DD Memories

Have a natter here with other users!

DD Memories

Postby Silo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Wonder who has been here for awhile? or the old DD

I am now 25.. but I remember being in like, grade 9? (I think), and hanging out a lot on DarkDemon,
I remember the old founder of the website, I think lived in England, and he had a webcam live streaming out his front window, and watching
it for hours while animating..

Anywho - just wondering it this place is still active and has users?

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: DD Memories

Postby Silo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Found my old account on the old Darkdemon website - still unsure what ever happened to it, or which one is more active to this day.. I had 1,811 posts, joined Sep 2006.. I feel nostalgic !!

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:21 pm

I've only been using pivot since 2011. But I joined DD in 2013... I think. I wish I could've been older or at least a bit more mature then. I was just the common wannabe noob. I still am tbh. But I saw that ppl always had a lot of fun back then. I really hope that activity somehow goes back to where it used to be.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Phewz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:59 am

damn it feels weird to think about how i found this site almost ten years ago
i remember spending all of my time here from 2008 to like 2011 when all i really did with my free time was just fuck around with pivot

simpler days...
^ art thread, updated 18/01 ^
fasbook page | picfarto | dumblr | twatter
PhewzOffline
ヽ(’ ▽’ )ノ
Retired

Postby Silo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 am

Yeah..

I don't remember many of the old names from when I used to animate..
I remember Frozenfire - who was an elite animator, me and him would chat in Skype..

Was a large community! reading my old posts is a little cringe though

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 am

I was young as fuck when I first discovered this site. I was 9 when I first found these awesome stick figure animations on YouTube. I don't remember how I ended up finding this place, but I didn't even end up joining immediately because I tried using flash first. After being on Fluidanims for a year or two I ended up joining DD. I wasn't around to really be with any of the true oldies, but I do remember when people like kellawgs, marvilicious, and domination were still active
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Extra » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:51 am

Was planning on going back in time, searching through my old posts to remember certain things.
But, I forgot this.

My first memory was me posting some pretty smooth and sick combo that everyone bragged about.
Then I went pretty silent for a while.
I was in awe at how much people enjoyed it, lmao
ExtraOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby Josh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Joining under the name 'Demonchild' in September 2009. Becoming active in 2011, spamming people's threads with shitty feedback to try and get comments on mine. Slightly more recently (probably 2014 or 2015), when NicePants got banned and the VIP chat got the most activity it's ever gotten. And of course Artangle and the like.

Crazy to think that I've been here for so long. I wouldn't be the person I am today had I never been here. Cheers lads. (thumbsup
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Lord » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Signed up March 2013 I believe. I was a lurker for a few years before that though - a shy kid really. I was turned off by the incesent swearing from some of the people here. XD
I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing but I remember Pivot having such a higher status back when I was a lurker. I remember it being really active and purposeful. Maybe it still is to some people, as I said - age.

I've said some dumb-ass things over the years here though. Hopefully nobody has quotes of any of it. XD
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 pm

'Goodbye DD' collab ftw.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Sæglópur » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am

The old, orange portal was truly a sight to behold. Bert and Liquid will forever be the best. Toastmaster, ItsAlmostSurreal, Silent Avenger, the real Silo. The accumulated wealth of experience and knowledge that the long gone members of this community had, the bombastic personalities and community they forged. This is but a shadow. And so am I.
Last edited by Sæglópur on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
'All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptable.'
- Frank Herbert
SæglópurOffline

Postby Sharpshooter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I joined back in 2007 I think right after the portal got shut down right around DDC5 or so. I remember there was probably a post per second back then and the forums were crazy with activity. The elite section was like 4-5 pages long too. I'm hoping this place can become more active and get the younger kids introduced to pivot and animation.
SharpshooterOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Krustalien » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Josh wrote:Joining under the name 'Demonchild' in September 2009. Becoming active in 2011, spamming people's threads with shitty feedback to try and get comments on mine. Slightly more recently (probably 2014 or 2015), when NicePants got banned and the VIP chat got the most activity it's ever gotten. And of course Artangle and the like.

Crazy to think that I've been here for so long. I wouldn't be the person I am today had I never been here. Cheers lads. (thumbsup

Yo. Nice Artangle shoutout. Hu dis? I don't know if I remember a Josh?

Also hai Sharpshooter. :D

DD shaped my early teen years, without doubt. I joined in October 2008, having made YouTube videos (PivotMasterDX ripoffs, etc) for a few months prior, and making "animations" using paint.net before that. I was 11-12. I stuck with the YouTube scene until it died after some mass hacking of popular accounts, and for some time after (2010 or so) as I had a reasonable following. I think I had 2,400 subs, which was a lot in 2009.

Meanwhile I got much more serious with Pivot and started climbing the ranks on DD, socially and literally. I became Forum Helper and eventually Mod, reached Veteran, and accidentally "defined" the bouncy-style around 2010-11. I worked with emotion and character a lot. It was fun as fuck and people loved it. I think if I'm remembered for anything it's that stuff, which amazingly is largely still hosted.

I think I was an Admin when shit hit the fan with the various owner changers. It may have been Chim who promoted me when he stepped in briefly. It eventually got so bad (as animator.net was born) that almost exactly 5 years after joining DD, I created Artangle.net in an attempt to save the DD community. It was pretty good for a while. We had legit file hosting and some amazing artists sharing work. However eventually I lost interest in being "leader" (turns out keeping a hundred 16 year olds happy gets old fast lol), and it was dead within a year. It had 15,000 total posts or something. By this point there was a much more direct Darkdemon spinoff in the form of TDD, which survived and preserved the community. By late 2014 my interest in Pivot and the forum in general was gone, and I was deep in a very different hobby (robot building). I come here to reminisce and be a nuisance from time to time.

I had over 8,000 posts on old DD. It was my life for half a decade, and I'm not even a true oldfag. Adam probably has kids... Jon and Bert must be tickling 30. I still remember the energy around the whole Wu vs Bert rivalry. That was DD's bread and butter for so long. Good fucking times. :D
KrustalienOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Blademaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 am

I can't exactly remember when or why I joined. Probably because of the DDcollabs. They were like super inspiring to me. I've browsed youtube a lot aswell and met a lot of other beginners.

I probably got more active on DD when I met Tenks, Nico and Crunchy. Back then we were the cool german dudes. (I was probably really annoying, but that is what I thought back then.)
I met tons of people through DD, jesus...I remember talking to Jon, Alchemist, Skype, Taps, Razo, Goukakyou, Zae, NMH, Crono, WereZ, Picto, Lewk, and idk, this list might get really long.
I miss all these cool fags.

The most hilarous thing was the argument with crono and skype who banned me for a year. But i just used a proxy server and went under the name roflcopter.
Skype thought I was such a nice person and they even asked me if I wanted to be rankteam hahaha

I really can't remember what exactly happend when the new TDD happend, after the old one got hacked. It's like I have some kind of empty 2-3 year gap of memories.
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Postby Euclid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 am

I joined DD on 2015 but I've already known it even before that. I didn't join because for some reason DD was intimidating to me back then and I couldn't commit to anything back then so yeah.
Click the Pic for TDD thread. (Credits to Sifter for making my profile, RB, and Sig.)

"Animate to entertain others, lad. That's the point of animation. Some are too blind to see it though
Being big-headed and sucking balls don't go well in pair."
-Flame
EuclidOffline
#NextComboKing2019
#NextComboKing2019

Next

Return to General Talk