Nice Guys Finish Last?

Want a headache? Come here!

Nice Guys Finish Last?

Postby Alexis » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 am

I've had this question running through my thoughts for awhile.
to you guys,

is it the most annoying self-pity ever?

or something else?

i would like to know.
Don't Start.
AlexisOffline
pretty fuckin' dead
VIP

Re: Nice Guys Finish Last?

Postby Jack » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Honestly, self-pity is only annoying when said self-pity isn't deserved.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Axon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 pm

jumpman jumpman jumpman them boys up to something
AxonOffline
aye lmoa
aye lmoa

Postby Alexis » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:50 am

Jack wrote:Honestly, self-pity is only annoying when said self-pity isn't deserved.

You make a good point, it doesnt really make any sense that they give themselves that when they dont even need it.
Don't Start.
AlexisOffline
pretty fuckin' dead
VIP

Postby Sæglópur » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:45 am

UnusAngelusAlatum wrote:
Jack wrote:Honestly, self-pity is only annoying when said self-pity isn't deserved.

You make a good point, it doesnt really make any sense that they give themselves that when they dont even need it.

It's because we live in a society of under-developed man-children. The typical 'nice guy' is only nice because they assume their smiles and pleasantries will help them reach the goals they desire. A bit like a politician. They also tend to be... how to put it? Hollow. There's no depth to them - other than their overwhelming desire and egotistical self-pity.

I think it's probably a mixture of societal conditioning (Strong archetypes in media of the 'good guy' and 'bad guy') and upbringing ("You are my wonderful son who can do no wrong" etc.).

As to it being the most annoying self-pity; I think 99% of self-pity is pathetic. There's no point in sitting around whining about your inadequate life - just do something about it. Make a change. Especially those of us in first-world societies. There are very few limits outside of emotional ties. Cut people who you find toxic out of your life, because you'll probably find that you are toxic to them as well.
'All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptable.'
- Frank Herbert
SæglópurOffline

Postby Alexis » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:33 am

Sæglópur wrote:
UnusAngelusAlatum wrote:

It's because we live in a society of under-developed man-children. The typical 'nice guy' is only nice because they assume their smiles and pleasantries will help them reach the goals they desire. A bit like a politician. They also tend to be... how to put it? Hollow. There's no depth to them - other than their overwhelming desire and egotistical self-pity.

I think it's probably a mixture of societal conditioning (Strong archetypes in media of the 'good guy' and 'bad guy') and upbringing ("You are my wonderful son who can do no wrong" etc.).

As to it being the most annoying self-pity; I think 99% of self-pity is pathetic. There's no point in sitting around whining about your inadequate life - just do something about it. Make a change. Especially those of us in first-world societies. There are very few limits outside of emotional ties. Cut people who you find toxic out of your life, because you'll probably find that you are toxic to them as well.

I couldn't have said it better my friend.

gotta give mega kudos to the hollow statement.
Don't Start.
AlexisOffline
pretty fuckin' dead
VIP

Postby Jon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 am

Sæglópur wrote:
UnusAngelusAlatum wrote:

This is so fucking true. You can't just be kind through words, especially text. You have to be kind in action, and generous, honourable. Selfless. It took me a while to realise this, and if you're wondering how to be kind through actions, you need to seriously reassess your outlook on life.

Words are wind, actions are stone. You can't fake an action as well as you can fake a word.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Jon wrote:This is so fucking true. You can't just be kind through words, especially text. You have to be kind in action, and generous, honourable. Selfless. It took me a while to realise this, and if you're wondering how to be kind through actions, you need to seriously reassess your outlook on life.

Words are wind, actions are stone. You can't fake an action as well as you can fake a word.

Well said, Jon. You can't stab someone and then say 'Haha, just kidding!' It's been done and there's no reversing it.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Phewz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:45 am

Jon wrote:
Sæglópur wrote:
UnusAngelusAlatum wrote:

This is so fucking true. You can't just be kind through words, especially text. You have to be kind in action, and generous, honourable. Selfless. It took me a while to realise this, and if you're wondering how to be kind through actions, you need to seriously reassess your outlook on life.

to follow this up and bring it back to the 'nice guys finish last' argument
if you're only nice because you think you'll get something in return then you aren't actually all that nice
^ art thread, updated 18/01 ^
fasbook page | picfarto | dumblr | twatter
PhewzOffline
ヽ(’ ▽’ )ノ
Retired

Postby Alexis » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Phewz wrote:to follow this up and bring it back to the 'nice guys finish last' argument
if you're only nice because you think you'll get something in return then you aren't actually all that nice

But what if, perhaps that said guy does something very important/or makes a huge impact on the girls life yet she goes with another.
isnt that said guy deserving of atleast a reward of some kind? :x
Don't Start.
AlexisOffline
pretty fuckin' dead
VIP

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 am

UnusAngelusAlatum wrote:
Phewz wrote:to follow this up and bring it back to the 'nice guys finish last' argument

But what if, perhaps that said guy does something very important/or makes a huge impact on the girls life yet she goes with another.
isnt that said guy deserving of atleast a reward of some kind? :x

True kindness is being kind and not caring whether or not you get anything out of it. Some people find happiness in making others happy.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:17 am

i'll be honest you can do as much as you want and she wouldn't have to owe you shit. it's better not to expect anything out of people if you're gonna do something nice for them

nice guys finish last is the dumbest debate ever. no they don't. they drown in pussy
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby lordkazari » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:01 pm

I beat up nice guys like you almost everyday, there's nothing good about them at all
lordkazariOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby XElite109 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am

lordkazari wrote:I beat up nice guys like you almost everyday, there's nothing good about them at all
i think I'm a nice guy so please dont beat me up. or i'll kick your ass.
XElite109Offline
VIP
VIP

Return to Debate Area