Casual and non-competetive gaming

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Casual and non-competetive gaming

Postby SIFTER » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:13 pm

For a while now, I've been lurking in gaming forums to see what kinda discussion goes there. And apparently, to most, being non-competetive or casual is bad, skrub-like and is considered as an offense. But in my personal opinion, games can be just a nice relaxing meditation under a water fall that lets you escape the shitty reality for a while to mentally refresh yourself back to whatever stress you could possibly be into (work like drugs, except they don't physically damage your body as much), not a thing or place where you compete so hard it becomes debilitating and makes you sacrifice your life for the sake of the competition.

So what I'm trying to ask is: Is it bad to be a chill, non-competetive and casual gamer who plays games only when he really, really has nothing else to do other than gaming? I understand the importance of being competetive in many areas, but in my opinion, games in especial shouldn't be as competetive as whatever.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Re: Casual and non-competetive gaming

Postby MCToast » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:28 pm

I don't play video games since I'm an adult, but playing them for your enjoyment only sounds far less stupid than being a competitive nerd.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Kermit » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Yea sifter, only kids play games. Gawd you're such a nerd.
KermitOffline
The Frog
The Frog

Postby Cressel » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:16 pm

No one should care about who enjoys what. It's natural competitive games make more content in a forum than non competitive on threads because of it's simple nature of comparison, it's easy and fun to compete with a community. But I think we all play non competitive games as well although they're not as easy/fun to chit chat about.
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 am

MCToast wrote:I don't play video games since I'm an adult, but playing them for your enjoyment only sounds far less stupid than being a competitive nerd.

Do you still record stupid noises and claim them to be music?

I enjoy playing video games, and I'm a competitive person by nature, so I generally enjoy taking it a little bit more seriously. But in saying that I love to fuck around as well.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Lord » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 am

I suppose, I don't play for competition against other people, but more so for myself. I can't be bothered how good anyone else is doing but I'm only interested in furthering my own skill of a game.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 am

Jon wrote:
MCToast wrote:I don't play video games since I'm an adult, but playing them for your enjoyment only sounds far less stupid than being a competitive nerd.

AHAHAHHAAH
MoriOffline
PASS PASS PASS
PASS PASS PASS

Postby MCToast » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:34 am

Jon wrote:

I'm glad you're a much better person than I am, but you don't have to be a dick about it.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:58 am

MCToast wrote:
Jon wrote:

I'm glad you're a much better person than I am, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

Thanks for noticing.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Caleb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:19 pm

It probably depends on the game you play. Games that have big competitive play essentially become sports. It's just like that one guy in PE that's always yelling at everyone because they're not as amazing at soccer as he is or some shit. People are just fucking stupid and you should enjoy whatever the fuck you want however you want.

That said, stay in casual servers if you want to play as a casual. Otherwise you're pretty much asking for it.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Kermit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:19 pm

Im scared to death by competition, it's gotten to the point where i shiver when im about to start up my PC and get into a game of whatever it is,
It's not that I'm afraid of losing, I have lots of experience with dealing with a loss actually its just that i might slip up in front of others and get yelled at.
It sounds really silly but fucking up and waiting for that text to pop that says you suck or something just really makes me feel low.
I'd love to find a casual game i like but at the same time i want the competetive aspect to be there just for encouragement or what not, but getting my self esteem plunged down to the ground doesn't sound to good either.
KermitOffline
The Frog
The Frog

Postby Caleb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Kermit wrote:Im scared to death by competition, it's gotten to the point where i shiver when im about to start up my PC and get into a game of whatever it is,
It's not that I'm afraid of losing, I have lots of experience with dealing with a loss actually its just that i might slip up in front of others and get yelled at.
It sounds really silly but fucking up and waiting for that text to pop that says you suck or something just really makes me feel low.
I'd love to find a casual game i like but at the same time i want the competetive aspect to be there just for encouragement or what not, but getting my self esteem plunged down to the ground doesn't sound to good either.

You should play a game like Chivalry, Toribash or Mount Your Friends that just starts off as a big troll and then turns into an actual fun game when you get the hang of it. Hell, Super Smash Bros has this if you have a Wii U. Just don't let it turn into an actual fear, but if it makes you feel bad then you're free to just play other fun games.

Also, try to consider that those people are just someone random in front of the pc. They wouldn't say it if they got to see you in public, but they can hide behind their username and character so they turn into dicks.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Caleb wrote:It's just like that one guy in PE that's always yelling at everyone because they're not as amazing at soccer as he is or some shit.

I was like that in PE. But I was master race of every sport besides basketball.

Caleb wrote:That said, stay in casual servers if you want to play as a casual. Otherwise you're pretty much asking for it.

This is on point though. You click competitive / ranked, or you click casual/unranked. The choice is there most of the time.

Kermit wrote:Im scared to death by competition, it's gotten to the point where i shiver when im about to start up my PC and get into a game of whatever it is,

You can't let what people say on the internet effect you. I was similar when I first started playing CS:GO, but if you shrug it off, have a sly comment back (tell them to fuck off or whatever idk) and you end up building a thicker skin towards the toxicity that is thrown your way.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Yogurt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 am

im in the top percentile in a game about clicking circles to anime music

thats about it in terms of competitive gaming, i mostly play any game i pick up casually
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Return to Gaming & Computers