3ds max skateboarding game idea

Animations posted here won't be ranked or affect your skill level.

Moderator: Rank Team

3ds max skateboarding game idea

Postby wraybies » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 am

would really love to make a pc-centric skateboarding game someday so why not start now. heres some anims i made over the last month. tryna test out different size/weight skaters whos styles would vary, kinda like ssx+skate for pc

forgive the bad quality. all these are viewport renders since my graphics card is dying.

phpBB [video]
wraybiesOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Re: 3ds max skateboarding game idea

Postby Lord » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:19 am

These look very nice Wray. ;)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Juke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:21 am

The last few animations were definitely me my favorite. I really like it man it looks a lot like skate, even better than skate in some ways like some of the balance adjustments after the landing etc.
My ownly criticism would be the physics are slightly floaty, I think they should be a bit heavier. Also the pop on the board I think should be a little bit snappier it looks tweened a bit too much or something.
Overall everything looks cool as fuck great job.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby wraybies » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 am

tbh, a lot of the physics in skateboarding games have to be floaty from what i've come to notice in my study of them. it allows the person controlling the game a few extra crucial frames to control their character's position and movement. you'll notice in Tony Hawk Proving Ground, you ollie about head height, whereas in Skate 3 you only get to your belly button, however skate 3's ollie has more actual in-air hangtime. This is because, tony hawk is more centered on large jumps and gaps far beyond what would be realistic for any skateboarder, and it's control scheme and animations are timed to match. I think something to this same effect will help keep responsiveness and ease of control at a happy medium with how realistic the final actual skateboarding looks, to avoid things getting too ridiculously unrealistic. I see where you're coming from about the board-pop thing. I animate the animations at 30 FPS and usually alot for 3 frames between which the board goes from flat to tail-on-ground. In-game I want this to be dynamic depending upon how quickly the command for the trick is performed (think skate-ish controls but for mouse/keyboard). I will do some more experimenting with how quickly the board should pop and what looks best.

The main issue stopping this game's progress is my lack of programmer but perhaps once I get a new video card and do some more work on this I can put it on moddb or kickstarter or something
wraybiesOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Juke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:36 am

I didn't take gameplay into account actually, I was just solely focusing on the animation itself. You hold a very valid point in that you want there to be enough time for the player to actually control his character, and with realistic physics it just wouldn't work.
Good luck with the rest of your project it is looking really promising.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby socks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:37 pm

I think you should keep the cell shaded style throughout, and take more inspiration from games such as Jet Set Radio, and Skate, instead of SSX.
Don't get me wrong i love SSX but, i feel like it would be better to take inspiration from Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future, a bit more. I'm honestly very interested in this project man, keep us posted. Oh, and you should make it less floaty. Because floaty is fine, but in terms of how it looks and how it feels when you play the games it could drastically ruin the flow of combos and such. But if you do it right you will have something truly spectacular. Also, Level design is what separates good games from these genres from bad games from these genres. The level should be both visually appealing and mechanically appealing to your audience. When I was in contact with one of the guys from Skate, he told me about all the redo's to certain areas to make them just right for endless possibilities and terrain matching.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby wraybies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 pm

my issue is a lack of programmer. I want to figure out good ways to generate hype for this project and find competent programmers and other artists to work on it with me, and possibly some sort of a budget to develop it.
wraybiesOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby socks » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:31 pm

wraybies wrote:my issue is a lack of programmer. I want to figure out good ways to generate hype for this project and find competent programmers and other artists to work on it with me, and possibly some sort of a budget to develop it.

I mean, i could kinda help with the map design later on in the year if you get started up.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Return to Freestyle