Silo's Hotspot - Changing my Style- Flow Test - CNC ME PLZ

Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Silo's Hotspot - Changing my Style- Flow Test - CNC ME PLZ

Postby Silo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:00 am

SILO'S ANIMATIONS
Have not touched Pivot since 2008~, Lets see how this goes!

NEW ATTEMPT AT CHANGING STYLE
My Own Criticism: Testing some flow, I can definitely see a difference, it looks a little to fast though, not sure if I should lower frame rate from 21? Help me with CNC as I am new to this style (as you can see from previous animations)

WORK IN PROGRESS: Black Stick got power
Spoiler:

My Own Criticism: I love this, I am sure there are flaws, I watched some other animators movements and I tried to change my style slightly and make it a mix between my style and others, not easing my movements AS much as I normally do, turned out okay! I REALLY SUCK at reactions, sticks getting hit, sticks fighting sticks, so I still need to practice, so I will probably add onto this with more fighting so I can get some practice with it

Testing stuff:
Spoiler:

I like this, after the screen phases out and goes to the punching bag it gets a bit rougher, I don't like the last hit on the punching bag to much, where he double punches it, I feel like he was in the air for to long at that point.

Upside Down Kick test
Spoiler:

My Own Criticism: First kick looks flawless, It took a ton of editing to get the push off the ground (after the kick) and flip landing down to a reasonable level, still not happy with that part though.

Smoke Tests, Effects tests (Not Finished)
Spoiler:

My Own Criticism: The floor/grass gets messed up at the start, some movements still stiff but getting better! The fence scene looks a bit off to me, I really like the end scene when he hits the rocks, I miss using trails on sticks, may do this more often now.

Running with Flip Test - LOOP -
Spoiler:

My Own Criticism: I actually really like this, I think the tail was annoying and not done perfectly, and a few things were stiff, but overall the look I was going for was accomplished

Multiple Sticks - Ended it early
Spoiler:

My own Criticism: first time moving multiple sticks, I liked beginning punch, second guys back slam was not to bad, but the final kick I was not happy with, so I ended this animation early. This video was going to be only a run test animation, but I continued it to see how I could make the middle black stick a vocal point of being punched, meh.

Testing Smoothness
Spoiler:

My own Criticism: I liked the first punch, I need more Kick practice

First Animation back / Movement Test
Spoiler:

My own Criticism: I don't like the leg on the last kick, slightly stiff

First Fight Animation back / Test
Spoiler:

My own Criticism: Fast, not as smooth as I would like, Camera shaking could be better, The effects are okay but are there to hide movements I am not comfortable doing on pivot yet.
Last edited by Silo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: Silo's Hotspot

Postby Cressel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:46 pm

I really liked your work, as expected your style is appealing.

Multiple sticks
First of all I love the base, you don't see bases like that anymore. The run could be worked on a bit, it has a cartoonish feel that I like, but there's some shakiness on the arms. Most of the time you don't show so much shakiness, so try to always space correctly in the same direction unless the motion change is on purpose The first punch was spot on, but the reactions can be improved to show more power to the hits, it feels a bit weak. There are also frames where you stopped moving the black guys after they feel. i know it's easy to forget to move them so make sure you always double check everything that needed movement has it.

Testing Smoothness
This one is really good, the punch is nicely done. It could show more power but the point was to make it smooth so it's alright. But after that it went downhill. You stopped moving the arms and the body just shakes in the kick. The leg also slow downs while doing the kick before stretching, which really kills the power/speed the kick should of had. You want to keep your spacing and easing consistent, for a kick for example the spacing must be increasing until the kick is done, as slowing down in between the movement just kills the power.

Movement Test
This is really nicely done,the bounce really gives that weight on the fall, the punch is good but the kick just stops in midair. Try to keep your spacing consistent, on a kick like that more than easing out you should aim to make a curve like momentum for the stick and ease out when landing, this way the movement feels to have more power to it.

Fight Test
I feel this is your best work so far. the movements are smooth and not stiff, although you mentioned the effects are there to cover up movements you're not comfortable with it works nicely. Although I feel it is too flashy.
I can still spot some shakiness around and I would've liked to see some buildup before the last kick.

Really nice animations man. I look forward seeing more from you! (thumbsup
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Re: Silo's Hotspot

Postby Silo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Thank you so much!
When I animated back in the day, I was known for a fast style using Midget sticks,
and you mentioned it was my best work so far, so I may stick to the little sticks for a bit,

I just discovered Pivot 4 too, as pivot 2 was used more when I animated in the past!

Thanks so much for the tips though :)

-Silo

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: Silo's Hotspot - New Running Animation (LOOP)

Postby Silo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 am

New Animation, not finished yet,
was originally going to be just movement tests, but threw in a bit more

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: Silo's Hotspot - Test Animation

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 am

New Animation, posted some of it in the showoff spot..
I am not a fan of the last sequence of attacks on the punching bag, but other then that I can see a lot of improvement from my latest animation into this one for sure.

<3

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby Swaikha » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am

Do you apply effects while animating the movements, or do you go back and edit?
^click for animation thread^ :)
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:57 am

depends on the effects and what I am animating..
Generally it is easier to do them all the first time around.. but sometimes I decide I want to see what it would look like after the fact, which in that case I have to back track

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby The Specter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 am

Along with what you had already said I think that he was in air too long durning the kick on the bag, It looked kinda lazy when you re used the ground breaking kick, and then something about the way the sandbag like didnt react to the first couple of punches seemed a little weird, definitely your best animation good work.
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah I just really liked the look of the kick and wanted to test it in a chain on a target (in this case a punching bag)
Your right he was in the air to long, and I couldn't properly show it or even make it look like he could fly or something, but none the less I should have ended the chain after the punches probably, if not then definitely after the kick.
The punching bag did move, just not to a large extent as I wanted the punches to not be to strong, and to emphasize how heavy the punching bag was to the reaction of a punch in comparison to a kick, but I could have made it move a bit more to show more power for sure.

Yeah I think it is the best one I have animated yet, I wish I was more comfortable with some movements, and had more tools in my aresenal to utilize but that will come with time :)

-Silo

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby Swaikha » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 am

Silo wrote:depends on the effects and what I am animating..
Generally it is easier to do them all the first time around.. but sometimes I decide I want to see what it would look like after the fact, which in that case I have to back track

it makes it way easier for me to make more elaborate effects on figures that are already moving,
than make effects and sticks move in tandem at start, but that's just me.

I gotta say though, I like your heavy spacing style, not a lot of people can pull it off, but I think you're getting there.

The real challenge with the style is making sure your movements aren't stiff.
I'd say work on the little bit of stiffness and physics and you'll be great.
Your effects are pretty good, and so is your easing and foot placement.

Good job, keep animating :)
^click for animation thread^ :)
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah, adding tremors is extremely easy to do after the fact, but your right when a stick is in movement it is beneficial to do it at the time of animating it!

Yeah my style is extremely hard to manage stiffness, and sometimes you have to give up on making everything exceptionally smooth when doing it. But I will keep working on it :) <3

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: Silo's Hotspot - Beat up the Stick Animation -WIP

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30 pm

New animation in progress, need tips/CC on reactions to being hit, as it was always one of my weaknesses,
Want to add onto this with more fighting to get practice!

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Re: Silo's Hotspot - *NEW* Beat up the Stick Animation -WIP

Postby The Specter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:46 pm

I honestly didnt see much to anything wrong with this, nice work! If I were to be picky Id say his arms shook after the second punch when getting ready for the third.
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Silo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm

I was really looking forward to your input the most to be honest haha,
I remember clearly I feared making fighting animations because I just didn't know how to make the sticks react to being hit.
I still don't.. I basically made the stick a punching bag, I would like to be able to make a stick get hit and react and fight back soon..

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby The Specter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Haha thanks! Yeah animations that are mainly a combo thing dont really need an active second stick, If it were to be like a huge fight or something it would be boring to only watch one stick get the combos, however this is not the case. I thought you handled the reacting pretty well too..
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Next

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall