I made a lyric video (with some animated segments)

Post your media interests here.

I made a lyric video (with some animated segments)

Postby OblivionFall » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been friends with DAGames for a little over two years, but this is the first time I've officially worked on something with them before. It's only been out for a few days but it seems to be doing pretty well. I'm posting it here in the media section because it's on another channel than my own.

phpBB [video]

Behind the scenes info is in the SPOILER.
Spoiler:
The majority of this lyric video was made in Flash. Every prop, from the doors, the portraits, and staircases are all vectors. Even the background wall is vectored, using only a black and white image as a filter to give it some texture.

Of course, I did use After Effects to spruce it up. I exported the layers (text, props, doors, and backgrounds) separately as image sequences, and added some basic effects like drop shadows, stroke, and ambient wiggling motion to make it feel more dynamic (I also used After Effects to add in the game footage at this stage).

This I accomplished all without a graphics card, which meant I was unable to preview the video during the editing stages (not without lagging my computer to death, anyway). I had no idea if the final product would look good until after I rendered it, but it turned out pretty well!

I will admit that the animated segment is severely lacking, mostly due to the over-abundance of tweens. I was on a tight schedule, though. I started this segment only four days before the deadline, and that includes the time I spent creating the rigs. Considering that, I'd still call it a success, just not anything noteworthy of accomplishment.
Any feedback is appreciate. I still regard DarkDemon as one of the best places for constructive criticism, even if I only visit once or twice a year.
OblivionFallOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: I made a lyric video (with some animated segments)

Postby SIFTER » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Loved it. There's not much else to say.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby elixir » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:22 pm

really nice animation and song to go with!
elixirOffline
VIP

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:39 am

Wooah when was the last time Obliv posted something on DD. But you came here for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM AND WE SHALL SUPPLY.
Well from someone who knows no context of the game, it seems to be a scary game(?) But also gives off a playful comedic cartoony feel. I wouldn't say those two themes mix good together. But the whole visuals seem to be kinda flat to be honest, door to door, not much interesting things to look at. Take a look at Jojo's Bizzare Adventure's opening that did something similar to what you did, it has lots of similarities actually. The comedic, cartoony feel, but also scary, the mansion, the doors/paintings on the side of the steps... etc. For that opening theres so much to look at, and it's really dynamic. Of course, doing a kind of music video like that opening would take soo much time to make. And your's is still pretty impressive as a technical standpoint. But Jojo's bizzare adventure takes it to a whole new level.

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby OblivionFall » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 pm

ZucchiniJuice wrote:The whole visuals seem to be kinda flat to be honest, door to door, not much interesting things to look at. Take a look at Jojo's Bizzare Adventure's opening that did something similar to what you did, it has lots of similarities actually. The comedic, cartoony feel, but also scary, the mansion, the doors/paintings on the side of the steps... etc. For that opening theres so much to look at, and it's really dynamic.

Thanks for the feedback, dude :)

Yeah, I'll admit it is rather flat overall. If I had more time to work on it I might have done more, but who knows? The JoJo opening you shared seems to have been done almost entirely with 3D models (with some 2D lines drawn over top for effects) so of course there would have been more room for dynamic camera motion there (Though personally I'm not a fan of JoJo's style due to how messy / cluttered each frame is with so many lines and different colors clashing together).
OblivionFallOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Daniël » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 pm

The song didn't interest me that much, but you did a very good job on the animation. You must be very proud having a video that's already been watched over a million times.

Good job man, you're doing well for yourself.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby OblivionFall » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:45 am

Daniël wrote:The song didn't interest me that much, but you did a very good job on the animation. You must be very proud having a video that's already been watched over a million times.

Good job man, you're doing well for yourself.

Thanks! And yeah, I don't think anything I've worked on has reached a million views in such a short space of time, besides maybe A Colt Classic, though knowing DAGames track record this lyric video could surpass that within a few months.
OblivionFallOffline
Regular
Regular

Return to Media