something like crysis 3 or some other hxc 'w0w cool gramphics game', for most other generally streamed/captured games (LoL,SC2,DotA2 are big examples that come to mind) YOU WILL NOT NEED THIS.

I think if you have the money, you should build your computer so it's also easy to upgrade when the time comes. Having a nice power supply is something you will always want. 430w will work for you, but a few years down the line if you upgrade your CPU or GPU you may need more power. So you might as well go with something larger than that, considering it's like an extra $30-$40.

This is a good point, having a solid 650-750W PSU with AT LEAST bronze cert is fucking great. Seasonic and Corsair are decent brands, Seasonic is MUCH better but (for me, at least) much more expensive.

You also have 4 memory slots, so if you need another 8GB of ram you could increase that later (ram doesn't use much power and you can probably use 16GB with your 430w power supply.)

Good point again.

That monitor looks a lot more reasonable too. The main things you want to look for is the resolution and the response time, the lower the response time the better.
Another good point, but there's a probably a certain breakpoint where the response time doesn't matter. You prob won't notice the difference between like 7ms to 6ms for example unless you have insane eyesight.

Sorry to overload you with all of this, you probably know most of it. If you still want me to, I'll try to design a cheaper build for you later.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Will » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Ok, this is all really helpful. I would very much like some really high frame rates, something that fully utilizes a 120/144hz monitor would be ideal for me, and I feel like SLI is the way to go there? Perhaps 2 770s? But aren't those cards less efficient than the 9 series?

I really want something that would provide me with a truly exceptional gaming experience, and also give me some sik-as bragging rights and shit.

Sidenote: Why shouldn't I go with Razer components? They go with green theme that I want, and they seem fairly widely used and reliable.
WillOffline
Professional

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Because razer stuff is trash. While the Deathadder 2013 is a decent mouse, the Logitech g400 (and by that extension, the MUCH better g400s) are much better. after using 4 different mice, including the Steelseries Sensei, Deathadder and Abyssus, and the G400s is the best mouse I've used PERIOD.

The razer blackwidow is just garbage, you can find better keyboards from Das and Ducky, and they're all pretty cheap.

I'm saying this stuff from experience too; like I said, I've used 2-3 different razer mouse throughout the years and I still own my blackwidow (of 5 years and counting). If I had known better back then I would've gotten a Ducky or a Das in a heartbeat instead.

http://imgur.com/gallery/LFrp5aH
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/
Only to sleep again.
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:13 am

you could make an equally as good build for less than half the price of that. 3k pounds is rape lol. just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's better (well maybe)

also razer stuff is shit. they break pretty easily, not responsive, just clunky and ugly in general, etc. they're widely used because most people have shit taste and they go to best buy to find the first thing they see. shad's right about mice and them cherry switch mechs. one day i'll get myself a zowie ;_;
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Next

Return to Gaming & Computers