Ray's Thread: One Punch Collab Entry

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Ray's Thread: Staff Play

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:38 am

I originally started this animation without much intention. I just wanted to practice making backgrounds, but since I made them relatively easy to use I decided to practice some staff moves. I didn't have any onion skin because I decided not to use sprites and I also had no idea how to use a staff. So I got fed up with working on this pretty quickly. I used this video as a reference. It might look like I rotoscoped it, but I really didn't.

Staff Play
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Yogurt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 am

okay that was really really cool
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby The Black Mamba » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 am

Damn man, that was pretty cool. I liked the 3D a lot, it was executed pretty nice. It was a little boring though, I thought he would move around more. Use his legs more if you do something like this again, it was still really good though, fluid movements. Good shit.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Jon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:57 am

Awesome as always dude. Love your animations.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:38 am

This was my favourite animation from you. Awesome job!
AmirOffline
The Red Boss
The Red Boss

Postby Echo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am

I'm a big fan of staff and shit, I've been trying to do it my self. And than you just make this 200+ frames long animation... dude I cri evy tim :'(

And now for the real comment
Dude this animation is really awesome, interesting and fun to watch. I wounder how much more amazing it would have been if you had onion skin :O haha.

I really like this! Keep It Up!

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks guys. Now that this animation is finished I'll start adding more to my DDC entry. I think that will be my longest animation yet if I keep it up. :)
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby tuna » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 am

ehhh it was pretty cool, the colour of the staff didn't really stand out much against the background and the poses weren't really drawn out. like the walk on screen, fuck those small baby steps we wanna see confident strides. same spacing, just longer distance between legs, looks cooler. could have used his legs for more power y'know, and the back. power comes from the core mostly. in animation it's important to have dynamic poses and such, even if they're not exactly 100% true to real life. the spacing was consistent, but too consistent. if that staff is being swung at the same pace everywhere, looks bland. increases and decreases in spacing are the spice to all animation. otherwise, the spacing was consistent where it needed to be, the 3D bit on the staff was neat and the background, I loved it, but the animation was made bland by poses and spacing.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Caleb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:40 pm

At least one more frame in that walk cycle wouldn't hurt. For the rest it was sexy as fuck. Actually, I also didn't like the way the camera starts moving at the end. Gave me hope there was a lot more to come, but it just stopped there. Still really nice though.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby kellawgs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 pm

You definitely got the most natural looking animations around. Really, truly, honestly impressive.
frogs settle into the night
kellawgsOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Caleb wrote:At least one more frame in that walk cycle wouldn't hurt. For the rest it was sexy as fuck. Actually, I also didn't like the way the camera starts moving at the end. Gave me hope there was a lot more to come, but it just stopped there. Still really nice though.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I probably would have made this a lot longer if I had some onion skin to work with. Not being able to see the previous frames made it incredibly hard to keep the spacing consistent and that's what I spent a majority of my time doing. Cycling through the frames over and over again to match up foot placement and spacing patterns, which is why the spacing is probably too consistent, like Tuna said.

My DDC has a lot more variation in spacing that I hope you guys will like. And maybe if I really go ham I could hit my first 1000 framed animation before the deadline. Thanks again for all the comments guys. :D
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby tuna » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 am

wait hold on, pivot 4 lets you have onionskin in front of other figures...?
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Rashboo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am

Tuna wrote:wait hold on, pivot 4 lets you have onionskin in front of other figures...?

I think some people still use Pivot 2/3. Not sure why tho
RashbooOffline
Hello
Hello

Postby tuna » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:32 am

don't think raymond does though
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby MCToast » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 am