PC upgrade(UPDATE)

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

PC upgrade(UPDATE)

Postby SIFTER » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:54 pm

By the summer time, I will have had enough money to upgrade my PC conveniently.

My PC
hp pro 3500 mt << full specs

I am willing to upgrade the ram to 8GB, GPU to Nvidia geforce GTX 750 ti, and add a new monitor, provided I'm given a bigger desk. One that fits two monitors.

What I'm asking is this: Am I going to have any problems running the said GPU on my PC? GPU's only 60w and minimum to run it is 300W(doesn't require a 6pin chord). My PC's PSU is 300w. I'd red on forums that it can work just fine-some say that a PSU upgrade might be necessary. I'd asked a PC parts' shop owner about it and he was quite positive. Do you guys really think I need to upgrade my PSU for that? I don't know if it will be possible for me to get a new one which is why I'm asking. Just to make sure.
Last edited by SIFTER on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Re: PC upgrade

Postby Raymond » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Well considering you have a 300 watt power supply and the minimum system power requirement for the GTX 750 TI is 300 Watts. You could get by using your current power supply. Although you might not be able to utilize your GPU to it's full potential. Especially if you have other things consuming power like a CD-Rom drive, external hard drives, gaming keyboards/headsets, wireless card, etc. You wouldn't be able to over-clock it or anything.

I'm running the GTX 660 TI which has a minimum system power requirement of 450 Watts, and I'm currently using a 430 Watt power supply. It works, but I'm really cutting it close. I haven't noticed any issues though and I've been running it like this for almost 2 years. So yea... you should be ok with your current power supply. Just make sure your monitors have their own power cords and don't run off your power supply.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Skype » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:46 pm

They say to allow for 20% over. So ideally you'd want a 350 watt psu. It'll work but you might not get optimal performance.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby robotmayo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:20 am

I ran 400w for my 750ti build and it worked without any issue.
robotmayoOffline
Retired
Retired

Re: PC upgrade (UPDATE)

Postby SIFTER » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:26 pm

It's summer where I live now, and as planned, I got myself the two components. If there's anything to say about this it must be the shockingly huge improvement in terms of performance. It's almost like the performance's tripled at the very least. What games I could play at 10 to 20fps on lowest graphics on 720p I can now run at 60 fps+. Maxed out. What's strange, though, is how the PC takes more time to boot. For the record, I did add the GPU to the motherboard with just 4 GB of ram, and it seemed like it--the ram-- bottlenecked the PC. Things went obnoxiously slower, so I had to take the GPU out until I got to lay my hands on 8GB. Expectedly, even with just 300w PSU--sadly I'm not sure I'll be able to replace it anytime soon, nor do I think my motherboard will be able to support it, but what do I know about computers anyway--the PC ran like a fucking charm oh man.

I might run a benchmark soon, just to see what's it really capable of. In any case, I'm extremely happy with it, and for my needs, I'm not sure I'll ever require to upgrade again for a few years, if the PC by itself doesn't decide to kick it.

Again, this is my current set:

Prebuilt hp 3500 mt
    Motherboard Foxconn 2ABF
    CPU core i3-3220
    RAM standard 8GB ram (4x4)
    GPU Asus strix GTX 750 ti 2GB OC edition
Probably, if there's anything I would buy in the future, thoug, It has to be a new monitor, for this one is utter shit. What colors are on top aren't 100% the same at the bottom. The difference is slight, but it makes a difference sometimes when I'm working on something that really relies on color accuracy. It doesn't even have an hdmi port ffs. Here's the monitor:
Spoiler:
click for link

It's a stock monitor anyway, so what would I expect? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you guys have any tips as to what to keep in mind when buying a good, reasonably-priced monitor with a decent size, I would really appreciate it. And, I don't know, if you guys could suggest any addition to this semi-alright turd, I'm happy to take it into consideration.

Thanks to whoever sat through this whole wall of text.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Return to Gaming & Computers