League of Legends

Come here for all your gaming and computer needs.

Re: League of draven

Postby Caleb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 am

His ult's better than Leona's though. If you can manage to actually be a barrier between your and their team you can force at least 3 people to focus you unless they manage to dash over you. Also, Q range is pretty good.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Shad Shadson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:35 am

Caleb wrote:I feel like that's fine though. impaKt did a good job of explaining why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOw1EAhm-Ng

tl;dr Thresh is fine, other supports are just underpowered/bad designs.

I've seen this and only half agree. It's not that I'm not fine with supports not doing damage or not having a niche or being good. When you think 'what is thresh good at', you usually say 'pretty much everything.' He has no downsides other then having to learn a champ. That's the same excuse people used for Twisted Fate and Lee Sin and Elise, and it doesn't cut it anymore. If champions are too powerful champions are too powerful. I DON'T think thresh is fine where he is. I DO think thresh needs tradeoffs.

Is thresh too powerful currently? Yes, but that's because they took power away from every other support in the game. I still think getting rid of thresh's passive on flay is the best way to go about nerfing him, and it's probably honestly the only thing I'd change other then making lantern cd longer to punish thresh for using it to simply safely grab souls and lowering cd for when someone clicks it (problem with this is people will click it when he's grabbing souls/something like that as a way to abuse this, I still think something should be done about this though). It's way too good on death sentence, and it still allows him to trade decently combined with his range. I'm sick of seeing everyone play thresh simply because if you want to play support at a competitive level you basically HAVE to play thresh. I'm glad more champions are coming out (Karma, Morgana are the biggest recent instances). If riot wants to increase support diversity they have to do something about thresh, because right now it's "Thresh + X and people that can survive/deal with Thresh + X" and I think that's boring as fuck.

I'm not even saying he's the only one at fault because if he's pushed out I think we'll see karma every game which would suck doubly so for me because I played a shit ton of karma starting immediately after I saw Dig's Karma/Sivir bot lane and thought it had a lot of potential. I still think Mantra q needs nerfs because early game that shit does WAY too much damage and is like impossible to miss. You can win the lane early just by hitting enough q's and it's only like 40 mana/q. But having a champion who you can just default to for any situation is the dumbest fucking thing (see: Renekton). Besides Lucian (and Ezreal in Korea), you generally don't see the same thing with carries. A lot of carries are played for different situations (bar ashe, kogmaw, quinn who's a mess, MF,Tristana,Varus, and that's all because all but trist have little/no mobility and get punished by champions who get on them, so everyone. Trist's problem is she has no impact until she has 3 VERY EXPENSIVE items finished, but by that point she's literally god. Doesn't matter if your team's getting shit on before that point, though.)

Tl;DR: I think thresh is overpowered, I think punishing him for poor use of lantern and removing flay passive entirely is best way of fixing this. I do think he's a step in the right direction, but saying other supports are 'unpowered/have broken kits' is just wrong when you consider that thresh is basically the 3.5e Bard of League (ie: Bards are supposed to do everything decently but do nothing amazing, but with enough optimization in building + gameplay 3.5e bards did pretty much everything great AT LEAST).

Braum is meant to be (pretty much) entirely defensive. I like the idea; feels like they're trying to remake alistar properly this time (alistar wasn't even meant to be a support if I recall originally, but that's another story). I like Alistar, so I'll probably be picking russian circus strongman AKA Angus up. He kind of refines alistar's problems (1. is boring as fuck early game because you do literally fucking 0, but whatever 2. his mana costs probably won't be alistar teir retarded. 3. Alistar brings nothing to the team when headbutt pulv are on cooldown. you might as well be a fucking tumbleweed.) but trades for it with alistar's offensive strengths (ie: alistar has kill pressure as early as level 2, headbutt and pulv can literally change games, and finally alistar's tankiness at level 6 is unrivaled by anyone bar like maokai.)

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/bo ... 1387964773 good ol Angus.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby piroz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 am

thresh's offensive power is semi-reliant on landing a hook. the second you land a hook it's fucking OVER unless the hooked dude has heal/flash/other skills of the same type. even if you don't land a hook you can just flash flay ult and lob a lantern at the adc (or tank in teamfights) for the followup and game over. even if you make his Q, E, ult and E passive do 0 damage but retain the cc he will still be a really good support simply because of the utility he provides. since braum seems like an anti-offensive support champion (happy thanksgiving leona and thresh) we'll just have to wait for him and see what happens.

in other news i'm plat lol (btw i'm nomad from the old site IGN: the gaffer)
pirozOffline

Postby Caleb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 am

I kind of agree with the lantern thing, that shit's broke. Also, the change they did to Q that gives it shorter cooldown if you hit it was hella bad, freakin 7 second cd on grab if you hit them all, and you can just throw them in a way that it would always hit something (perhaps a minion/jungle creep) and have it up like all the time. Also, people are generally bad at grasping Thresh's E range. I've caught people off with a simple flay box combo more times than I'd like to see.

Honestly though, in a scenario where both players are equally matched, I think Thresh won't have that big of an edge until teamfights happen and his box is God.
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Kev » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Caleb wrote:Honestly though, in a scenario where both players are equally matched, I think Thresh won't have that big of an edge until teamfights happen and his box is God.

so in other words you think he outclasses every support in the game lol
very few games where teamfights dont happen

imo thresh is too much utility on one champion + he actually does a fairly significant amount of damage while being tanky or whatever the fuck you built on him
he can zone with q, grab and catch with it, sometimes escape with it
his w gives him vision, saves his allies, and takes souls for him (which is admittedly not really useful in the big picture)
his e gives him bonus damage, nukes for more than most supports except maybe leona, pulls enemies toward him in a small aoe, or pushes them away
his r is a 99% slow/50% slow aoe nuke that can peel for your carry or fuck around with the enemy team in a quasi amumu ult
also i believe his q counts as a knockup for yasuo and his e definitely does (pretty situational though)

as opposed to everyone else
blitzcrank can grab someone relatively safely, run quickly, knock one target up, and do an aoe nuke/interrupt that does NOTHING MORE THAN THAT
and like i guess he randomly shoots off electricity

leona has a single target melee range stun, a long range single target snare, a smallish melee range aoe nuke, and a range aoe stun/slow

alistar literally has a small aoe melee range nuke/knockup, a knock away, a heal, and a spell that just makes himself a lot more tanky
all on ridiculously long cooldowns

thresh feels like he can do way more than any other support relatively safely
you actually get to choose to pull towards them or not
blitzcrank is fucked if he pulls amumu
alistar is fucked if he w's into a bad fight
thresh doesn't have to do anything if he q's the wrong target
Image naga
KevOffline
VIP

Postby XElite109 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 pm

That angus thing was hilarious lol.
I really can't wait till that new champ Braum comes out
XElite109Offline
VIP
VIP

Postby Swaikha » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 pm

i love league

i think we should get a ranked 5s or 3s team together, for DD
^click for animation thread^ :)
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby Caleb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Then again, I'm pretty sure we'll never be online at the same time. Even if we are, we might not even be in the same server for all we know.
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Swaikha » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Caleb wrote:Then again, I'm pretty sure we'll never be online at the same time. Even if we are, we might not even be in the same server for all we know.

Well, we can make arrangements.

I play on NA.
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:41 pm

calebs in euw iirc
Image naga
KevOffline
VIP

Postby Swaikha » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 am

awh :(

na is where its at :)
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby Caleb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 am

I wish EUW competitive play was actually interesting nowadays. All the teams are looking kinda meh.

Edit: Reached -3 LP. I'd be proud of it if it's not in silver.
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby piroz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 am

>euw scene

ZZZZZZZZ
pirozOffline

Postby Silo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 am

Summoner name: Kibaski
Add me <3