Souls Thread

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Re: Souls Thread

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:10 am

Haven't played LotF however I kinda get the impression that the polish was focused in places that it shouldn't have been. The combat looks sort of shitty
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Four » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:49 am

I'm looking to buy a darksouls type of game which one is the best one to get?
ok
FourOffline
VIP

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 am

FourAcross wrote:I'm looking to buy a darksouls type of game which one is the best one to get?

The actual games, Demon Souls or Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2.

Lords of the fallen is not a Souls game, and doesn't have any of the polish of one either. The combat is clunky
and slow, which I get they did it to give the weapons and armor more weight but I think they really overdid it.
It doesn't even offer much challenge.
TomOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am

Yeah i'm still prolly gonna play lords at some point.

@FourAcross: The release of Dark souls 2 also is probably the best gateway into the series. Souls 2 will help you grasp the Dark Souls concept of getting absolutely fucked, but it's still easier than Souls 1. It is also the latest in the series so it's just good to own from a consumer standpoint.

Souls 1 is pretty much your graduation from a hard fuck to brutal prison rape, but because you eased into it with Souls 2 you'll be able to further take in the fact that Souls 1 is THE souls game with all the memorable characters, lore, locations and overall polish in an atmospheric context. Souls 1 is what people think of when they think Dark souls

Then Demon Souls is pretty much that hipster fucking one you play 2 years after and wish you had picked up sooner.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Jon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 am

I really should get back into Dark Souls 2, I didn't get very far before I rage quit hard enough to delete the game off of my harddrive.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 am

Jon wrote:I really should get back into Dark Souls 2, I didn't get very far before I rage quit hard enough to delete the game off of my harddrive.

Once you actually GET to where you need to be, the locations are fairly fluid in regards to navigation.
Definitely use this though - http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/G ... ress+Route

It's not cheating as long as you don't look at the actual zone specifics (mm
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Peebles » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Mitch wrote:
Jon wrote:I really should get back into Dark Souls 2, I didn't get very far before I rage quit hard enough to delete the game off of my harddrive.

Once you actually GET to where you need to be, the locations are fairly fluid in regards to navigation.
Definitely use this though - http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/G ... ress+Route

It's not cheating as long as you don't look at the actual zone specifics (mm

This. It does feel a little confusing especially if it's your first Souls game. Also the areas' progression in DS2 obviously makes no sense to me. Feels thrown in there for the sake of having an X level.

After playing through DS2 the "right" way I just mix it up every playthrough after that. I'll sometimes skip the Forest of Fallen Giants until the end of the game. Iron Keep first is the way to go.

How far have you guys gone without dying? (starting from the beginning). I made it to Sinner Rise :(
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm

I've made it through a full run through without dying. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. How about no bonfire runs? I'm currently attempting one now, and it's hard as fuck when you run out of lifegems.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:28 pm

I have one character with no deaths and another which I've made it through the game with 3 deaths total, my deaths usually consist of accidentally falling off a cliff or one of the turtles in iron keep knock me off, I hate those guys. But it's not really that hard.

@Peebs - Yeah the area progression is weird, I know this is the most obvious one but Iron keep when you think about it is like

But i'm pretty sure it's designed like this, still it makes you wonder.
TomOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 pm

That's always how I imagined the Earthen Peak being.

Speaking of Earthen Peak, you guys seen this yet? It's a giant chunk of the Earthen Peak someone found that was removed from the game.
http://imgur.com/a/IsMVB
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm glad they didn't add that.
I honestly didn't mind earthen peak but it made me feel like I was still in harvest valley which is easily the worst zone in the game imo.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Yea, agreed, but it still would've been neat to see some more added to it. You don't even have to go through 90% of Earthen Peak with that ladder shortcut, so if they added some stuff it would probably give more incentive to go through the whole place.
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:55 am

Prolly gonna end up permanently using this set AND YES I KNOW IT'S A FUCKING KATANA BUT IT'S THE ALONNE SWORD SO ITS OG SHIT.

E: Not even a fully optimized build yet and this does 780 damage after SEPPUKU. thats like 150 more than smelter. Doesn't do the same poise damage but holy shit. Sanctum crossbow is fucking dumb as well.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Gary » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 am

Oh man, the Alonne Katana is fucking great. I love it so much. And I never really liked the Sanctum Crossbow all that much. The special attack is great, but never liked it otherwise.

http://www.fashion-souls.com/?g=m&Head=110&Chest=229&Arms=64&Legs=40
I've been using this fashion souls recently. It looks so good when you get the Drakekeeper Sword and Llewelyn Shield to go along with it. I'll post actual screenshots of it when I get home.
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am

Reason i went with sanctum is because it's the highest DPS non repeater crossbow in the game (meaning the STR requirements are low af). I'm honestly considering just sinking 25 into str and going with Avelyn though, which would also allow me to 1H the sword as well. Also with no dependence on Dark elemental damage I could make up the lost points in Dex by taking all my int and faith and moving them to dex.

Also I fucking LOVE the Llewelyn sheild for fashion souls. Whole set there looks great man, really rustic.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming & Computers