Eco Meets a Syffit

Animations posted here won't be ranked or affect your skill level.

Moderator: Rank Team

Eco Meets a Syffit

Postby Gifgiff » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:09 am

Check it out -- I made something that isn't just stick figures on a white background for once!

An interaction between two things! Eco is on the left, and the syffit is on the right.

phpBB [video]

All the stuff you see was made in Blender, and all the stuff you hear was made with LMMS or recorded in the swamp in my front yard. I don't know much about making music. Sorry about that.

This animation has been kicking around in my hard drive for ages, and I finally decided that the only way I'd ever stop fiddling with it was to just stick it on YouTube. Every once in a while I'd add something or other to it, let it sit for half a year, do something else to it, let it sit for another few months, etc. It involved very little planning and a lot of experimentation, so it's a bit of a mess, but it was a fun way to get acquainted with Blender!

I made everything in it except Eco, who's the protagonist of S-DIADA, a game project in development by my friend Aiden. He got me involved with the animation side of it many years ago, and although the project exists mostly as a large heap of text files, we're still at it after all this time. This started as a simple test of an early version of Eco's armature in Blender, and grew from there over the course of way too many years. If you're curious, you can read a bit about the game on the (slightly outdated) wiki here: http://wiki.gameblender.org/index.php?title=SDIADA
GifgiffOffline
Active
Active

Re: Eco Meets a Syffit

Postby Euclid » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 am

The weird aesthetic the swamp gives plus the spot on movements is just pure awesome. I love it. The characters also look cute imo.

HOLY SHIT IT'S GIFFGIFF
Click the Pic for TDD thread. (Credits to Sifter for making my profile, RB, and Sig.)

"Animate to entertain others, lad. That's the point of animation. Some are too blind to see it though
Being big-headed and sucking balls don't go well in pair."
-Flame
EuclidOffline
#NextComboKing2019
#NextComboKing2019

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:06 am

Wow, it's Giffgiff!
That was pretty cute and really well-animated! I particularly liked when the Syffit clicked its heels.
MAKE A PIVOT ANIMATION
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Michi » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:08 am

Not much needs to be said, that was a fantastic piece of work, GifGiff.
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby Gifgiff » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks for the nice comments! I'm just glad to be finished with the darn thing =P

Jack wrote:MAKE A PIVOT ANIMATION

Ok. Just give me... an indeterminate amount of time! In the meanwhile, this guy will try to explain how Blender works through interpretive dance:
(Really though, Blender is a blast to use once you get used to it. I highly recommend playing around with it!)
GifgiffOffline
Active
Active

Postby Gary » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:40 pm

That was really cool man, would love to see more Blender stuff from you

make a super cool new pivot animation too
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Cressel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:11 pm

I really really like the movements, great work on it. The way they moves looks pretty natural, I'm really impressed.
It's good to see you around Gifgiff, have you done anything else in blender?
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby Gifgiff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Kratzle wrote:I really really like the movements, great work on it. The way they moves looks pretty natural, I'm really impressed.
It's good to see you around Gifgiff, have you done anything else in blender?
I'm always happy to see this place is still standing, too! Nah, the vast majority of the things I've made are either embarrassingly bad or purely experimental. But I'll certainly do more with it in the future, hopefully at a faster pace!

Here are a couple of models I've been working on:

This is supposed to be a stoat. I still need to make a proper texture for it and work out some kinks with the armature to make it more animate-able.
ImageImage

This is a.. duck-billed dragon? Something like that! The coloring was a bit of an accident, but it makes for an interesting effect. The model's material has a property called subsurface scattering applied to it, which is meant to simulate the way light diffuses and bounces around inside translucent stuff like skin, but if you muck with the settings enough, it ends up looking like some kind of glitchy crystal. I'd love to find a way to achieve a similar effect in a less improvised manner, though, since it only looks good from some angles this way.
GifgiffOffline
Active
Active

Postby Juke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm

These models looks really neat man.
Also I loved the animation, really smooth and I don't really think I saw one flaw at all. Great work.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Blademaster » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:18 am

Nice job man. I've been learning maya recently and it's quite amazing how well you animated these movements.
Looking forward to see more. I may also upload some of the stuff I made for school.
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Return to Freestyle