Programing Info Books and sites

Ask programming questions, get website feedback and more here.

Re: Programing Info Books and sites

Postby Josh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:58 am

DragonCheesecake wrote:Don't forget about Notpad++. One of my favourite programs for coding

Sublime Text is better imo.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Elliott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm

金剛デース! wrote:
Skype wrote:
金剛デース! wrote:A common misconception is that knowing html and css makes you good at Web design. It takes time and the study of many other principles.

You might just get away with running a site like this with 'base' knowledge. I found most of the skill came from experience.

technically you can get away with web design without knowing a scratch of html/css because its just the design aspect
im just talking about learning web development since that's the relevant topic at hand (although its not a programming language)

Wrong.

Web design is not literally just creating mockups in photoshop. That would be a graphic designer. It's using html/css(/javascript) to create websites. If you were to call yourself a web designer without knowing any coding language you would be laughed at.

The developer aspect insinuates they know server side code such as Ruby or PHP to add dynamic functionality, databases etc.

A developer can be a designer and a designer can be a developer. Both however rest on a fundamental knowledge of HTML and CSS.

Personally I've always split the difference at a web-designer being someone who designs content for web and a web developer being someone who implements it.

To throw my two-cents in - for programming I always found the Dummies series to have some great starting points for pretty much anything. Modelling and Reasoning about Systems is great for CS logic; and for websites I worship Don't make me Think.

EDIT//

Just realised you meant sites for programming and not books for sites...

StackOverflow for everything man.
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby Skype » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Minifrij wrote:
DragonCheesecake wrote:Don't forget about Notpad++. One of my favourite programs for coding

Was going to say this too. Notepad++ is fine for a lot of things but if you're serious, definitely get Sublime Text. Multiple cursors alone makes it fantastic, never mind the extensive list of plugins and keyboard shortcuts. I use it personally and at work.

Elliott wrote:
Personally I've always split the difference at a web-designer being someone who designs content for web and a web developer being someone who implements it.

Perhaps in layman's terms but a web designer can very much create his own websites. Typically a web designer would not know languages like PHP, only front end development (which is where the jargon can get confusing).
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Elliott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Oh Jon you know me - everything's in layman's terms! ;)
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby Skype » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 pm

And it's clients like you who make my life a living hell!
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Elliott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

You don't know pain until you've tried to convince an otherwise lovely Asian woman that Comic Sans and Papyrus is not the direction a restaurant menu should be heading in (cry
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby tenks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 pm

<marquee>Comic Sans is the best font choice any uprising business can take, wtf are you on about?</marquee>
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Axon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 pm

comic sans will be fashionable one day
AxonOffline
aye lmoa
aye lmoa

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:55 pm

@skype actually i was wrong about that, so i'll cede to you there

that doesnt change the fact that you can literally teach yourself html/css within a day fairly easily to make amateur websites

i'm sure if you want to be a professional web designer you have to have a strong background in design and know your way around seo and whatever but afaik this thread isnt for becoming a professional, in which case learning html/css from some shitty tutorial is good enough

and anyone who's interested enough can move on to books on design and w/e
Image naga
KevOffline
VIP

Postby Skype » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 pm

I never said that wasn't true, I said most of the skill comes from experience and doing a few tuts on the Web doesn't make you a 'Web Designer'.
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby tenks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Same way as writing a POST based login with passwords in cleartext, doesn't make you a programmer.

Anyone who's starting out fresh: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
For algorithms https://projecteuler.net/
For what the fuck is x how do i y : stackoverflow
Highly recommend this.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:23 am

Skype wrote:
Minifrij wrote:

Was going to say this too. Notepad++ is fine for a lot of things but if you're serious, definitely get Sublime Text. Multiple cursors alone makes it fantastic, never mind the extensive list of plugins and keyboard shortcuts. I use it personally and at work.

Elliott wrote:

Perhaps in layman's terms but a web designer can very much create his own websites. Typically a web designer would not know languages like PHP, only front end development (which is where the jargon can get confusing).

Never heard of Sublimetext until now, I already like the look more C:
Thanks doods!
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Xin » Sun May 18, 2014 11:35 am

I thought codingbat.com was pretty great, lots of good recursion exercices.

And when I code in java I always use eclipse, my university made all coding students use it, so I'm not sure if I like it, or it's an unbreakable habit at this point.

Unrelated note, creating a "cheating" hangman game with a trie implementation was gross and I never want to do it again.
XinOffline
Active
Active

Postby Gage » Sun May 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Xin wrote:I thought codingbat.com was pretty great, lots of good recursion exercices.

And when I code in java I always use eclipse, my university made all coding students use it, so I'm not sure if I like it, or it's an unbreakable habit at this point.

Unrelated note, creating a "cheating" hangman game with a trie implementation was gross and I never want to do it again.

I remember this site, I have been meaning to start using it sometime. I like it a lot more that w3schools because w3schools seems like those youtube tutorials where it's "I did everything for you, link to the file is in the description, subscribe"
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Inflatable Cat Feces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Why would you want to know c++ first, that would make a lot of people quit after they realize what lie ahead for them, they are better off learning python first because that is a very user friendly language for them to start at, and you can make some games via pygame.
EDIT: sorry for the bump whoops
Inflatable Cat FecesOffline
Active
Active

Previous

Return to Web Developing / Programming