Ray's Art: Ben #2

Drawn art, concept, photography.

Re: Ray's Art: Logan

Postby Blademaster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 am

Hey, that's not too bad. I can see logan in this one. You kept it quite clean. Maybe you could get a little more into details, adding more wrinkels (idk if spelled right).
References help out a lot. You just gotta take your time.

You're making progress tho. Keep that up.^^
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Re: Ray's Art: Alisha

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks Blademaster. I made another for my friend and I got a couple more requests so I'll be updating this occasionally.

Alisha
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Re: Ray's Art: Alisha

Postby Blademaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 pm

duh. well i like that it is clean.

But r.i.p. proportions. Might use some guidelines here.
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Re: Ray's Art: Tony and Ali

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks again man. I made another and used a pose reference for this one. The proportions are still a little off though. This drawing thing is hard...

Tony and Ali
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Daniël » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

You should try sketching more. All your drawings seem to have some pretty hard lines, this gives you very little space for correcting and adjusting. If you sketch your drawings more it allows you to adjust proportions on the spot.

Softer lines are also better for creating little wrinkles without having them stand out too much. I'd recommend you'd use a softer pencil like a 2B.

Anyway, keep it up. Don't stop until DD knows everyone you hang out with.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Outdated » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Daniël wrote:
Softer lines are also better for creating little wrinkles without having them stand out too much. I'd recommend you'd use a softer pencil like a 2B

You'd actually use an H pencil to get lighter lines. (H pencils)Harder = lighter / (B pencils)softer = darker when it comes to pencils.

The drawings are pretty good, it looks like you are drawing symbols of what you are seeing rather than drawing what you are actually seeing though. I don't know if you're drawing from life or memory though. If you're drawing from life try and capture what you're actually seeing rather than simplifying it into something you think resembles what you're seeing. I don't know it's hard to give advice when it comes to drawing, for all I know this could be a look that you're intentionally going for. Anyways, the best thing you can do is to just keep drawing man, keep it up.
Firecracker wrote:Remember, movements aren't everything, creativity is just as important.

a.k.a. talkingcd

maybe I am
OutdatedOffline
Bot
VIP

Re: Ray's Art: Rachael

Postby Raymond » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:01 pm

I appreciate all the advice guys. I generally use a mechanic pencil, but sometimes I'll use a 4B drawing pencil. Here's a new one.

Rachael
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Re: Ray's Art: Vishal

Postby Raymond » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:06 pm

I really like the way this one turned out.

Vishal
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Intriguing question, do you just ask these people to strike a pose and you'll just draw them on spot or...?

Anyways, some details on the face you should skip on drawing lines with.

like sme portions of the lip, areas of eyes, etc. Also, you can thicken/darken lines on areas where things overlap, places that would be covered in shadow, etc. (Basically go ahead and make it somewhat stylized. Cuz linework can never be 100% accurrate. blah blah yeah.) But keep up the good work ray-my-boy. I see you are getting better and better.

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Raymond » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:43 pm

ZucchiniJuice wrote:Intriguing question, do you just ask these people to strike a pose and you'll just draw them on spot or...?

Anyways, some details on the face you should skip on drawing lines with.

like sme portions of the lip, areas of eyes, etc. Also, you can thicken/darken lines on areas where things overlap, places that would be covered in shadow, etc. (Basically go ahead and make it somewhat stylized. Cuz linework can never be 100% accurrate. blah blah yeah.) But keep up the good work ray-my-boy. I see you are getting better and better.

I made a few completely by memory, generally the people I know better and see more often. Most of the people I haven't seen in awhile I'll need a reference for. But I still don't like to just pick out a photo and copy it. That doesn't feel authentic to me and seems like a cheap way of making a sketch for someone who asked. So I scan their photos till I find one with their head at an angle I like. Then I'll look up a pose reference and add some clothing, wrinkles, and shading to it.

With this one I used a reference image for his head and then found another image of him with his hands in his pockets and since he wanted a suit and tie, I added that in.

Thank you for the advice btw. I find it difficult to skip corners when making a sketch of someone. I know what you mean by adding some style to their face, like instead of showing the entire bridge of the nose, just add the nostrils and show some shading to represent the curvature. But I think those things are more suited for when you're creating your own character renditions. It's harder to make an image resemble a specific person when you stylize it. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'm sure it probably looks better if done right, but this is the current style I've developed over time. I suppose I can use more shading on the face instead of solid lines, maybe that's something I'll work on.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Fuel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Raymond wrote:I really like the way this one turned out.

Vishal

This looks great Raymond, one of my favorites. (thumbsup
Shadowlith 2: 5820 frames (complete)

Youtube Channel(StickComex) I Animation Thread!
FuelOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Blademaster » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Raymond wrote:I really like the way this one turned out.

Vishal

dude, that's improvement right there. how long did you spend on it ?

I like the folds and the cheesy smile of him.
Shading is spot on, a way to go buddy.
(thumbsup
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Blademaster wrote:dude, that's improvement right there. how long did you spend on it ?

I like the folds and the cheesy smile of him.
Shading is spot on, a way to go buddy.
(thumbsup

I worked on it over the course of about 4 hours, but I was taking calls at work during those 4 hours, and while in a call I would stop working on it completely. If I had worked on it straight through without stopping, probably about 90 minutes. Still a pretty long time.

I've also took peoples advice and started using lighter lines, so when I fix mistakes the erased lines aren't as noticeable. It looks much cleaner, but I've noticed it takes more time this way. When I first started making these, it took me about 20-30 minutes to make a sketch, but this one took me about 90 minutes. I've been spotting more mistakes as I draw and it's getting harder for me to ignore them and move on, so I think that's why it's taking longer. I'm making more adjustments then usual, but I guess that's just natural as you get better.

Thanks for the encouragement man, and same to you Fuel, I'm glad you like it!
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby XElite109 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 pm

yo but its getting better. Your softening the lines more which is good and the proportions and angles are looking good. the face still needs work but getting better. the mouth generally should not be outlined like that but instead shown through value and line weight or the thickness of that line.
when at rest the mouth will protrude but when stretched the line would be less prominent. the lines on the nose should be treated in the same manner where the flesh toward the bridge should have the least line work cause of how it wraps around the face and the most toward the bottom
XElite109Offline
VIP
VIP

Re: Ray's Art: Jen

Postby Raymond » Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Jen
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork / Photography