Thoughts on various types of DLC

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Thoughts on various types of DLC

Postby ZeroZephyrum » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:33 pm

So, feel free to post your thoughts here about various types of DLC and how you think they should be, since we all know we're never getting rid of DLC now.

In my opinion, this is how DLC should work. Unless the DLC basically adds a whole second game to your game, the maximum price for a DLC should be £10, only going over that if the DLC is really considered worth more than that by fans. (which means all DLC like that should be £10 or less at first, only going up in price if the fans consider it to be good enough.), something like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare, or the Episodes From Liberty City for GTA IV could fall under this.

If the DLC just adds a few quests or levels, it should be up to around £6 or £7, the DLCs for a lot of Bethesda games could fall under either this or the section above depending on how good they are.

If it's something like just a weapons pack, or adding a new character, £4 - 5 or less. I can't think of any examples for this but I'm sure it's pretty easy to get what I mean.

If it's just an appearance change, such as the various costume packs you can get on most fighting games, they should be free for individual costumes, and only up to about £2 for a pack that gives costumes to all characters. An example of this would be the two costumes you can get for Talion in Shadow Of Mordor, while they're only 79p and as such not THAT much of a rip off, an individual costume should preferrably be completely free, whereas packs where you can only get those costumes via those packs, such as the various themed packs for DOA and Soul Calibur, should only cost up to £2, and should cover ALL of the characters, not just 3 or 4 characters a "pack".

So, that's my opinion, what's everyone elses?
Begone.. With the Thunderclap!

ZeroZephyrumOffline
Active
Active

Re: Thoughts on various types of DLC

Postby Caleb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Fuck character DLCs in fighting games. Skins or stages I'm fine with, but Jesus fuck the way it is is so retarded.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby ZeroZephyrum » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm fine with extra characters as DLC, as long as they were actually made AFTER the game was released, instead of already being on the disk and locked away.

Characters costumes should be free, or very cheap in large packs.

Stages are dependant on how interactive the stage is imo.
Begone.. With the Thunderclap!

ZeroZephyrumOffline
Active
Active

Postby Caleb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Well it kinda depends. If the developers left them out because they thought them obsolete and then the fanbase gets mad as fuck for not having what is suddenly everyone's favorite character (see Rain/Smoke in Mortal Kombat X) then yeah okay I'll take it. All other things are bad excuses imo.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Daniël » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm honestly quite fine with the existence of DLC. In my opinion, if you some triple A game developer feels like releasing an unfinished game and charges extra for the DLC that does create the whole experience, they have all right to. If you're stupid enough to buy all that shit or feel like it's worth paying a bit extra, go knock yourself out.

Let's face it, artistic integrity within the (western) triple A market is close to non-existent these days and it's honestly not surprising considering how much more resources go into a modern day game.

So yeah, if you feel like it's bullshit to buy extra content, then just don't. If you feel like you're ripped off, it's probably your own fault, considering how widely games are reviewed these days.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Gary » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 pm

There's only two types of DLC I don't like.

1.) Day one DLC
2.) Preorder DLC

I'm fine with any other type of DLC.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby tenks » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 am

DLC should enhance the game not give me content i already technically payed for
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Schmitty » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:28 am

Gary wrote:There's only two types of DLC I don't like.

1.) Day one DLC
2.) Preorder DLC

I'm fine with any other type of DLC.

Basically this. Usually when it comes to DLC, I wont pay for it unless a) I enjoy the game and want to continue to support the developers; or b) The advertised DLC adds some new elements to the game and it's over all enjoyment.

I'm not going to condemn anyone fore buying DLC that I think is stupid, nor am I going to condemn developers for adding payed DLC that adds nothing but aesthetics to the game. The best recent example would be Evolve. Sure, I think the amount of DLC that was with it day one is absolutely ridiculous, but at the same time all the DLC that was there was skins only. They are a bit over priced in my opinion, but at the same time if people do decide to buy it they're not getting any advantages over me because they payed extra. They're just getting a cool looking skin for their monster/hunter of choice.
SchmittyOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Mitch » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:47 am

Scholar of the first nothing is fucking different in fact they made everything worse.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby MCToast » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 am

I'm more against pre-orders than DLCs
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Shad Shadson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 am

DLC is generally shit, some are more shit then others. That's basically entirely how I see it. I see Scholar as a REALLY REALLY SHIT DLC that most likely puts any future content behind a 20-40 dollar paywall if you've already bought dark souls II. That's ridiculous especially since it completely fucking ruins the entire idea and structure behind how enemies were placed in dark souls I (not like dark souls II already didn't do that but this made it fucking worse).

The worst is when you put cool/important shit behind paywalls or are Capcom. On Disc DLC for fucking MVC 3 that you CANNOT access without paying 20 dollars? re-releasing the exact same fucking game every 2 months with like 3 more characters for another 40 fucking bucks? Give me a fucking break Capcom come on. And don't even MENTION the 5 dollar Goro paywall. What in the absolute FUCK was Netherrealm thinking other then "hey let's take money because we're greedy cunts"

Finally there's just a point where you can blatantly tell the game was made to "utilize" micro-transactions and because of that the quality suffered because they didn't give a fuck. Case in point: Evolve, that game was literally designed to make you chug micro-transactions and because of that the game quality is obviously fucking garbage (walk around simulator 2093) and they don't even give a fuck about balance because some of the monsters are just straight up way better then others. Another good example is the Dungeon Keeper mobile game which is a slap in the face to such a great fucking franchise.

So yeah, I fucking generally hate DLC, unless it's actually made with care by COMPANIES that have proved themselves (Blizzard with literally every massive update they've done is either free or called an 'expansion pack' for a reason, they've done it since fucking Brood War; Lab Zero and Skullgirls characters are all really excellent, they are amazingly balanced and have their own little niche they fill, and CD Projekt Red is releasing DLC that adds AT LEAST 30 extra hours of gameplay. That's awesome.) I feel like DLC have to be crafted with the same or similar amount of care as you put into the actual game itself or it's gonna fucking show and I'm gonna be pissed.

EDIT:And now with Valve taking Skyrim mods and allowing mod devs to put THOSE behind paywalls, this is fucking stupid. This sets such a president for people to abuse it or put more value in their work then there obviously is and it's gonna make it really fucking gay. I do agree that EVERYONE should be paid for their work, but this is gonna be realllllllllllly dumb, especially in it's current state. The modders only make like 25% of what they ask and DON'T GET PAID PERIOD until they make Valve/Bethesda 400 dollars.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Return to Gaming & Computers