Lack of power from USB ports

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Lack of power from USB ports

Postby Jon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:22 am

Okay, so basically I have all my USB ports in use. Two of them are used to power one thing (Astro A40 Mixamp), I had to use two to power it in order to get the mixamp and headset combination to work on both my Xbox and my PC.
Even with that, when I try to stream from my Xbox (which makes all my USB ports in use for webcam, microphone, keyboard, mouse, capture card and the mixamp), things seem to cut out and stop working. I assume this is because my USB ports aren't powerful enough, or either there isn't enough power to go through them.

So my question:

Is this a motherboard issue? Or is this a PSU issue?

Can post specs if need be.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Re: Lack of power from USB ports

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:08 am

Sounds to me like a power supply issue. If you can try testing the power supply on another computer to see if the problem still stands.
TomOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Raymond » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Tom wrote:Sounds to me like a power supply issue. If you can try testing the power supply on another computer to see if the problem still stands.

If you don't have another build to test that power supply with, you could ask for one as a gift or buy one. There like $40-$60. That sounds like a power supply issue though. Did you recently upgrade your computer? Maybe you bought something too powerful for the power supply that you have. The only thing is that if you went over the wattage your power supply puts out, your graphics card would start failing and you would get a flickering screen as well. So it could be a motherboard issue. If your using a case that has extra USB slots on it and all your devices are plugged into those extra USB slots, maybe the wiring leading from those slots to your motherboard is bad. It could be loosely plugged in or the cord might be damaged. Just things you can check I guess.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Jon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah I'm not getting any of those, it was built for me, but all the parts were chosen by me, and it should have enough PSU. I know nothing about motherboards, so it could be that. But I bought an externally powered USB hub which hopefully will solve the issue, just got to wait for it to be deliverd.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Return to Gaming & Computers