Finished my animation degree! -P2k

Animations posted here won't be ranked or affect your skill level.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: School - weight lift and toss assignment

Postby Franklin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Wait, why hasn't anybody commented on this yet?

Anyways, that animation is freaking amazing. Really humbling for the standards of "elite" animators on this forum.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: School - weight lift and toss assignment

Postby P2k » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks man.

Finished another animation assignment today. We had to animate a walk and run cycle with 2 different characters and have them interact in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFxMrY ... e=youtu.be

The animation is sloppy for the parts that aren't the walk/run cycles since that part isn't graded and I was short on time.
Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Re: School - walk and run short

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 pm

That walk cycle lol. The way he sways his head back and forth is really disturbing. The run was nicely animated too. I like how the kids clothing and hair moves in the wind. At first glance it seems like a simple animation, but at the same time it look like it probably took awhile to make with the backgrounds and facial expressions.

I really like the design of the werewolf/monster. The long thin fingers you gave him make it even more creepy. Do you get graded on these assignments? and if so what grade did this score you? I could see you being the top dawg in your class considering your past experience with pivot.

It's interesting how your style has changed so much during the course of your transition from pivot to more advanced programs. You've improved tremendously P2k.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby P2k » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks!

The cycles are both pretty complex, I put in a lot of small details that worked out pretty well. Although I couldn't quite get the walk to look like how I wanted it still turned out pretty creepy.

My grades on animation assignments are generally really good, better than my other classes for the most part. I'm definitely one of the better animators so far in my year obviously because of experience, I was put on a highlight reel for my weight lift and toss assignment. It'll be shown as an example for future years.

And yeah I've definitely improved a lot, it's crazy just how little I really knew about animation before doing all of this, and I haven't even really scratched the surface. You should see my teachers in action, they'll finish a demo in 10 minutes and it'll look better than everyone's assignments. It's astounding.
Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 pm

That's interesting to hear. I took a few animation courses in college and I had the same experience. We worked on 3 total projects and my teacher really loved the work I did on the first 2. She asked me if she could use them as examples for future students. I remember another animation teacher coming into class to talk to our teacher, and my teacher pointed at me and explained I was the one who made the animations. So apparently she showed my projects to other teachers (teachers I didn't even have before) and they complimented me. It's pretty cool knowing you made something that really impressed your teacher, especially to the point where she shows it to other professors.

I wish I had the ability to create a storyboard in 10 minutes, let alone an actual animation. I bet that they worked really hard to get that talented though, either that or they are just naturally gifted.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby P2k » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Oh that's awesome. Yeah my current animation teacher does work in progress checks every week on our assignments and he's always happy to see my stuff since I actually put in effort. Not everyone really gives it their all for this class since they're kind of uncomfortable with animation. Even though the degree is for animation. But yeah all of our teachers are industry veterans and currently work in the industry besides teaching. So the teachers I'm talking about have been professional animators for like 25 years+.

A year and a half from now we get to intern at an animation studio for a few months, a few spots are for disney/pixar so if my art/animation portfolio is strong enough by then I could get lucky.
Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm

A lot of the students in your class probably didn't realize the amount of effort that needs to be put into animation. I bet a lot of those students will change their major by the time that class is over. I know for the 2 animation courses I took, we started off with around 20 students and by the end of the semester there was around 8-10 students left.

I wish I was in your class though. I would enjoy seeing the animations your professors have made. I know my teachers had fun showing off their work and that was the best part of the class lol. I wish you the best in your courses though and knowing how talented you are, I have no doubt you will stand out during your intern. Just keep up the hard work!
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby P2k » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Yeah definitely, animation is hard work. No one is going to be changing their program though lol, it was hard as hell just to get accepted and you improve just as much as an artist as you do an animator. Most people won't be going in to character animation when they graduate anyway, mostly production/prop design, layout artists, other parts of the animation pipeline. Most of the teachers are working in TV or film right now, and a good chunk of them have stuff from Disney and other big names on their resume.

Anyway, been working on my next assignment. The point is to show changing expression. I have it mostly roughed out, except for that at the end there's going to be an interesting twist.

Should have it done by the end of next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmyNLJ ... e=youtu.be
Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Re: School - expression change rough

Postby tuna » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:54 pm

you've gotten really fucking good at this animation thing man thats like disney 9 old men level shit
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Re: School - expression change finished (sort of)

Postby P2k » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks for the exaggerated compliment lol

I added a bit more to it before handing it in. I didn't finish it as much as I would have liked, but I might clean it and create an ending at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHEe0O8AyIs
Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Postby Finom » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Damn, that's amazing! I love the way the baby changes :D
FinomOffline
im ded
VIP

Postby Juke » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:17 pm

The facial expressions were perfect man great job.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby socks » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 pm

you were always one of my favorite animators back in the day p2, glad to see you making such nice things man.
Also good luck on getting the internship.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Re: Finished my animation degree! -P2k

Postby P2k » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Spoiler:
P2kOffline
Active
Active

Re: Finished my animation degree! -P2k

Postby tuna » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 am

duuuude that was so cool! great job dude, im happy for you :)) i remember when you started that course. your final short was so sick too, and somehow still reminds me of your old pivot animations.

good luck with the next step my dude
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Freestyle