DDC13 - Out Now!

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Do you agree with programs other than Pivot being used?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes : 94

Re: DDC13 - Out Now!

Postby Jojishi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:41 am

Ray wrote:Well done! I really liked this one. The theme was nice as well.

Is there gonna be another "side b" video?

I'm glad you liked the theme, since I had quite a bit of trouble with coming up with one, believe it or not haha.

I want to make a B-Side, but it's been a challenge so far... I can focus purely on it now though, since the main collab's done. I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next week or two. I know you guys are eager to release your entries, so I'll try to get it done relatively quick.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Llama » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:27 am

This was so dope, totally worth the wait.

- Ussay's entry was super cool, it almost didn't look like Pivot due to it being so crisp and clean. It carried itself through stellar movement and didn't rely too heavily on eye-candy effects, but when it did use them they were flippin awesome.

- Paperv and Wraybies was pleasing to the eye and really good. While it probably wasn't the most original idea ever it was awesome nonetheless since the movement was constantly dynamic and flowed well, very cool to look back and focus on each individual character and their moves.

- Flame, Giffgiff, and Tuna knocked it out of the park with Frolic. The personality instilled into every character was charming and funny, each character was so unique with their own movements and style, it was just a bundle of wholesome cute fun.

- You could have left out Gary's name on his animation and I probably would've guessed it was him anyway, his style is just so unique and provocative it's hard to miss when he's on the canvas. Pretty funny and following the ol' classic formula of one-man-army fighting a bunch of dudes with throwbacks to other tropes (lol at the conveniently open window), great entry overall.

- Math's was so dope. Packed to the brim with dynamic action and interesting ideas and concepts. Lots of different angles and types of movement made the animation feel so alive even if some of the sticks weren't very detailed; they didn't have to be, the animation completely made up for it.

- Tops620, what else can I say besides hot damn. This is exactly what I envision when I try and inevitably fail to make a fighting animation. Non-stop action with clean movements that flow very well together, pretty standard but really nice quality.

- Holy shit, AlpK is a fuckin beast. Never in my life would I expect a fuckin dinosaur animation made in Pivot to get me hard but holy shit that blew me away. The dinosaurs were animated beautifully and were vibrant and full of life, perhaps a bit flashy and with more flourish than reality, but that doesn't matter. So many different angles and set pieces that really lent to the tense feel of the animation, the story was unique and exciting, and it was just like a nonstop eyegasm bukkake. Mad props to AlpK, awesome job dude.

Everyone did so well this year, can't believe I got lazy and gave up the chance to be a part of this awesome collab. Maybe next time :^)
LlamaOffline
but why though
VIP

Postby Michi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:24 am

Outstanding work, everyone! That was really enjoyable to watch and i'm really happy to have our entry included in the collab (even though it got sped up for some reason, the version with fixed framerate is in my thread). AlpK's entry was incredibly impressive, as was everyone else's.
Again, fantastic work and thanks Jojishi for flashing it so quickly and for once not using The Prodigy songs as music in the collab lmao
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:41 am

Shits good guys. Except Tuna/GiffGiff/Flame's was sped up. So we don't get to see all of it in its glory... :/

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby AlpK » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:15 am

My goodness. That was something to remember. I've commented on the video, but I'll say it here as well. Brilliant, just brilliant. The one that struck my attention the most was the Flame/Giffgiff/Tuna collab. Now that is what I call a fucking animation. So much CHARACTER and meaning, it just struck my heart. That's not to undermine the others which were just really stunning visually. And gotta love the conveniently open window lmfao. Might be worth mentioning I fangasmed when the dude joined the two lightsabers in Tops' entry. Outstanding work from everyone. Thank you for letting me be a part of this. Props to Jojishi for doing this too, sounding was quite something

bless you all (heart
AlpKOffline
Active
Active

Postby tuna » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:31 am

another great collab from TDD! all the entries were really sick, i really loved Tops' entry which was just eyecandy movements hahah. alpk your ambition in your entry was awesome, and it worked great. i loved all of them tbh. its a shame that our entry is so fast though, its supposed to be at 15fps but in the DDC13 it looks more like 20-22. its v hard to tell whats happening in our entry when it's at such a fast speed. joji do you reckon you could link to a gif of the 15fps edition in the description?

overall great work again guys
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Lolzafish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:59 am

Congratulations to all, amazing showcase.
LolzafishOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby AlpK » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:16 am

Tuna wrote:another great collab from TDD! all the entries were really sick, i really loved Tops' entry which was just eyecandy movements hahah. alpk your ambition in your entry was awesome, and it worked great. i loved all of them tbh. its a shame that our entry is so fast though, its supposed to be at 15fps but in the DDC13 it looks more like 20-22. its v hard to tell whats happening in our entry when it's at such a fast speed. joji do you reckon you could link to a gif of the 15fps edition in the description?

overall great work again guys

yeah, it's a shame it turned out a bit fast, I checked the original version too, it's still a masterpiece even in the video. I loved it.
AlpKOffline
Active
Active

Postby Daniël » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am

Never heard of Alp K before, but this man saved the collab. It was all pretty disappointing with exception of GifGiff's animation, although Tops' was pretty cool. Those dinosaurs were amazing though, great job!
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Vito » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:03 am

Oh wow, my entry got in I thought it wouldn't because I submitted it with the wrong resolution xd. But thanks Jojishi, appreciate it man! The fps is kinda faster in this one, but still it's a great collab, everyone did a great job! I hope there's another one.
. (scared .
VitoOffline
VIP

Postby Math » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:31 am

WOOOSH, Nice work y'all!

Flame, Giffgiff and Tuna really nailed the character's expressions tbh, i really liked it.

Llama wrote: - You could have left out Gary's name on his animation and I probably would've guessed it was him anyway, his style is just so unique and provocative it's hard to miss when he's on the canvas. Pretty funny and following the ol' classic formula of one-man-army fighting a bunch of dudes with throwbacks to other tropes (lol at the conveniently open window), great entry overall.

Dude i thought the fucking same.

Tops620, your ability with sword fighting animations impress me.

AlpK knows he's a beast. Overall good job to everyone who participated in this, including Jojishi aswell!
Obsessed for Emma Stone.
MathOffline
Legendary
Legendary

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Jojishi wrote:

I'm glad you liked the theme, since I had quite a bit of trouble with coming up with one, believe it or not haha.

I want to make a B-Side, but it's been a challenge so far... I can focus purely on it now though, since the main collab's done. I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next week or two. I know you guys are eager to release your entries, so I'll try to get it done relatively quick.

Well since there are only four of us who werent in the collab, should there even be a side B? I'd be okay with just sharing the animation I made. The video would be super short.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Krustalien » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:23 pm

I loved the Flame/Gifgiff/Tuna joint. Absolute masterclass. The bird was SO fantastic - I had to watch several times to catch all of the expressions! Never heard of Tops, but that was very slick; a simple fight on the surface but very good timing and attention to detail. And AlpK managed to do something completely new and breathtaking in 2017, which is incredible. It reminded me of the insane levels of detail we used to see in ~2009 from Cwoke and Ipwnall, etc.

Considering how long this community has been going and the hard times it has faced, it's really cool to see folks still this motivated.

Fucking nostalgia man. Even the music is so DDC-like!
KrustalienOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby TθPS » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks guys, i'm really sorry that i didn't put my best into it since it could've been added with more stuff like backgrounds, effects, angle and all that, but im really glad that you guys liked it(honestly i thought my entry would became the worst entry).
Great job for everyone, sorry for those who didn't get into the collab or even finish it.
For me, the best entry was AlpK's, it was pure art, i really love the background,style and colors, its really beautiful, I'm really suprised how he was able to create alot of angles with such figures and models(gotta love the simple detail).
Followed by the huge joint, which is pretty awesome and cute animation. With it simplistic style, they managed to create and show amazing emotions through it.
However, i'm kind of disappointed that nobody continues the classic Liquidsword vs Bert entry lol, i hope somebody animate it for the B-side.
Hopefully, everybody would get better and better until the next DDC(if there is)
TθPSOffline
­Tthetaops
­Tthetaops

Postby Jojishi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Ray wrote:
Jojishi wrote:

Well since there are only four of us who werent in the collab, should there even be a side B? I'd be okay with just sharing the animation I made. The video would be super short.

Length is the main reason it's difficult to make a B-Side this time, since I only have 2 mins of animations. To be honest, I only said what I did earlier because I felt guilty not giving you guys a collab, but it just isn't working out.

I'm sorry there won't be a B-Side this time. Anyone that didn't get accepted into the DDC13 can release their entries as well now.

Also, my apologies to Flame, Gifgiff and Tuna about the joint's frame rate. I increased it to 18 fps since that's what I'm used to doing. I'll put a link to the fixed fps version in the video description, since that's the least I can do. So don't worry about that guys. If it's any consolation, an increase to 18 fps isn't that much so the joint still looks awesome (even if a bit faster than intended).

I'm happy that this collab's been such a success. Also great to see some activity here again.
JojishiOffline
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements