Not Wanting to Wake the Sleeping Giant

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Not Wanting to Wake the Sleeping Giant

Postby Lord » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:59 pm

So, I've got my room (I'll post pictures tomorrow) and the connection is pure shizzballs. I've been reading Yahoo and think I've pulled a gold nugget out of the dung.
The comment said that if I'm constantly losing connection (which I am) that I should change the channel on my modem by using some numbers and stuff on the modem, typing them up and then when you get to this stage experiment with the channels.
Now, what I need to know is if this will just affect my laptop or will it affect everything else in the house.

I don't want an army after me so any comment will be appreciated, thanks.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Re: Not Wanting to Wake the Sleeping Giant

Postby Lord » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Hmph... the connection's stabilised. It's at 5 bars and hardly moving. I suppose the better question is, why is my connection fluctuating?
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Shad Shadson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Simple explanation. The 'numbers' you typed in were most likely the default gateway for your router (though you generally need to SIGN IN to the router to get access to do this shit, so I dunno).

The shit you're fucking with is channels and bandwidth, which are all affected by a ton of things (wireless interference, people using the same channel as you, etc) which can slow down your connection. There's a bunch of websites that can help you find the 'optimal' channels and stuff. I'm pretty sure linus talks about it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZk0ksn0Yak

That is, assuming you're using wifi (which it seems like you are by the picture you've given)
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Lord » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Shad Shadson wrote:Simple explanation. The 'numbers' you typed in were most likely the default gateway for your router (though you generally need to SIGN IN to the router to get access to do this shit, so I dunno).

The shit you're fucking with is channels and bandwidth, which are all affected by a ton of things (wireless interference, people using the same channel as you, etc) which can slow down your connection. There's a bunch of websites that can help you find the 'optimal' channels and stuff. I'm pretty sure linus talks about it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZk0ksn0Yak

That is, assuming you're using wifi (which it seems like you are by the picture you've given)

Yessum, wifi, I'll be sure to check that out. ;)
Ma' thread
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Return to Gaming & Computers