Personal Computer

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Personal Computer

Postby Echo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:48 pm

So I'm going to build my own "gaming" pc and I just wanted to ask if radeon rx460 2gb and a pentinum g4400 is going to last me at least 2 years. I'm on a low budget so I can't afford anything more powerful.

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Re: Personal Computer

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Echo wrote:So I'm going to build my own "gaming" pc and I just wanted to ask if radeon rx460 2gb and a pentinum g4400 is going to last me at least 2 years. I'm on a low budget so I can't afford anything more powerful.

That processor is actually pretty good for the price. Based on the reviews I've read, it's actually better than it's counter part (i3-6100) which costs twice as much. Some people were saying they could run Gears of War 4 on ultra settings with it. You might not get the same results, that person probably has a better graphics card than you plan on getting, but it's still obviously capable of running newer games. However game designers are probably going to start utilizing quad-core processors more often because they are becoming more common. Even so, you might get away with using that processor for the next 3-4 years if you don't mind lowering setting as games become more intensive.

The graphics card seems pretty good. It should run most games on medium-high settings. You may get away with running something like Fallout 4 on ultra settings, but you'll probably get frame spikes because of the sun shafts and stuff (you can always experiment with adjusting the settings). Just be weary about which manufacturer you buy from. Each one has their own overclocking software and cooling systems. Some companies like EVGA build their cards to overclock automatically to about 10% if needed, while others like GIGABYTE leave that decision up to you. Even so, without overclocking that card you should have a decent experience.

Also make sure you have at least 8GB of RAM if you want to play newer games as well, RAM is cheap.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Echo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Raymond wrote:That processor is actually pretty good for the price. Based on the reviews I've read, it's actually better than it's counter part (i3-6100) which costs twice as much. Some people were saying they could run Gears of War 4 on ultra settings with it. You might not get the same results, that person probably has a better graphics card than you plan on getting, but it's still obviously capable of running newer games. However game designers are probably going to start utilizing quad-core processors more often because they are becoming more common. Even so, you might get away with using that processor for the next 3-4 years if you don't mind lowering setting as games become more intensive.

The graphics card seems pretty good. It should run most games on medium-high settings. You may get away with running something like Fallout 4 on ultra settings, but you'll probably get frame spikes because of the sun shafts and stuff (you can always experiment with adjusting the settings). Just be weary about which manufacturer you buy from. Each one has their own overclocking software and cooling systems. Some companies like EVGA build their cards to overclock automatically to about 10% if needed, while others like GIGABYTE leave that decision up to you. Even so, without overclocking that card you should have a decent experience.

Also make sure you have at least 8GB of RAM if you want to play newer games as well, RAM is cheap.

This is awesome to hear! Thanks for the advice and explaining stuff man, much appreciated. I would have probably gotten 4 gb ram since I don't really know what it does, also i have absolutely 0 problem with lowering settings, i'd even play games on low settings if I had to just so i can get steady fps. Anyway thanks!

Currently i have a laptop with 8gb ram a radeon hd 7400 and intel hd graphicds 3000 lol

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Echo wrote:This is awesome to hear! Thanks for the advice and explaining stuff man, much appreciated. I would have probably gotten 4 gb ram since I don't really know what it does, also i have absolutely 0 problem with lowering settings, i'd even play games on low settings if I had to just so i can get steady fps. Anyway thanks!

Currently i have a laptop with 8gb ram a radeon hd 7400 and intel hd graphicds 3000 lol

RAM stands for Random Access Memory. Lets say you have 5 tabs open in your web browser. You're generally only viewing one at a time. But when you switch between tabs, it's less efficient to have to re-download the entire webpage all over again, so instead your computer stores the information from the already opened tabs within your RAM, so it can quickly access them again. That's why if you're short on RAM, it takes your computer a longer time to switch between tabs if you have a lot of them open. It's pretty much the same with games, they need a place to store random information which they may have to re-open within a short time.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Echo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Raymond wrote:RAM stands for Random Access Memory. Lets say you have 5 tabs open in your web browser. You're generally only viewing one at a time. But when you switch between tabs, it's less efficient to have to re-download the entire webpage all over again, so instead your computer stores the information from the already opened tabs within your RAM, so it can quickly access them again. That's why if you're short on RAM, it takes your computer a longer time to switch between tabs if you have a lot of them open. It's pretty much the same with games, they need a place to store random information which they may have to re-open within a short time.

Well, I'm glad you informed me about this, i would have picked 4gb ram and probably went crazy because i would have no idea why my pc is acting slow.

EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Return to Gaming & Computers