Movies

Post your media interests here.

Movies

Postby Daniël » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

This is a thread for discussing movies of all sorts. Speak your mind of any movies you've recently or not so recently watched. Movies that were note-worthy, made an impact on you or are just worth sharing in general.

So grab your popcorn and speak your mind.

As for me, I watched Frozen today and I enjoyed it way more than I anticipated. It was one big emotional feel-good movie with beautiful settings and animation. There wasn't much over-all thread within the plot, but that didn't make my watching experience any less awesome. I watched it on recommendation of Jon and I now commend all of you to watch it too.

Gonna watch This is the End, a few friend of mine told me it was really funny, so I'm going to see whether they were right about that or not.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Re: Movies

Postby Lord » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 pm

This is the end is good,

I'm going to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tommorow. I heard great reviews about it so it should be good.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was awesome because of the emotion I could feel in Caesar.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Lord: I'm going to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tommorow. I heard great reviews about it so it should be good.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was awesome because of the emotion I could feel in Caesar.

That is an epic movie.
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby Stickid » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:33 pm

i watch too many movies, but these are some i enjoyed over the past couple weeks

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - surprisingly convincing and well executed, a solid sequel
Edge of Tomorrow - immensely entertaining, very fun movie
Starred Up - moody but gripping prison drama
Enemy - one of my new favorites, great psychological thriller
Locke - very personal and strangely engaging for the setting

Blue is the Warmest Color - mmm lesbians
Let Me In - bleak twist on romance and vampires
Monster - mindblowing performance by Charlize Theron
The Holy Mountain - total visionary masterpiece
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2 weeks ago, and that was a pretty good movie imo. Also, got halfway through watching American Beauty last night, and I'm gonna finish it today. love this movie so far.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Daniël » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Just watched This is the End and it was a pretty great movie, but didn't quite live up to the expectation after all of its hype. My guess is that I should have probably gotten high in advance, as that is also what I did before watching Frozen, but oh well, it was still very much worth watching.

Also realized again how hot I think Emma Watson is, so I downloaded The Perks of Being a Wallflower to watch later. I'm kind of hoping for a Garden State-esque experience, but we'll see.

As for Planet of the ApesI'll probably download all the prequels and marathon them with a bunch of friends, then I'm going to watch it's newest film in cinema. That's kind of what I did for Iron Man 3, as I hadn't seen any of those films before as well. (Though I have seen one Planet of the Apes before, but oh well.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Jojishi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 am

Daniel wrote:As for Planet of the ApesI'll probably download all the prequels and marathon them with a bunch of friends, then I'm going to watch it's newest film in cinema. That's kind of what I did for Iron Man 3, as I hadn't seen any of those films before as well. (Though I have seen one Planet of the Apes before, but oh well.

The only one that matters is Rise of the Planet of the Apes (the 2011 film). That's the one that started this reboot trilogy and it's amazingly well done. I'm surprised Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was better than it because the first one raised the bar real high. If you want to you can go ahead and watch the others though.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Lord » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am

I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yesterday and loved it!
It kept me in suspense the whole time!
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Daniël » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:01 am

Jojishi wrote:
Daniel wrote:As for Planet of the ApesI'll probably download all the prequels and marathon them with a bunch of friends, then I'm going to watch it's newest film in cinema. That's kind of what I did for Iron Man 3, as I hadn't seen any of those films before as well. (Though I have seen one Planet of the Apes before, but oh well.

The only one that matters is Rise of the Planet of the Apes (the 2011 film). That's the one that started this reboot trilogy and it's amazingly well done. I'm surprised Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was better than it because the first one raised the bar real high. If you want to you can go ahead and watch the others though.

Ah, I did not know that, I might just watch that one then.

Some movies I've watched since last time I posted here;
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Great film, supported by very fitting music and an overall great ambiance. The characters are all very intriguing separately and make a great over-all picture.
Inception
Hadn't seen it before for some reason, it was quite what I expected it to be. Wasn't quite as complicated though, as many have said that it was hard to follow, but I felt like the movie explained itself quite well if you just pay attention. Great combination of action and depth.
Brave
A really good film, but not as good as I anticipated. Besides the aesthetically pleasing visuals and scenes, the movie just didn't live up to my expectation. The whole plot felt very bottled and at the end of the movie I felt like not all that much happened. Furthermore were the characters very typical and none of them seemed abundantly well-developed or original. Though I must say, my standards for Pixar are quite high.
You will meet a tall, dark stranger
A movie that seems to try to be original, but wasn't all that enjoyable. It seemed very dated, with the exception of a brand new Audi that didn't really fit in. If it wasn't for that, I would have never guessed the movie's from 2010. All in all, would not recommend.
Moonrise Kingdom
A surprisingly unique love-story about two very young teens who go on an adventure together. When the movie started I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but once the actual story got into motion I couldn't help but really liking it. Great visuals, as you would expect from a Wes Anderson movie, that tie the whole film together. Definitely would watch again.
Last edited by Daniël on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Rashboo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 am

I just watched The Amazing Spiderman 2, thought it was crap from the trailer. turns out, it was good.

Dawn of the Planet of Apes was really good.
RashbooOffline
Hello
Hello

Postby Daniël » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I watched some more movies since last post. Also moved my edits from that post to this one, because edits look kinda ugly.

The Spectacular Now
A funny and emotional movie with a good message. It's not a movie with great action and it's not all that 'spectacular', but it's the kind of movie that makes you feel like you spent your time well afterwards.
The Matrix
Also one I only just watched for the first time. A good action movie that was actually better than I expected. Admittedly, I didn't expect very much of it. Wouldn't say it's as good as people make it out to be, but I feel like the second half of the movie was definitely an enjoyable experience. The way the movie leads you to that was less fabulous, but it was decent nonetheless.
The Descendants
An interesting movie that shows a very good performance by George Clooney whom's wife is dying in the movie. Not as emotional or deep as they seem to aim, but still a very decent movie. Also, Shailene Woodley got a lot hotter since The Spectacular Now (and she was pretty hot in that already).
Tangled
A pretty enjoyable movie that gives you the shot of Disney you sometimes are looking for. Not as good as Frozen, but still a really well-put together movie that left me with a happy feeling.
A Clockwork Orange
A movie that definitely pushes some social boundaries, especially considering the time it was released. However, I feel as if this movie has gotten a lot more credit than it actually deserves. There are undeniably some really well-constructed scenes that make the audience partake very much in the whole experience, but the plot is very lacking on itself and the movie's foundation is based around just showing a lot of grotesque, violence and sex. Which isn't to say that these aren't factors that can be enjoyed, but I felt as if the movie didn't have much besides that.
Hats off to Malcolm McDowell for his fantastic acting though.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Stickid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Daniel wrote:A Clockwork Orange
...plot is very lacking on itself and the movie's foundation is based around just showing a lot of grotesque, violence and sex. Which isn't to say that these aren't factors that can be enjoyed, but I felt as if the movie didn't have much besides that...

-10 respect points
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Daniël » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Stickid wrote:
Daniel wrote:A Clockwork Orange
...plot is very lacking on itself and the movie's foundation is based around just showing a lot of grotesque, violence and sex. Which isn't to say that these aren't factors that can be enjoyed, but I felt as if the movie didn't have much besides that...

-10 respect points

Sorry, mate. I meant none of that, c'mon please.

But for real, I kind of expected that reaction, especially from you, but that's just how I feel. I still liked the movie, just not as much as most people.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Stickid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

you meant none of what? huh?

it's all cool you don't have to like anything, but your ideas on the movie's foundation are pretty surface. A Clockwork Orange breaks down humanity, morality, society and ethics. to fix one monster we become worse monsters by destroying free will, what makes us human beings. the movie doesn't show sex and violence just for the sake of it, the movie addresses a real life moral standoff that permeates our everyday life

i want you to develop your own opinion, but there's a lot more to A Clockwork Orange than shock content
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby The Black Mamba » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm glad a 'Movies' thread was made, we have threads for almost everything else lol. I don't watch a lot of movies but the more I watch the more I'll post in this thread and try to give constructive insight to said movies.

Enemy
Honestly, the way my friend described the movie made me not want to watch but after watching it I really enjoyed it. He just said a twin brother comes and fucks his girl and his whole life up, and I thought it sounded stupid.
Spoiler:
Anyone who's watched the movie knows he wasn't a twin.
After watching I'd definitely recommend and so would Stickid judging off his setup lol. It was the challenge of trying to understand the deeper meaning of the movie that I enjoyed. Was one hell of a challenge for me cause I watched the movie high off my ass but I still grasped most off the movies' meaning.

Man of Steel
Fuckin cheesy, shitty, don't subject yourself to this movie if you haven't already. Killed 2014 movies for me, I have no hope. -10/10

The Amazing Spiderman
Restored my faith in new movies a little bit. Really enjoyed the detail in effects and how they retained the original story. The only thing I could complain about is the casting as the main actor (the one playing spiderman, forgot his name lol) didn't do the best job in portraying sincere emotion (i.e, his uncle dies in the previous scene but 2 scenes later he's happy and jumpin around as spiderman) though that could be the writer's fault in not describing the weight of the pain he was supposed to feel. There was also some cheese here and there, but there was also cheese in the original Spiderman movies and even the comic books probably. Was still a good movie overall though. About to watch The Amazing Spiderman 2 as I'm typing this.

I hate all the Step it Up movies.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Next

Return to Media