My Cooling system n shit

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

My Cooling system n shit

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:31 am

Damn Ray, back at it again with the low activity... spicy man.

But seriously though, I havent been here a while and its cuz my new laptop that I received for Christmas has a problem with the cooling system... I tried to take the back off and then clean them or something like that but for some reason the back of my computer wont even come off.... so.. yeah.

I'm not very technologically inclined.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Re: My Cooling system n shit

Postby Vito » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:03 am

Why don't you buy a cooling fan? I mean replace the old one. It's cheap man :'v.
. (scared .
VitoOffline
VIP

Postby Raymond » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 pm

You could just buy a laptop cooling pad and see how that works out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=laptop+cooling+pad&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3287268041&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4942589558264435415&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6hggaixps5_e

Or you could find out where you're graphics card is located (because that's where most of your heat is likely coming from) and cut out a hole in the casing, and maybe hot glue a dust filter over the hole.

Something that looks like this: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_165093_1.jpg

With my old gaming laptop I got a laptop cooling pad and I cut a hole in the bottom and it dropped my temps by pretty much half. Or if you have the money you can look into having liquid cooling installed. Your computer might not be compatible though. Unless you can get it custom made, but that's usually more expensive than what it's worth.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:19 am

Ok, so if I bought a cooling fan, would it be that effective since its my laptops cooling system that isnt working right? Or will it still do what its supposed to do? Because if so then I can have a cooling fan in a few days probably.

EDIT: Hey wait, does the cooling fan go ..... inside the laptop? or is it like on the outside or something..... I am not very technologically inclined.

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 am

Ray/Crh123 wrote:Ok, so if I bought a cooling fan, would it be that effective since its my laptops cooling system that isnt working right? Or will it still do what its supposed to do? Because if so then I can have a cooling fan in a few days probably.

EDIT: Hey wait, does the cooling fan go ..... inside the laptop? or is it like on the outside or something..... I am not very technologically inclined.

It's on the outside. You rest your laptop on top of it. You might need to fix your heatsink. It probably needs new thermal paste.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Vito » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:46 am

Raymond wrote:It's on the outside. You rest your laptop on top of it. You might need to fix your heatsink. It probably needs new thermal paste.

Yeah thermal paste is cheap, only rub at the rapid heat part such as processor.
. (scared .
VitoOffline
VIP

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:30 am

Well Im not sure that this is caused by overheating. I left my laptop sitting in a pretty dusty area and cant dust mess up the cooling system also? Either way, thanks for the help guys.

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 am

Ray/Crh123 wrote:Well Im not sure that this is caused by overheating. I left my laptop sitting in a pretty dusty area and cant dust mess up the cooling system also? Either way, thanks for the help guys.

Well yea it definitely can. Just use an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blow out most of the dust. If you have to, unscrew some of the bottom panels so you can get at areas that are harder to access. It's not hard to screw the panels back on, just don't take out any of the parts.

Also there is a thing in your laptop called a heatsync which basically transfers the warm air from parts in your computer (processor/graphics card) to a vent on the side of your computer. You can't screw a heatsync onto a processor/graphics card, so in order to bridge the small gap between the heatsync and the chips, they use what is called thermal paste/compound. It looks like toothpaste and it seals the gap. Maybe your thermal paste went bad. It's usually recommended that you change the paste around every 2-3 years. But maybe your chip got so hot it messed up the paste or something. It's easy to clean off the chip and add more, but you would need to know where the chips are and how to take apart your laptop.

If you are not comfortable doing this, I'd recommend trying the compressed air first, and if that doesn't help you should probably take it to a shop and have them do it. Just don't let them rope you into other shit like buying their anti-virus because they "noticed your computer has a lot of malware." I can't tell you how many times I've had a customer call in where I work saying they got a phone call from someone telling them there was a virus on their computer and they can fix it for $100. It's sad because people fall for this. They take advantage of less-informed people. So just be careful if you take it to a repair shop. Tell them you want the heating problem fixed and that's it.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Return to Gaming & Computers