One Punch Collab (Released!)

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: One Punch Collab

Postby Memphis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Raymond wrote:It will be out later tonight guys.

That's some prompt flashing, Ray! Now you got me hyped up, I need to see this today.
Shadow-Lith 2 - Being flashed
Spoiler:
former names on the old DD: ~Sharp / Memphis / sm0k33w33d420 / PervertedScumFuck / Radium / VginaDinahr / Camden / Mayfire
MemphisOffline
Active
Active

Re: One Punch Collab (Released!)

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:15 am

I'm sorry if the flashing is mediocre. I wouldn't say I rushed it, but I didn't want it to take weeks. Thanks everyone for taking the time to make something!

phpBB [video]
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Cressel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 am

Fuel and Hades stole the spotlight for me, but really great entries from everyone. It's refreshing to see the collab went this well.
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby elixir » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 am

loved hades, blademasters, and fuels part. music choice was bad
Last edited by elixir on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
elixirOffline
VIP

Postby Memphis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:32 am

Great entries, decent flashing, terrible song choice. Whoever requested the first song to be used deserves acid poured down their ear canal. I felt like closing the tab 10 seconds into the collab because of it. And the other 2 tracks weren't top notch either.
Raymond I had expected you to be a bit more secure on the music, you know DD has always had a thing for names like The Chemical Brothers or The Crystal Method etc. This is too much, and strays too far away from the DD feel. I'm not against change but if change sounds like Geno's theme, then no thanks.

Quoting what Skype said a while ago:
It's not a community desicion at all. Whoever is in charge just make a call. You can't let the community decide everything.

Let that sink in slowly.

You want to evolve and become better? Can't do so without a wake-up call and harsh criticism. I had to let you know in case you thought it was a good idea to use Geno's theme. People can serve you shit on a festive platter, doesn't mean you have to take it and enjoy it. Same goes with this song.

All things considered, and leaving the above behind, it was a solid collab. 7 minutes is a relatively good length, albeit after a while it gets repetitive and predictable. I really liked Fuel's, way out of the league and unquestionably the best entry of all. Jojishi's choice of backgrounds is so good it reminds me of Obisam's DDC10. Nostalgia hits hard, damn it.
Congratulations to everyone involved. Hoping for better collabs in the future.

Spoiler:
I'm sorry if I came out as an ass but someone had to say it. I can't be the only one who thinks so.
Spoiler:
former names on the old DD: ~Sharp / Memphis / sm0k33w33d420 / PervertedScumFuck / Radium / VginaDinahr / Camden / Mayfire
MemphisOffline
Active
Active

Postby Fuel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 am

Cressel wrote:Fuel and Hades stole the spotlight for me, but really great entries from everyone. It's refreshing to see the collab went this well.

Thank you Cressel, your comment made me so happy (smile . I wanna take this moment to give a special thanks to Raymond for taking my entry in, its been about 6 years since I've been active/animating and I miss this community deeply. This revived the animating spirit inside me. Everybody did awesome!! This collab shows that TDD is still going strong! (thumbsup
Shadowlith 2: 5820 frames (complete)

Youtube Channel(StickComex) I Animation Thread!
FuelOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby elixir » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:42 am

i agree with you so fucking much @hades
Last edited by elixir on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
elixirOffline
VIP

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:33 am

Fucking hell, why didn't I think up and turn in just turning in the final linework and the rough animation combined... Well, for anyone who wants to see my whole part here it is:
(Except I was supposed to paste the starting image from the show and make it into linework.

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Jojishi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:37 am

I've got to say, this collab knocked me off my feet. I honestly wasn't expecting anything this good, which shows that even with such a simple premise, the animators here will go above and beyond. Fantastic animations everyone!

Stand-out animations to me were Hades, Fuel and Blademaster. But I honestly loved all of them. Your animation was excellent Raymond, and I thought Gary's was insanely creative. I liked your entry Secretname, but it's a shame you didn't send in the rest. There's some great timing with the cinematics, as well as nice line work.

I must say, it's pretty damn cool that two of the stand-out animations were from animators who just came back. I remember seeing Fuel's name on the entry list and I was wondering if it was the Intermediate who got in the DDC10, or some new member. I was pleasantly surprised. Your entry was absolutely incredible (especially that one scene where the camera angle flew around the clouds).

Hades had a fantastic entry with the 3D. The skull-cracking effect was done splendidly. Yet another animator I'm glad to see has made an epic comeback.

As for the songs, I thought they were fine. I honestly don't see what the problem was with them. I think hearing yet another Prodigy song or whatever else is commonly used with our videos would get a bit annoying. It's nice to have a change and I thought they fit the animations. But I can like some far-out there stuff so my opinion isn't common I suppose. You did an excellent job with the flashing Raymond, and this also has to be the fastest flashing of a collab ever. I commend you for that. :)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby VBxp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:32 am

^I would type a paragraph but Jojishi pretty much summed up everything I would say
Loved the Collab, I hope to join many more in the future
New to DarkDemon
VBxpOffline
Active
Active

Postby Gary » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 am

The music choice was less than ideal, but it turned out to be a pretty great collab either way in the end!
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Xeroz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 am

The collab turned great! Chris, Hades, Fuel, Flame, Jojishi and Raymond's entries really stood out!
It was nicely combined and I liked the music choice.
Turned out, one simple idea for animation could be done in a lot of different, amazing ways.
I'm really glad I took part in this!
Let's hope there'll be many, many more great collabs like this one!
Congratulations to everyone and thumbs up for your great work!
Stay awesome!

^My Thread^
XerozOffline
The Doge
VIP

Postby Setto » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:26 am

It turned out great! Gary had the best part by far, but Fuel was cool too. Too bad i thought i only had the 2 days, or I would have made something a little more impressive seeing as hitman had a better part than me XD. Good job guys
Edit*. Just for the record i thought the music was fine. Not great, but ok. Or maybe im just an uncultured swine who has no taste x3
ShadowLith: 450 frames
Katana guy vs big sword dude: 84 frames
pyro vs setto: i think its like 890 frames or something idfk
SettoOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:07 pm

I expected some mixed opinions. It's somewhat unavoidable when there's so many different people that watch the collab.

I apologize to those of you who didn't like the music. You're a smart guy Hades and you know what your talking about. If I organize and flash another collab I'll definitely keep a mental note of what you said. However I would just like to say that I don't give a damn what Skype thinks. I have no respect for him and whether he browses the forum and sees this comment or not, I could care less. For the majority of our collabs we usually make our own calls on which music to use, but this collab was not one of them. I hosted this collab and had my own idea for the outcome. I wanted it to be a fun collab that everyone could participate in, which is why I allowed all ranks and included every entry I received.

I didn't just choose the song because FlamingSosej2732 suggested it. I had planned on using songs from the One Punch Man anime. I know the artists you mentioned (The Chemical Brothers and The Crystal Method) have good songs, but most of their songs contain lyrics, and half the time the lyrics don't pertain to the actual animations and in my opinion that draws attention away from them. I received a lot of high energy entries, so I felt songs with a lot of energy behind them would look good. And the One Punch Man songs have loads of energy, which is why they were used in the series.

In my defense, I did ask you guys to suggest some songs. So you did have a chance to chime in and share your opinion before the collab was flashed. I know you entered this collab late Hades and I still thank you for making something last minute. You did great considering the time frame you had!

When I first started the flashing I had used a different song that wasn't related to the One Punch Man series, and it looked pretty good, but afterwards I received 5 more entries, including yours Hades, so I needed to use additional songs, and it's hard to pick the right songs that fall on the cinematic queues of each animation. Since there were so many One Punch Man songs that had a similar vibe, it was easier to just use them rather than mix two different songs together. Besides, I have the same view as Jojishi and Setto. I felt like the music was fine. Maybe not perfect, but it fits the overall ambience of the entries I received. Regardless I will still take in everyone's criticism for next time. And I don't think you were being harsh at all, but rather sharing your view on the collab, which I can only benefit from!

I already admitted the flashing could be better, but I've seen some collabs take months to flash, and I've always told myself if I flashed a collab I wouldn't let that happen. I wanted to make a better entry too, but given my time constraints, I think it turned out ok.

As for all the participants. I know I said thanks to the majority of you. But I want to give a special thanks to Blademaster for making so many entries, and to Fuel and Gatashu who both came out of no where with absolutely amazing entries! Yes I liked your entry very much Gatashu! I may have organized and flashed the collab, but you guys made it successful!
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Memphis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Raymond wrote:
Spoiler:
I apologize to those of you who didn't like the music. You're a smart guy Hades and you know what your talking about. If I organize and flash another collab I'll definitely keep a mental note of what you said. However I would just like to say that I don't give a damn what Skype thinks. I have no respect for him and whether he browses the forum and sees this comment or not, I could care less. For the majority of our collabs we usually make our own calls on which music to use, but this collab was not one of them. I hosted this collab and had my own idea for the outcome. I wanted it to be a fun collab that everyone could participate in, which is why I allowed all ranks and included every entry I received.

I didn't just choose the song because FlamingSosej2732 suggested it. I had planned on using songs from the One Punch Man anime. I know the artists you mentioned (The Chemical Brothers and The Crystal Method) have good songs, but most of their songs contain lyrics, and half the time the lyrics don't pertain to the actual animations and in my opinion that draws attention away from them. I received a lot of high energy entries, so I felt songs with a lot of energy behind them would look good. And the One Punch Man songs have loads of energy, which is why they were used in the series.

In my defense, I did ask you guys to suggest some songs. So you did have a chance to chime in and share your opinion before the collab was flashed. I know you entered this collab late Hades and I still thank you for making something last minute. You did great considering the time frame you had!

When I first started the flashing I had used a different song that wasn't related to the One Punch Man series, and it looked pretty good, but afterwards I received 5 more entries, including yours Hades, so I needed to use additional songs, and it's hard to pick the right songs that fall on the cinematic queues of each animation. Since there were so many One Punch Man songs that had a similar vibe, it was easier to just use them then mix two different songs together. Besides, I have the same view as Jojishi and Setto. I felt like the music was fine. Maybe not perfect, but it fits the overall ambience of the entries I received. Regardless I will still take in everyone's criticism for next time. And I don't think you were being harsh at all, but rather sharing your view on the collab, which I can only benefit from!

I already admitted the flashing could be better, but I've seen some collabs take months to flash, and I've always told myself if I flashed a collab I wouldn't let that happen. I wanted to make a better entry too, but given my time constraints, I think it turned out ok.

I appreciate your input, and also your patience to write a long post to clarify things. I know I went a little overboard but I had to get my point across in the most uninterpretable way. My 2 cents may or may not mean anything, but generally speaking it's good to take everyone's views (good or bad) into consideration and put them forward in the future collabs. I didn't write that to be a rebel and look cool in the eyes of others, I did so because there was something in there that was not pleasant to me. And seeing how much you seem to value the community's voice, I expect you to draw a conclusion and improve even further. (:P
Spoiler:
MemphisOffline
Active
Active

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements