Marvel or DC?

Want a headache? Come here!

Marvel or DC?

Postby Eli2814 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 am

The debate of the century! Which is your favorite and why?
I go for DC, as OP as they make their characters, they consistently have the type of darkness and grit that I look for when I'm reading a comic (more than I find in Marvel anyway).
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Re: Marvel or DC?

Postby Caleb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:11 am

I don't like most DC comics. They're pulling everything way out of proportion, which to me makes it feel like that 4 year old kid that gets to design his own playable character for a game with friends, so he decides that he's the ultimate fighter with a force field and 400 flying daggers around him and he's invincible.

That said, I've never been big into Marvel either, but I'd choose them over DC any day.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Koolcid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:15 am

Moved this to the debate area (thumbsup
KoolcidOffline
Matorator
Matorator

Postby Lord » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Marvel, though I do like DC I just don't love 'em either. I liked Christoper Nolans' Batman but other than that I really don't like DC, Man of Steel was okay though, passed a couple of hours.
Marvel in my opinion just have more
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Nice Pants » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:37 pm

neither, comics are for children
Nice PantsOffline

Postby Caleb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Nice Pants wrote:neither, comics are for children

anime is for real adults
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Eli2814 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Caleb wrote:

anime is for real adults

Twilight is for real Men
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Postby Gage » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:33 pm

Eli2814 wrote:
Caleb wrote:

anime is for real adults

Twilight is for real Men

faggots

marvel all the way
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm

neither of them have spawn so no to both of them
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Eli2814 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 am

Gary wrote:neither of them have spawn so no to both of them

We can technically say Marvel for you, since his creator used to work for Marvel haha
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Postby Daniël » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:41 am

Marvel has better movies and no-one reads comic books anymore, so it's an easy win for me.

Yeah, I know Batman is cool, but no, it's not better than all the Marvel movies combined.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby SupaPig » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 pm

I would say Marvel, just because DC doesn't do much besides Batman :P
My Thread><><><><><><><My Profile

Animating:BBoDD V Entry:
Progress: 10/1000 Frames
SupaPigOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Jojishi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 am

Marvel for me since the characters are more relatable and flawed. DC has godlike characters that are perfect and less interesting, besides Batman of course.

Movie-wise, DC isn't looking so hot. I don't like that they're shoving in Aqua-man and Wonder Woman into Batman v Superman. It feels rushed like they're desperately trying to catch up to Marvel. The style of the movies is dark and gritty, except that also seems to mean washed out and dull in Man of Steel. Adding onto that, they try so hard for the movie to be serious constantly that it becomes a parody of itself. Serious moments, mixed with action, mixed with more serious moments, mixed with explosions, doesn't lend itself well to pacing. It comes off heavy handed and boring (just like the colour palette).

Maybe not the best image comparison, but you get the idea. Man of Steel was very grey looking.

The thing that made Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy so good was that he knew to balance it out. It was done well for a gritty and realistic take on Batman because it recognised that gritty and realistic didn't necessarily mean grey, washed out, always serious dialogue and lots of action. It knew to take breathers in places, keep a colourful palette, inject some light-hearted conversation and so on. Plus, Batman is a much more flawed character than Superman as well, so that probably helps keep him interesting. The key here is to have variety.

I like Marvel better because they've taken their time to introduce the characters (I'm looking at both Sony and Warner Bros here). With them they started the shared universe thing, and while other studios could have done it well without it feeling like a cash grab, it feels like a cash grab because they rushed into it. The Amazing Spider-Man is the perfect example, because that movie came out in 2012... So they would have worked on it before The Avengers came out. Then obviously, everyone saw what a success that was and Sony (the worst offender) managed to cram Oscorp, Electro, Green Goblin, Rhino and Sinister Six set up in the same film. The ending scene (which is a cliff hanger) with Rhino literally crammed into the last 5 minutes is a testament to the fact that:

1. The canvas is way overcrowded.
2. They obviously setting up a franchise of sequels, spin-offs and so on (which is okay, as long as you're not overly obvious about it with the cliff-hangers and all, which will piss people off).

Warner Bros has treated DC slightly the same way, although not as bad, it can't be excused. They're cramming in Wonder Woman and Aquaman when it's meant to be Batman v Superman. Batman and Superman should be the main points of focus, and I just can't see that happening if they're introducing other characters. There needs to be a clash of ideologies, not just some 10 minute superhero fight (while awesome) over some misunderstanding or whatever (not so awesome).

Marvel have taken their time, made movies which stand on their own (FYI, I watched The Avengers without seeing Captain America or Thor at the time and still understood it extremely well), have characters that feel human, light hearted stuff and even their movies don't all feel the same. Guardians of the Galaxy; a space opera. Thor; a film about mythology and so on. Captain America; ideology, war propaganda, different time period. Even the second Captain America feels entirely different from the first, due to the time period, setting and change of politics.

You wanted my honest opinion so there you have it. I still want to see what DC can do, but I'm not confident in Zack Snyder to be honest. I'll probably still watch Batman v Superman because I want to, but I'm not nearly as hyped as I am for Age of Ultron. I'm a huge Marvel fanboy. :)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Marvel is geared towards people who just want to see action/comedy and not really pay attention to
what is happening in terms of character or lore.

Marvel characters usually leave the impression of "wow he's so cool XDDD I'll watch his next movie just because I know he'll do something cool XD".
I feel like DC characters have more depth to them and leave you with questions that make you want to look into the mythology of that character.

Also what else does marvel really have? DC has the better video games, animated cartoons and TV series like Gotham and Arrow, Agents of Shield is a joke. Marvel is just movies.
TomOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Daniël » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 am

Tom wrote:Marvel characters usually leave the impression of "wow he's so cool XDDD I'll watch his next movie just because I know he'll do something cool XD".

I feel like DC isn't any different, honestly.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Next

Return to Debate Area