Path of Exile

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Path of Exile

Postby Lush » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Path of Exile

What is it?
Spoiler:
Path of Exile is a loot-based Action RPG by indie developers Grinding Gear Games on the PC. It's free to play and you can register for an account here: http://www.pathofexile.com/

As a long time Diablo 2 fan who didn't really enjoy Diablo 3, I feel this game perfectly hits the mark on what D3 should have been. Huge build diversity, itemization, nice currency system, decent end game and heaps of different new challenge leagues, ladders and content being added to keep the game fresh and interesting - plus it's completely free, well worth checking out!

I'm currently playing a largely self found/crafted lvl 85 crit Ranger on Standard league, using ice shot with the Three Dragons golden mask for ignite proliferation for huge aoe clear, puncture for single target dps and lightning arrow with curse on hit to apply assassin's mark.
Running the higher level maps and Atziri whenever I have the materials to open the Apex of Sacrifice.

If anyone plays this, discuss!
The Team | Forum Rules | Pivot | Flash | PM
Add me on Skype: Rez.dd
LushOffline
Former Top Dawg
Honorary

Re: Path of Exile

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I have this downloaded, but I havent gotten around to playing it for one reason. I want to know, is there any Pay2Win qualities in this game? That's the main thing keeping me from playing.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 pm

I'll prolly end up fucking playing through this with Shad and other niggers at some point. Always thought it looked p dope but never got the chance to try it.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Shad Shadson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 am

Gary wrote:I have this downloaded, but I havent gotten around to playing it for one reason. I want to know, is there any Pay2Win qualities in this game? That's the main thing keeping me from playing.

unless you count buying extra stash 'pay2win' (I don't), there isn't. You can't just 'buy' top teir items and win, you need to find them/buy them with the currency you get from fighting shit (currency as in random trinkets that do random shit like turn whites to blues and blues to rares and shit).

I played a Shadow in hardcore with Ipwnall/Mike and we got the Merciless before we died (he died on act 1, I died on act3). Was pretty fucking fun, but if I'm playing even remotely seriously I just don't enjoy playing the game WITHOUT hardcore on, but I can never find anyone willing to play hardcore so I'm always SOL.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Jon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:41 am

Got bored of it fairly quickly.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Jesus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 am

Just beat the normal difficulty, onto cruel I go.
JesusOffline
Active
Active

Postby Lush » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:15 am

Shad Shadson wrote:
Gary wrote:I have this downloaded, but I havent gotten around to playing it for one reason. I want to know, is there any Pay2Win qualities in this game? That's the main thing keeping me from playing.

unless you count buying extra stash 'pay2win' (I don't), there isn't. You can't just 'buy' top teir items and win, you need to find them/buy them with the currency you get from fighting shit (currency as in random trinkets that do random shit like turn whites to blues and blues to rares and shit).

I played a Shadow in hardcore with Ipwnall/Mike and we got the Merciless before we died (he died on act 1, I died on act3). Was pretty fucking fun, but if I'm playing even remotely seriously I just don't enjoy playing the game WITHOUT hardcore on, but I can never find anyone willing to play hardcore so I'm always SOL.
I do plan to try hardcore sometime soon, this Ranger is my first character so I wanted to understand the mechanics a bit more before playing seriously but now that I've broken into a somewhat glass cannon build I'm not sure I'd want to swap for a less powerful feeling play style.

I have started up a reave ranger, but she's only lvl 20 so it's a bit early to know for sure how the skill handles without any measurable attack and movement speed and whether I like the build or not.

@Gary: The only advantage real life money gives is a larger stash ($10-15 when advertised on the daily deal) which means you can horde a few more items, but other than that cosmetics is all money will buy you.

@Jon: Not a fan of the genre or something about the game itself that turned you off it?

Spoiler:
E- My Ranger at my hideout. Pretty low hp but with my maxed resists, evasion, acrobatics, phase acrobatics, vaal grace, jade flask, Atziri's Step and CoDT Immortal call I'm actually quite survivable. Even when face tanking, the 1-2 seconds of immortal call is all I need to clear the pack as long as I don't get one shot which rarely ever happens.

Last edited by Lush on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Team | Forum Rules | Pivot | Flash | PM
Add me on Skype: Rez.dd
LushOffline
Former Top Dawg
Honorary

Postby Jon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:18 am

I don't know man, I enjoyed playing it, but I just didn't have anything really jump out at me to keep me playing.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Return to Gaming & Computers