Souls Thread

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Souls Thread

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Prepare to die. I know Anthony made one way back but I wanted to do another one. P much discuss DeS, DaS and DaSII.
pve strategies, favorite game, favorite bosses, pvp builds, NG+, fashion, DLC ect.

Souls 2 is currently selling on steam for around 50 dollars iirc, which is well worth the buy imo. Drops down to as low as 15 USD/20 AUD depending on sales so if you'de rather sink less money into it keep an eye out. Game is also well optimized so even if you're on what you perceive to be a potato, do a google search and check out the specifications and you might surprise yourself.

phpBB [video]

Also despite no canonical relationship to the Souls' lore, feel FREE to discuss Bloodborne here.

Souls 30 fps Hype update

phpBB [video]

Spoiler:
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Mitch on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:08 am, edited 13 times in total.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Re: Souls Thread

Postby Yogurt » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 pm

thats some nice pixel art

"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby socks » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:41 pm

WHY ARE YOU IN MY GAME ORNSTEIN?
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:16 am

I can't even hate on the fact that my boy Ornstein is in Souls 2 because he's so cool. The mechanics for his fight were disappointing but who cares its fucking ORNSTEIN.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Peebles » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:40 am

DeS, DaS and DaSII.
pve strategies, favorite game, favorite bosses, pvp builds, NG+, fashion, DLC ect.

I fucking love the Souls games. Dave told me that it will change the way i play games and he was right. I'll just blurb about all the stuff Mitch mentioned.

DeS: Great game. Felt like a really polished PS2 game with ahead of it's time combat and style of gameplay. it was the last game in the souls series that I played, which is a shame, because after getting past the first level (getting used to it) the game was mostly a breeze. it also doesnt develop it's lore as well even with item descriptions. decent npcs, cool designs of course, awesome boss cinematics. but i'll be damned if the level design isnt flawless. Tower Of Latria is an example. Bosses were easy, except for Flame Lurker and Maneaters though.

DaS: First Souls I played. Amazing game. Another flawless design of levels being presented, better looking environments, and fantastic boss design. Felt incredibly rewarding, and had some of the best armor in the Souls series. Easily the best in lore and progression. Great NPCs, and just memorable as hell.

DS2: I can see why people don't like this game, because it's not as good as the other two souls game, but I still think it's pretty great. Progression in the story in a little jumbled and sloppily told, and the ending before the final boss felt a little rushed. Too many unnecessary boss battles. The level design is also pretty dumbed down. ARen't as many interesting detours (if any) and it feels far too linear for a souls game. Didn't feel like I was exploring much. But, it did look great, and the combat felt incredibly more smoother (playing offline that is). Some incredibly armor, and a plethera of weapons, although there arent too many interesting ones.

Pve strats consist of me taking my time, exploring every area i can, and learning from whatever happens around me/from dying. I dont do PvP enough to say that ive tried out a lot of builds.

NG+ in Ds2 is bullshit. it's just more enemies where they dont need to be. and they're RED PHANTOMS not even basic enemies. Fighting The Lost Sinner and 2 Pyromancer red phantoms isnt fun to me. Rest is aight tho.

Fashion? All about the pants and anything but a mask that doesnt cover up everything on your head. I made my character for a reason. on my main in DS2 I wear a bone crown, vestaldt armor, gloves are whatever, and some black leggings. forgot whose they are. I just like to wear lighter stuff, doesnt usually matter how much defense i have. I often two hand a Zweihander anyway.

Ivory King = Iron King > Sunken King.

favorite bosses: Smo and Orangestein, Gravelord Nito, Old Hero, Looking Glass Knight, Artorias, and fighting Manus with Dave and summoned Sif was too cool. Fools Idols and Executioners Chariot were really interesting and fantastic takes on "tricky" boss formulas.

what I want in Bloodborne: a more connected and rich lore (like DS1/2), DS1/DeS type level design, more sense of threat with bigger enemies, foreshadowing a destination (like seeing something far away in a level and saying "Ah, thats where i need to go" and feeling rewarded when you reach it), and a more focused group of bosses. DS2 and DeS had too many unnecessary boss battles. Tighten them up.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:19 am

Yeah Demon Souls progression feels overly linear and I think Dark Souls kinda fixed that, Souls 1 has a progression that feels very fluid and clear but in contrast to demon souls, all the areas in Souls 1 were connected in a more broad manner which gave it a more "open" feeling while still maintaining that sense of knowing where to go. Souls 2 is probably more open but it can get really messy in regards to "where the fuck do I go"

I mean I love Souls 2, in fact I think it might be my favorite Souls game due to how the combat mechanical changed compared to souls 1, it feels like the new combat system is way better for PVP (which is my favorite part) because it's less "heavy animation locks" and a lot more swift hack and slash styled which opens up a lot more playstyle diversity.

All that said sometimes I think Souls 2 tries too hard to BE a Souls game PvE wise. Some of the shit in souls 2 isn't even a challenge it's just tedious searching and the like. On top of that the bosses and setting of Souls 2 was far less creative and memorable in general so while I think I like Souls 2 better, Souls 1 definitely does PvE better.

I mean it really says something when in Souls 2 my biggest loregasm moments were anything that made reference to Souls 1. Like finding Havels set, Old Iron King's theorized ties to Gwyn, The sun alter and of course FUCKING ORNSTEIN HOLY. Souls 1 was just more atmospheric in general and I think acts as an "identity" for the series.

Also my all time favorite bosses are Nito, Moonlight butterfly (waifu), Velstadt and I GUESS Smelter demon even though he's a cunt.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 am

Yeah Dark Souls PvE is generally just overall more enjoyable, and since I absolutely HATE the online community for souls, I don't like Dark Souls 2 as much at all.

I did stop playing both games, though. I stopped playing souls 1 right when I started blighttown the first time through, then got through it just based on force of fucking will. Fuck Blighttown that shit's for niggers and stains an otherwise excellent PvE experience (Also Capra Demon FUCK THAT BOSS).

DS2 Just seems very poorly designed area wise. There's a big fuck-off area on the OTHER SIDE of where you come from and you're almost certainly gonna check it out and it's Heide's Tower and you just shouldn't be there and you should go to the Forest, but that's pretty hidden compared to almost every other path. It's dumb and AIDS and I hate it. I do enjoy the combat a lot more, though. Feels a lot faster and overall many things are more worth using (besides dumb shit like powerstance rapiers/katanas and Crystal Magic Weapon I hate it it's aids) instead of backstab fishing and poise the experience. Definitely the weaker of the two games I've played, and I think it's a below average game as a SOULS game, but I think overall it's pretty damn enjoyable regardless.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:12 am

Shad Shadson wrote:I stopped playing souls 1 right when I started blighttown the first time through

Yeah don't blame you.

Also yes if anyone comes in this thread and tells me that they have used crystal magic weapon in PVP I will tell my dad who works for Darkdemon to fukin ban u.

I walked into Heides as well for the first time and oh boy. That's what I mean when I said that Souls 2 prioritized open world building over a natural progression aesthetic, it really kills the PVE game flow. Like if they wanted to do this whole "Majula branches" styled map they should have just made all the branches like Heides tower and Forest of Giants equally difficult, that way it could have been a cool "choose your path" styled thing as opposed to "you went the wrong way and now giant knights are fucking your tight asshole"
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:28 am

Mitch wrote:I mean it really says something when in Souls 2 my biggest loregasm moments were anything that made reference to Souls 1. Like finding Havels set, Old Iron King's theorized ties to Gwyn, The sun alter and of course FUCKING ORNSTEIN HOLY. Souls 1 was just more atmospheric in general and I think acts as an "identity" for the series.

I agree, only NPC that held my attention in Souls 2 was Lucatiel of Mirrah, jesus fuck what a sad character. They should of fleshed out the NPC's more instead of "oh I gotta buy shit from you lmoa". Though Maughlin is also an interesting NPC when you look at him, he starts out with nothing. You help him out by buying his stuff and his whole personality changes through out the game, it just shows the little help you can do for a person can change their life, at least I think. Souls 1 was better in terms of bosses and lore, but the gameplay in that game didn't hold me in too long cause it was clunky garbage. Especially in PVP.

I played Souls 2 so fucking much, it's too damn enjoyable for me to consider it bad because it didn't live up to the "lel epic lore game"
and I haven't played a game this much since like the old PS2 games and shit.

Accomplishments:
Git gud casuls
TomOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:48 am

Yeah besides Lucatiel the most rich NPC experience I had was killing that cunt for his bluemoon great sword kek.

also obligatory
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Peebles » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:56 am

NPCs in Ds2 were shit. I liked Vengarl, Lucatiel, and the cat or whatever. Everyone else was p thin, character wise. I heard that the Ds2 "remake" will expand on the npc's stories. Which I am excited about.

@Tom Nice blue flames. I didn't know anyone actually did that yet.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 am

Oh yeah the cat I like her too. Shaouqa or some shit, I dunno i'm not gonna fucking google her name and i'm just gonna call her latisha shaniqua shaquan.

I'm also working on Weeaboo Jones. I'm gonna PVP with duel katanas, Hexes and a black trench coat
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Psyclon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:16 am

Fucking excited for Bloodborne, even though I don't have a PS4. Demon's Souls was my favorite out of the series, and one of my favorite video games in general. Glad to see they are doing a followup to that sort of atmosphere.

PsyclonOffline
Active
Active

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:25 am

Yeah pretty sure in early development when those screenies were leaked a lot of people thought Bloodborne was DeS2

More fashion souls:

Raime's legging
Dragonride gauntlets
Alonne's helm
Ruin armor (make sure you don't NG+ king's gate for the ring like I did, it makes getting this a lot harder)

Black Dragon greatsword (Can go for Dragonslayer spear if you want considering BDGS is kinda fucking eh)
Clerics small sheild (has spell parry which is cool I guess, Golden Falcon shield and Buckler also match. Also Black dragon shield if you have shit taste)

Shit is super low weight too which is a bonus.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 am

The Souls games have to be one of Hm favorite games that I've ever played. I picked up DeS on Christmas, and I'm having so much fun with it.

Also, have you guys seen Lords of The Fallen? It's not a souls game, but it plays a lot like a soul game for those who want more Souls-esque games.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Next

Return to Gaming & Computers